Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possible adults only trip—feeling a little guilty....

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    My real estate brokerage company gets Golden Oak e-mails all the time. Those Olive Gardens on Steroids do nothing for me. There's absolutely no subtlety to them. And you're required to use one of several styles. No thanks.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    My real estate brokerage company gets Golden Oak e-mails all the time. Those Olive Gardens on Steroids do nothing for me. There's absolutely no subtlety to them. And you're required to use one of several styles. No thanks.
    Yep, I’m not a fan. And starting at $2million.... nope!
    Brandi

You people are harshing my dream of independent wealth and living at Disney World! Grant me those two things and I'll live in a clown house!

Are there onsite benefits to having a home in Golden Oaks? Otherwise I'd rather build a custom vacation home with the $2 million disposable vacation $ that I don't actually have ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    You people are harshing my dream of independent wealth and living at Disney World! Grant me those two things and I'll live in a clown house!
    Haha!!
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Are there onsite benefits to having a home in Golden Oaks? Otherwise I'd rather build a custom vacation home with the $2 million disposable vacation $ that I don't actually have ;-)
    I don’t know, but I’ve got $2 million for a vacation house, I’d imagine I could purchase whatever park perks I desire.
    Brandi

It looks like some combination of regular onsite benefits, plus some DVC and AP style stuff thrown in: EMH, 60-day FP+, access to a special Golden Oak AP ( I think you get a few free ones for a limited time after you first purchase), access to Top of the World, the DVC lounge in Epcot, invites to signature experiences, etc. For $2mm and up I'd expect free AP for at least 2 people for life, but this seems to cover at least the minimum necessary to tie in to WDW.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

It looks like some combination of regular onsite benefits, plus some DVC and AP style stuff thrown in: EMH, 60-day FP+, access to a special Golden Oak AP ( I think you get a few free ones for a limited time after you first purchase), access to Top of the World, the DVC lounge in Epcot, invites to signature experiences, etc. For $2mm and up I'd expect free AP for at least 2 people for life, but this seems to cover at least the minimum necessary to tie in to WDW.
    Sign me up for the clown house!

In addition to the $2 million up front, it is also something like $20k a year in HOA dues. That alone I would expect AP for life, plus a lot of other benefits.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    In addition to the $2 million up front, it is also something like $20k a year in HOA dues. That alone I would expect AP for life, plus a lot of other benefits.
    At which cost would you not expect APs for life plus other benefits? $20,000/year in HOA dues isn’t an unreasonable amount for properties of that size, amenities, costs to keep the grounds up, maintenance, etc. This comes to $1,666/month for a $2MM+ property which probably has to carry hurricane insurance, among other things. That HOA fee is more or less what an approaching-higher-end 2BR/2BA condo in Chicago would run.

Stupid Judy.

Y’all, just finished this trip and it was pretty fabulous. Thanks for the encouragement to taking an adults only trip. Finding same day FPs for two is pretty great also.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Y’all, just finished this trip and it was pretty fabulous. Thanks for the encouragement to taking an adults only trip. Finding same day FPs for two is pretty great also.
    Hooray! So glad you had a great time. Did you find it a much different experience with just the two you of from a trip with everyone?

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hooray! So glad you had a great time. Did you find it a much different experience with just the two you of from a trip with everyone?
    Yes! It was really different. The only time we went to park opening was for the extra extra magic hours at HS, we had leisurely dinners (and brunch!), without a thought about a kids menu or what they would prefer, and we saw all the shows we wanted to see without any dissenters. While there were times we missed being with the kids, it was nice to have a more relaxing, adult time. I feel like I’ve actually been on vacation and was not exhausted at the end. We hadn’t been out of town without the kids in probably 8 or 9 years, and even then it was for a conference and my husband came along for the trip, so it was a very nice change of pace.
    Brandi

A couple of thoughts on the adults-only trip....

The food and wine festival at Epcot was a lot of fun. We took the time on the drive down to think about what we wanted to try and made a list. While we didn’t get to everything on the list, we had an awesome time trying. The highlights were the scallop and shrimp scampi from coastal eats and the duck confit poutine from the refreshment port. We also enjoyed the flights from Shimmering Sips, Belgium, and Germany.

The EEMH is HS is worth doing, although the actual Smugglers Run ride was a bit disappointing. I did love the queue, as it made you feel like you were on the millennium Falcon. We arrived at HS at about 5:30 and during EEMH we rode slinky dog, TSMM, RnR, ToT, had coffee and a breakfast sandwich at the trolley car, walked back to Galaxy’s Edge and rode smugglers run, rode slinky and TSMM both again, then right at RD rode Star Tours. We kept our reservation for Oga’s. I think it’s worth doing once, although I don’t know if I’d go back. We left to nap, and hang out at the resort (POFQ), and returned to see the Frozen show, have dinner, and see the Galactic Spectacular.

The night we attended the Halloween Party, we only had party tickets, so went to DS for brunch at STK. The food and service were both very good, but the atmosphere at the restaurant is definitely more geared towards nighttime dining. We also tried a Frozcato from the “Basket” window at the George Wine Bar. Those should be available resort-wide, awesome. I might start a petition.

The Halloween Party was awesome. We were able to book FPs from 4-6. We rode basically all the rides we wanted and enjoyed the party events. The chocolate waffle pumpkin gelato sundae from Sleepy Hollow did not disappoint.

Our last day was at AK, we arrived around 11:00, rode FoP with FPs twice, rode NRJ, EE, KS, all with FPs—refreshing is your friend, especially if you only need two FPs, and we enjoyed the Lion King, Nemo, and the bird show.

It was a great trip, and thanks again to all those who encouraged us to go!
    Brandi

YAY! So glad you had a wonderful trip. Seeing it with kids is fantastic, but it really is a different place without them.
    Jen

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Thanks for the update. Your take on the Halloween party is encouraging. We ended up buying tickets for MVMCP for our couples trip in December, even though we're going to the party in November with the kids too. With all the posts about crazy-crowded-sold-out Halloween parties I was starting to worry that the waits for rides would be prohibitive.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Thanks for the update. Your take on the Halloween party is encouraging. We ended up buying tickets for MVMCP for our couples trip in December, even though we're going to the party in November with the kids too. With all the posts about crazy-crowded-sold-out Halloween parties I was starting to worry that the waits for rides would be prohibitive.
    Prior to the party, we had FPs for Buzz, 7DMT, and JC. We did CoP and TTA prior to the party as well. During the party, we rode HM, PotC, BTMRR and Space. All had pretty minimal waits, maybe 20 at most, pirates was the longest, but we were moving the whole time with no FP returners to stop the line. We also sat in the Laugh Floor for awhile. We then caught the 9ish parade, watched the fireworks, and the Villain show. After that we caught the beginning of the 11ish parade in frontier land, since we missed that before. Once we started seeing floats we had already seen, we hustled out to catch the bus back to our resort. Which arrived and left quickly, thank goodness.
    Brandi