Thread: Which water park in July ?

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar

Question Which water park in July ?

For the first time ever, we are visiting Mickey during the hottest part of the year. We usually only travel to Disney in the winter months, although we went several times in the fall over a decade ago. So, to combat the July heat, we are going to splurge on a water park. Any opinions on which one to spend our money on ? Any other tips ? We are a family of 5 adults.

Thanks!
    Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by 3Caballeros View Post
    For the first time ever, we are visiting Mickey during the hottest part of the year. We usually only travel to Disney in the winter months, although we went several times in the fall over a decade ago. So, to combat the July heat, we are going to splurge on a water park. Any opinions on which one to spend our money on ? Any other tips ? We are a family of 5 adults.

Thanks!
    Mitzi
    We prefer Typhoon Lagoon. Itís a little more laid back. Less slides and stuff, but the wave pool is nice and relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are both great. Some of it sort of depends on the attractions you prefer. BB has a steeper more intense body slide and the chair lift, TL has crusher gusher and 2 family raft rides and its wave pool has bigger more intense waves at times. We prefer the seating areas at BB (they dont feel as large/crowded) but would mostly end up at TL as we like the overall park better (Im not a thrill slide person). You would have a great time at either. And you could always go to both

Quote Originally Posted by graydogg51 View Post
    We prefer Typhoon Lagoon. It’s a little more laid back. Less slides and stuff, but the wave pool is nice and relaxing.
    Thank you!

I should have pointed out that 3 of the 5 adults are my 18 year old triplets who love the slides :)

Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    They are both great. Some of it sort of depends on the attractions you prefer. You would have a great time at either. And you could always go to both
    Thanks!

I wish we could afford both but we are on a tight budget with 3 going off to college this August (sniff, sniff.... ). We're not even going into the parks except for our 1 water park day. We camp at Fort Wilderness so will enjoy the pool and spending time at resorts, etc.

that's a shame
    If your kids like big slides then definitely BB.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

I preferred Typhoon Lagoon because it has a really tropical feel, fun slides, and a crazy and unique wave pool. I liked BB, because it has a cute theme, but for me, some of the slides were just terrifying. I couldn’t even watch people go down the Summit Plummet let alone ride it. It seemed like there were better kids areas in BB, which would have little appeal to your group.
    Brandi

I'd say go for TL. There are enough slides to make the 18 yo's happy, and once they start dealing with that wave pool, they may not come out much anymore. Seriously, the wave pool at TL is the best I've ever seen. Nothing like being in the deep end, in water over your head depth, and seeing a 6 foot wave barreling down on you. It's for experienced swimmers only. I've never even seen waves that big when I've visited the Gulf of Mexico.
    The body surfing is so much fun. The slides and tube chutes at TL are fun, too, but you can only go back up the stairs so many times. The wave pool gives you a place to stay in the water for a long time.

BB slides are more intense, but the summit plummet is painful wedgie world for me, plus the water coming off my feet straight into my face makes for a bad time. The racing mat slide is my favorite, but the stairs!! omg so many stairs to get up to the top. Even at my most fit, 4 trips was enough. The other slides and tube chutes are comparable to TL. BB's wave pool is a bobbler type wave pattern. No real waves, just rough bouncy water. Not as much fun as TL.
    1st Trip - Honeymoon! - 1983
    Latest Trip - Bucket List trip with Grandkids - 2014

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    We've never been to BB but the Wave Pool at TL is amazing. Hard to describe the rush of adrenaline when you're out treading water in the deep end and you hear the WHOOSH and see the massive wave rushing toward you. Our typical strategy is to rope drop, dump stuff in the locker, do some family slides, then the kid (16) and I will do a few runs on the Humunga Kowabunga while mom watches, some mini donuts, a lap on the lazy river, wave pool until lunch, a post-lunch lap on the lazy river, then back to the room for showers and head to a park.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Thank you guys so much for all the input - truly appreciated!

TL is beginning to look like it might be the winner.... ! Now, for the uber planner in me (aren't we all ?) .... where do we put our stuff ? Lounge chairs ? Will I have a place to chill out and read a book or something whilst the triplets risk their lives in the TL wave pool ? It was mentioned above that you put your stuff in lockers... that confused me a bit. I'm such a newbie to the water parks! agh! It feels weird not knowing my way around a Disney park!!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Lots of people just leave their stuff on a chair (or two) but I don't feel comfortable with that, and we all bring cell phones, so we just rent a locker and don't worry about leaving valuables unattended. You pay one price for the day, with a physical key you keep with you, so you can return to it several times over the course of the day.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Lots of people just leave their stuff on a chair (or two) but I don't feel comfortable with that, and we all bring cell phones, so we just rent a locker and don't worry about leaving valuables unattended. You pay one price for the day, with a physical key you keep with you, so you can return to it several times over the course of the day.
    Gotcha! Thanks!

that's a shame
    If you want to splurge, the cabanas are pretty sweet.

https://touringplans.com/blog/2015/0...ng-luxury-fun/
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

I've always preferred BB and I'm not a fan of big drops. I love the lazy river there. I think the wave pool at TL would scare me but your kids might love it.
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

he's right
    If you are still trying to decide (or for others): It's been a while, but my take is that TL is the "more Disney" of the two, but BB has better slides. The former may be less true now that the Shark thing is gone. That was just so unique! But I think the theming of TL does a better job of creating a convincing sense of time and place than BB does. The "winter" thing going on at BB just doesn't work for me when it's Florida-summer-hot out.

As far as "Stuff" we rent a locker for the important things - phones, ID, change of clothes. We then use a reusable shopping bag for sunscreen, books and magazines for at the chairs. Find a spot you like early as it will start to get busy. At BB we like by the exit for the family raft (down all the way around to the right.) there are a few little sections of less than 15 chairs. At TL we like over by where the sharks cove used to be (also down around to the right). It gets less crowded and is close to the restrooms, food, slides and lazy river. Finding a good spot with some shade is ideal.

Has anyone ever rented the Umbrella option ? I've read it's only for 4 people and you would only receive 4 wrist bands but there are 5 of us so we'd never be in the roped off area together even if we shared a wrist band. I think that's ridiculous. I get only allowing us 4 chairs and 1 umbrella but to not allow the 5th person to even share the chair because they would simply not be permitted into the roped off area. UGH
    We looked into the Cabana but the price was TOOOOO much for us, especially since we'll be in the water a lot. There are FREE umbrellas, eh ? I'd assume they get snapped up quickly, but we intend to rope drop the water park so, maybe we have a chance at one or two ?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Caballeros View Post
    Has anyone ever rented the Umbrella option ? I've read it's only for 4 people and you would only receive 4 wrist bands but there are 5 of us so we'd never be in the roped off area together even if we shared a wrist band. I think that's ridiculous. I get only allowing us 4 chairs and 1 umbrella but to not allow the 5th person to even share the chair because they would simply not be permitted into the roped off area. UGH
    We looked into the Cabana but the price was TOOOOO much for us, especially since we'll be in the water a lot. There are FREE umbrellas, eh ? I'd assume they get snapped up quickly, but we intend to rope drop the water park so, maybe we have a chance at one or two ?
    If you will be rope dropping you easily should be able to find chairs with shade without needing to book a reserved umbrella. We normally don't rope drop but still have little issue finding comfortable chairs for 5