Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible adults only trip—feeling a little guilty....

I have 2 girls, 12 and 13. My best friend is a DVC member and last year said she was planning an all ladies trip. I had a pang of guilt but am so excited to be going. There are 7 of us going for a week and staying at Bay Lake. My kids have been to Disney 3 times and love it but I have less guilt about it as time goes on. My husband wants to go other places on family trips, which I totally understand. Because of my friend's DVC, a 2 bedroom is costing us $200 each (maintenance fee) for the week and I bought my plane ticket with points. My only real cost will be food and my park hopper. GO have fun!!!
    10/88 - Off Site, 5/89 -Off Site, 4/94 - Poly, 5/96 - Swan, 9/99 - Tree House Villas, 3/02 - WL, 3/04 - CR, 11/11 - Poly,
    10/16 - POR

Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr
    ^The above Aug/Sep 5-day trip was horrible for me as I had the flu and the weather was disgusting, hot and rainy. My husband surprised me with an adults only long weekend 2 months later in Oct for my Halloween BDay. It was an easy decision as my 14yo already used schooldays for yearly WDWs and couldn't afford anymore absences, plus he's joined all the other numerous trips. At the time he totally took it in stride and as time passed he occasionally griped he didn't go that time, mostly in jest.

I agree with your Oct pick. The weather is Mighty Fine! And I think there's equal (but small) chances of ice/snow delays in Dec as hurricane/storm delays in Oct. Crowds yes, but I can't see Oct being worse than Dec here either. Holiday season feels like there'd be more regret not being with the kids and possibly missing some last minute seasonal event with them. Dec can get pretty hectic.

Your adult trip should feel guiltless. Your kids have visited plenty and will continue on future trips. It's important Mom & Dad get some time away to relax and enjoy each other's uninterrupted company... that is very good for your whole family. Would you feel less guilty going to a different 'adult' destination? You absolutely shouldn't :D A special souvenir couldn't hurt either. We did the same.

Oct turned out to be a fantastic trip for us. Have a fabulous anniversary!
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA

Thanks guys, we’re excited. I don’t think we’ll tell the kids we’re planning on doing MNSSHP, since they’ve never been to a hard ticket party.
    Brandi

I am glad you are doing and October is a great time to go. We just got back from a short Anniversary/RunDisney trip and it was awesome. We tried to do stuff we hadn’t done before and that made it good too. We did the Undiscovered Epcot tour which was worthwhile and does not even allow anyone under 16. (You go behind the scenes). Doing something like that might be fun for you guys.

So our tentative plan would be Friday-Monday:

Drive into Orlando Thursday, probably after midnight. Crash at offsite hotel.

Friday morning: check into Disney resort and bus to Epcot for F&W

Saturday: do either AK or HS, with the wacky am EMH schedule, I’m not really sure how we’d tackle this day yet. I’ll be following Josh’s posts on these to figure that out. I’m not inclined to purchase hoppers at this point.

Sunday: Brunch at DS, MNSSHP party night

Monday: Epcot again

Tuesday: head home
    Brandi

That sounds great!
    one thing you might want to think about is scheduling a romantic dinner (or 2) at a restaurant you wouldn't normally do with the kids. We really enjoyed Tiffens on our trip and isn't somewhere we would take the kids due to both their tastes & cost ( one would be after the $$ steak & the other would have us buying $30 chicken fingers or something )
    We ended up there & Monsieur Paul because we could have a bit more adult experience while maximizing park time.
    ~Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Darling View Post
    That sounds great!
    one thing you might want to think about is scheduling a romantic dinner (or 2) at a restaurant you wouldn't normally do with the kids. We really enjoyed Tiffens on our trip and isn't somewhere we would take the kids due to both their tastes & cost ( one would be after the $$ steak & the other would have us buying $30 chicken fingers or something )
    We ended up there & Monsieur Paul because we could have a bit more adult experience while maximizing park time.
    Yes! I’d like to try Tiffins. Id like to plan dinner for Saturday so it’ll depend on where we go. Im thinking Brown Derby if HS or Tiffins In AK. If we can’t get reservations I think we’ll do Nomad Lounge or the Brown Derby Lounge for drinks and food. We may end up doing that anyway!

I think we’ll have to check out Trader Sam’s at some point also... maybe before MNSSHP.
    Brandi

Enjoy! My wife and I did a quick, adults-only anniversary trip a few years back. Just a long weekend but it was a perfect length to recharge the batteries. Spent one day at F&W and one day lounging around the pool at Hilton Bonnet Creek with dinner at Disney Springs. Have a great trip!
    KEVIN

Cast: Me , DW, DS (12), DD(10), DS (5)
    Previous trips: 03/2009-ASMo, 03/2012-POR, 10/2014-AoA, 01/2016 - 1/2 Marathon, POR

Quote Originally Posted by kgillen View Post
    Enjoy! My wife and I did a quick, adults-only anniversary trip a few years back. Just a long weekend but it was a perfect length to recharge the batteries. Spent one day at F&W and one day lounging around the pool at Hilton Bonnet Creek with dinner at Disney Springs. Have a great trip!
    Thank you! Really looking forward to it.
    Brandi

My husband and I did a F&W centered trip a few years ago. We decided to go back by ourselves about 6 months after our first family trip. We missed the kids but really enjoyed exploring the parks at our own pace. The highlight for us was doing some of the low cost seminars. They just released the schedule for this year. I recommend taking a look over it and doing any of those that may interest you. It's pretty much impossible to do with kids (some require you to be 21 and older if they serve alcohol) so take advantage of those if they interest you.

Quote Originally Posted by Merida's Twin View Post
    My husband and I did a F&W centered trip a few years ago. We decided to go back by ourselves about 6 months after our first family trip. We missed the kids but really enjoyed exploring the parks at our own pace. The highlight for us was doing some of the low cost seminars. They just released the schedule for this year. I recommend taking a look over it and doing any of those that may interest you. It's pretty much impossible to do with kids (some require you to be 21 and older if they serve alcohol) so take advantage of those if they interest you.
    Thanks, I’ll have to look into those.
    Brandi

How far in advance would y’all recommend getting MNSSHP tickets? That would be the only part of the trip that would be non-refundable. My dog is having a health issue. She’s having a mass removed from her back on Wednesday, so I’d like to put off booking this trip until I know what we’re dealing with concerning our dog. It would be for a party the weekend prior to Halloween. I’d like to put off purchasing at least a month....
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    How far in advance would y’all recommend getting MNSSHP tickets? That would be the only part of the trip that would be non-refundable. My dog is having a health issue. She’s having a mass removed from her back on Wednesday, so I’d like to put off booking this trip until I know what we’re dealing with concerning our dog. It would be for a party the weekend prior to Halloween. I’d like to put off purchasing at least a month....
    Here is Touringplans 2018 post about picking a party (it looks like the 2019 post should be out soon).

https://touringplans.com/blog/2018/0...party-of-2018/

While their actual predictions aren't that helpful, they have a table showing historical data about which party dates have sold out and how far in advance. If you are going right at Halloween then those can sell out months in advance. But most don't sell out, or if they do, it's just 1-2 days in advance.

Good news! Things have fallen into place and we’ve been able to book our adults-only trip. Purchased the tickets today while watching college game day at WDW.

We’ll have have 3-day park tickets and MNSSHP tickets for Sunday night. My itinerary is, um, ambitious.

Here our rough plan:

Leave work earlyish on Thursday, get home to throw bags in the car and kiss the kids goodbye and drive to Gainesville.

Friday, drop off car and check in at POFQ and bus to Epcot for F&W.

Now here’s where thing could get dicey—Saturday go to HS for the 6am EEMH. We’re used to early mornings, but this is going to hurt as I fully intend to stay at Epcot til closing and hitting the F&W booths hard the night before. Anyway, I think we’ll drive to HS to avoid any transportation issues. We have 10:30 am reservations at Oga’s. We’ll definitely be heading back for a nap and returning for fireworks or whatever in the evening.

Sunday-we have 11am brunch reservations at STK in DS, and it’s our MNSSHP party night. So the plan will be to get there right at 4.

Monday—AK

Tuesday—return to reality.

Time to start planning our MNSSHP costume , will likely be lame, and my FP window opens Monday. Getting excited!
    Brandi

that's a shame
    That looks like fun.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

I'm so excied for you! You'll have a great time! Sure, your SWGE morning will hurt, but at least it's just the two of you. We had to move our Oct trip to January and the only thing DS is upset about is that we'll miss Food and Wine.
    Jen

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar

So the plan will be to get there right at 4.
    I don't know if you plan on meeting any characters or not but, if you are (or even if you're not!), I'd highly recommend getting there closer to 3:30. We went to the first party on the 16th and got there around that time and the lines for the party entrance were insane! Didn't help that there was really no organization whatsoever. Then, when you get through the tap style, there was only 2 people putting wristbands on and handing out party maps. They did open up more tap styles once they started letting people through, but by then it was too late for us to jump over. They did start letting us in around 3:45, maybe 3:50, so that was good. We were in line for Jack and Sally at exactly 4:00.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Thanks for the tip, we’ll plan on getting there a little early. We don’t have much interest in meeting characters. The only one I’d line up for is Elvis stitch, but my husband will likely need convincing.
    Brandi

Thanks for the tip, we’ll plan on getting there a little early. We don’t have much interest in meeting characters. The only one I’d line up for is Elvis stitch, but my husband will likely need convincing.
    What if you went as Lilo & Stitch? Then you'd have to get the photo, right? I mean, it'd practically be mandatory!
    ~Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Darling View Post
    What if you went as Lilo & Stitch? Then you'd have to get the photo, right? I mean, it'd practically be mandatory!
    Lol! I’d have a harder time selling that costume. My husband is more like, I’ll wear a captain America shirt, and he’s done.
    Brandi

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    You will LOVE your trip! WDW is a whole different place when traveling without kids.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    You will LOVE your trip! WDW is a whole different place when traveling without kids.
    Thanks! We are really looking forward to it. As the planning person, I’m already feeling the difference. I may not have to go through the bag check line!
    Brandi

I made my FPs this morning. I did not attempt to make FPs for the MNSSHP ticket, fearing it would kick out my FPs on the following day for AK.

FYI, I was able to get evening FP for SDD for the second day of our trip, and I had a great selection for FOP for the last day of our trip (63 days out).
    Brandi

Ok, now that all my stuff is booked and my planning is done, I’m getting peppered with emails from Disney about random stuff. They asked me to attend a DVC sales pitch, and in exchange they’ll give us a $50 gift card. I was momentarily swayed by the gift card offer, but knowing I’m not interested didn’t seem fair to the sales people. Then today I got an email about Golden Oak, the Disney subdivision....

I think I’ve crossed some magical threshold where I’ve booked so many trips they start thinking I’m serious about my WDW fandom and want to kick it up a notch.
    Brandi

I got the Golden Oaks email also. I seem to get one about twice every year starting maybe 3-4 years ago. I would love to have $2+ million to spend on a luxury home in the middle of WDW and nowhere near my job, but...
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge