Thread: SAT prep classes

that's a shame

SAT prep classes

Any recommendations?
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

he's right
    We started with a book of practice exams, and did not prod much about doing them. Neither kid really did much. I figured that told me everything I needed to know.

reminding you how wonderful and accommodating you are
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    We started with a book of practice exams, and did not prod much about doing them. Neither kid really did much. I figured that told me everything I needed to know.
    We did the same, except my son decided he wanted to take the ACT instead of SAT. He took studied from the book and took some practice tests.

Check with your school/district and ask what is available. Our district has school level after school tutoring weekly during the year (which is useful once you complete a few practice tests and identify weak areas) and summer "boot camps" for a nominal fee. Not sure how valuable similar programs would be if something similar is offered.

The SAT has changed over the past few years; sections are fewer but longer, less focus on obscure vocab and the optional essay, so make sure anything you purchase is up-to-date with the new format.

No recommendations but be careful. Our home number ended up on some ACT/SAT Prep Course call list. They said they could guarantee a 4 point improvement in my son’s composite score. He had already gotten a 32, so I had a little fun trying to get the salesperson to commit to guaranteeing my son would get a perfect score on the ACT by taking their class. Needless to say, he wouldn’t commit to that. Stick with a program sponsored by your son/daughter’s high school (that’s what we did). The outside companies seem like money grabs.
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

When I looked into this for my older daughter, I found that research indicated that test prep courses give results that are generally indistinguishable from self-directed use of test books, in which one takes the practice tests, carefully goes over the wrong answers, etc. Of course there are edge cases, and also some people rationally decide the most effective way to prod their children to dedicate the time and attention to practice tests is to put them through a test prep course.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

https://collegereadiness.collegeboar...y-practice-app

There's an app from ^ dot org that our school encourages. Not only is a daily question good practice, I think the daily reminder component helps kids stay focused around their education goals. Mine is easily distracted so this helps!
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol