Thread: Two concurrent room reservations - okay?

Two concurrent room reservations - okay?

Hopefully this is an easy question, I'm just nervous because I haven't done this before. In January I booked a trip for late July at CBR to take advantage of free dining. My family of four includes my wife and our teenage daughter, so we had been kicking around the idea of adding a second room with the idea that a little space would improve the quality of our vacation, by adding in more sink/bathroom space and ensuring our daughter doesn't have to deal with sharing a bed with her icky little brother. With today's new deals, I pulled the trigger and got a king room for my wife & I to add on to our existing reservation.

I made that second reservation in my name only, on the same profile as the existing one - will that mess anything up with my original reservation? I don't want to lose free dining for myself on the original reservation, so do I need to change the new reservation and book it under a different profile and/or a different guest name?

Side question: if it's okay, should I also add my wife to the new reservation, so that we'll both have MB for the room? Or can the MB from our first reservation be linked to the second room, too? Or will I just have a second set of MB to carry around to use as the room key, while using my first room's MB for everything else?

You can have multiple room reservations for the same dates linked to the same MDE account. We have had multiple rooms for our family on several occasions. Or when I can't decide on a resort I have booked both for our dates (to lock in the going discount) and decided later which to keep. I did have a phone CM tell me having two reservations could mess up MDE when the lead guest was the same so I can't say for sure it's 100% not a problem, but it didn't turn out to be a problem for us at the time.

All of your magic bands will work for any room where you are listed as a guest. I will note that if you are listed as a guest on more than one room at the same time it is kind of random where your magic band room charges will go.

ETA: I should add the last time we did this one room had the dining plan and one did not so all 4 of us were listed on both reservations and we had no problems redeeming the dining plan credits using any magic band. Once a magic band is linked to your profile it can universally access everything on your account. It is just a unique code that is linked to your account and your profile, nothing is stored on the magic band itself.

I have had that before as if we are going to stay moderate we want 2 rooms. Twice it has been okay, once I was on the phone with Disney and she made me change it. The other way to do it would be to call and have the two rooms booked under a single reservation number. If you do that you are going to get connecting. As it stands now it is two separate reservations and while you can request connecting you might not get it. We have stayed at CBR quite a bit and twice when making a room request with Touring Plans the person from CBR has emailed me back to talk to me about my request. If you decide to leave separate reservations and not call Disney I would at least have a request faxed in.

I think putting your wife on the reservation is fine if you don’t want to call and make a new reservation under the one number.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    I have had that before as if we are going to stay moderate we want 2 rooms. Twice it has been okay, once I was on the phone with Disney and she made me change it. The other way to do it would be to call and have the two rooms booked under a single reservation number. If you do that you are going to get connecting. As it stands now it is two separate reservations and while you can request connecting you might not get it. We have stayed at CBR quite a bit and twice when making a room request with Touring Plans the person from CBR has emailed me back to talk to me about my request. If you decide to leave separate reservations and not call Disney I would at least have a request faxed in.

I think putting your wife on the reservation is fine if you don’t want to call and make a new reservation under the one number.
    How do you get one reservation number? I tried to do this in 2013 and they wouldn't let me, they said it wasn't possible. I haven't tried again thinking it would be futile. I know a lot has changed in 6 years with MDE, is it routinely available to have a single number for 2 rooms and that helps get guaranteed connecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    How do you get one reservation number? I tried to do this in 2013 and they wouldn't let me, they said it wasn't possible. I haven't tried again thinking it would be futile. I know a lot has changed in 6 years with MDE, is it routinely available to have a single number for 2 rooms and that helps get guaranteed connecting?
    They can and will book 2 rooms under 1 reservation number.
    It has to be done on the phone and you have to just get the CM that knows what they are doing.
    It is easier, less of a battle to find the right CM, if you have the makeup of adults to minors that make it so you have to have 2 rooms but even without that, it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    They can and will book 2 rooms under 1 reservation number.
    It has to be done on the phone and you have to just get the CM that knows what they are doing.
    It is easier, less of a battle to find the right CM, if you have the makeup of adults to minors that make it so you have to have 2 rooms but even without that, it can be done.
    Good to know it's possible, thanks!!!

So I called to try to link the two reservations. To say this was a hassle is an understatement. Once I explained what I was doing the CM put me on hold and came back a few minutes later and immediately stated, "Well, I get what you're trying to do but you can't, and this call is going to get awkward." It was maybe the weirdest thing I've ever had a CM tell me on the phone.

Anyway, he said that if I hadn't called one of the reservations would have been randomly cancelled at some point because their system just can't handle one person being on two reservations. After going back and forth with him, he eventually transferred me to guest relations. That CM kept trying to push us into pirate rooms, which we have no interest in. He then said we could move to two rooms at POR for an extra $1300, or two preferred rooms at Pop for $900 less (all keeping the free dining, parkhoppers, etc.) or just all stay in one room. Regardless, we couldn't keep the two rooms for any reason - one would be cancelled, and they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be the one with free dining attached. So apparently the only way to make two rooms on one reservation is to book them both at the same time. If you don't do that, you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroCOTfan View Post

Anyway, he said that if I hadn't called one of the reservations would have been randomly cancelled at some point because their system just can't handle one person being on two reservations.
    This can't be a 100% true statement as we have had (recently) the same people on 2 different reservations without either being cancelled. Unless there was some change with the most recent MDE update. What a mess. I mean really, the system can't handle it? Only because the system is such a programing mess. Because why wouldn't Disney want you to pay for 2 rooms instead of 1? It's not like you are doing something nefarious here. Maybe it does sometimes cancel a reservation but not every time and since Disney doesn't know to whom or when this might happen they treat every instance as an "it will cancel" instead of "it might cancel ".

I suppose you could make a second MDE account with a different email address. New profiles for the people on the reservation that are NOT linked to the original MDE. Then make a note in the travel notes that the 2 rooms are traveling together and want connecting rooms. There is no way for the system to know Joe Smith on MDE account #1 is the same Joe Smith of MDE account #2. There would be LOTS of unintended cancellations otherwise. The down side is you might have lower priority for connecting rooms if the 2 rooms aren't clearly one family.

I might only put the primary guest's full legal name on the extra non-free dining room (and maybe have that be a different person than the primary guest on the free dining reservation). Then use nicknames as the names for the profiles for anyone else wanting a magic band for the 2nd room. Being careful to remember that those magic bands will only be good for the room but not tickets or fastpasses since they aren't linked to your "real" profile. But what a ridiculous amount of shenanigans just for the "privilege " of paying for 2 rooms.

We have had two reservations at the same resort at the same time with the same MDE account before and had no trouble at all. I put myself as the lead name on one room and my daughter as the lead name on the other room.

I honestly believe this is the case of misinformed CM. I would definitely call back and spin the CM roulette wheel and hope for a better outcome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was immensely frustrated. I went through the initial CM, who then escalated me to a Guest Relations CM, who then escalated me to a supervisor - all gave the same answer. I don't know if I got incredibly unlucky, or if they've made some change, or what, but none of them could explain why they were not willing to take my money. It was easily the most frustrating experience I've had with Disney customer service.

I find that absolutely ridiculous. I consult occassionally for a local travel agency, and our agents have never heard them to be unwilling to take the extra money and schedule 2 rooms. If any one can figure this out specifically the reasoning, I would live to hear it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So I called to try to link the two reservations. To say this was a hassle is an understatement. Once I explained what I was doing the CM put me on hold and came back a few minutes later and immediately stated, "Well, I get what you're trying to do but you can't, and this call is going to get awkward." It was maybe the weirdest thing I've ever had a CM tell me on the phone.

Anyway, he said that if I hadn't called one of the reservations would have been randomly cancelled at some point because their system just can't handle one person being on two reservations. After going back and forth with him, he eventually transferred me to guest relations. That CM kept trying to push us into pirate rooms, which we have no interest in. He then said we could move to two rooms at POR for an extra $1300, or two preferred rooms at Pop for $900 less (all keeping the free dining, parkhoppers, etc.) or just all stay in one room. Regardless, we couldn't keep the two rooms for any reason - one would be cancelled, and they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be the one with free dining attached. So apparently the only way to make two rooms on one reservation is to book them both at the same time. If you don't do that, you're screwed.
    The CM was 1000% incorrect.
    I have personally been the lead guest on 2 rooms at the same time twice.
    The rooms were not cancelled and we stayed in the rooms without issue.
    Phone CMs will NOT book the same guest as the lead in 2 rooms at once but MDE will most definitely do it if you do it online yourself.
    Phone CMs will book 2 rooms for 1 reservation number.
    I have been in contact with someone who works in Disney reservations and I know for a fact that they do still offer this as of today but it can be a struggle to get the CM to do it unless the group meets certain requirements such as a number of minors to adults. I am not clear on what this exact number is but say as an example, you had 6 kids and 1 adult. It can be done for any group but some CM are less receptive to doing it and the CM that I was in contact with was not able to explain just why that was. Other than it's complicated to book and the CM were being lazy

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    The CM was 1000% incorrect.
    I have personally been the lead guest on 2 rooms at the same time twice.
    The rooms were not cancelled and we stayed in the rooms without issue.
    Phone CMs will NOT book the same guest as the lead in 2 rooms at once but MDE will most definitely do it if you do it online yourself.
    Phone CMs will book 2 rooms for 1 reservation number.
    I have been in contact with someone who works in Disney reservations and I know for a fact that they do still offer this as of today but it can be a struggle to get the CM to do it unless the group meets certain requirements such as a number of minors to adults. I am not clear on what this exact number is but say as an example, you had 6 kids and 1 adult. It can be done for any group but some CM are less receptive to doing it and the CM that I was in contact with was not able to explain just why that was. Other than it's complicated to book and the CM were being lazy
    Given my experience, your experience, and Kim's experience of NEVER having had a duplicate reservation auto-cancelled do you think it EVER happens? Or do you think it's just the story the CMs are given to tell people to deter double booking? I guess what I'm wondering is might a cancellation accidentally happen 1 in 100 times and that is why they are trying to deter people from booking this way? It doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't want you to pay for 2 rooms as a policy. The only reason I would think they wouldn't want 2 reservations is what I have done in the past, make 2 reservations to lock in a discount but only plan to use 1 and cancel the duplicate later. Could it be possible that it is much more common for people to double book planning to cancel one rather than booking 2 rooms that people actually intend to use? I am just mystified that there is such a consistent party line from the phone CMs but it can be done successfully on the computer.

ETA: and I guess the whole thing has me reconsidering how safe it is to do this in the future. Either double book and cancel one room once we decide where we want to stay, or genuinely book 2 rooms we plan to use for more space, but have duplicate people listed in the rooms in order to get free dining.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Given my experience, your experience, and Kim's experience of NEVER having had a duplicate reservation auto-cancelled do you think it EVER happens? Or do you think it's just the story the CMs are given to tell people to deter double booking? I guess what I'm wondering is might a cancellation accidentally happen 1 in 100 times and that is why they are trying to deter people from booking this way? It doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't want you to pay for 2 rooms as a policy. The only reason I would think they wouldn't want 2 reservations is what I have done in the past, make 2 reservations to lock in a discount but only plan to use 1 and cancel the duplicate later. Could it be possible that it is much more common for people to double book planning to cancel one rather than booking 2 rooms that people actually intend to use? I am just mystified that there is such a consistent party line from the phone CMs but it can be done successfully on the computer.

ETA: and I guess the whole thing has me reconsidering how safe it is to do this in the future. Either double book and cancel one room once we decide where we want to stay, or genuinely book 2 rooms we plan to use for more space, but have duplicate people listed in the rooms in order to get free dining.
    I believe it's just what the CM are told to say and I believe MDE will never auto delete them.
    I haven't a clue why they are told to say that. Baffles me.
    Much Disney does though so I guess it's not a surprise that this does too.

Though I am certain they do not want people to do the bold. Nor do I blame them. When I've booked 2 rooms it's when I plan to use both.

How about if you call and explain to the CM that you have an existing reservation for your family in CBR during free dining. You'd like to add a connected room to spread out and is significant to your family's experience (if need be, tell them that your wife snores really loud and the kids refuse and are unable to sleep in the same room or whatever details you wouldn't mind sharing with them... although it's utter madness to need an excuse).
    See how they initially respond to the question of adding a connecting room to your existing reservation while not changing any other details, and go from there. Goodluck!

It's ridiculous WDW's 'system' is making this so difficult for you, sorry. They should love some easy money thrown in their direction. There is not one downside on their end that would explain their wanting to avoid it, unless there is some obscure way other people are exploiting this that we don't see? I doubt that tho; WDW should just take the extra money and let you enjoy your trip as you see fit and without huge complications.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    How about if you call and explain to the CM that you have an existing reservation for your family in CBR during free dining. You'd like to add a connected room to spread out and is significant to your family's experience (if need be, tell them that your wife snores really loud and the kids refuse and are unable to sleep in the same room or whatever details you wouldn't mind sharing with them... although it's utter madness to need an excuse).
    See how they initially respond to the question of adding a connecting room to your existing reservation while not changing any other details, and go from there. Goodluck!

It's ridiculous WDW's 'system' is making this so difficult for you, sorry. They should love some easy money thrown in their direction. There is not one downside on their end that would explain their wanting to avoid it, unless there is some obscure way other people are exploiting this that we don't see? I doubt that tho; WDW should just take the extra money and let you enjoy your trip as you see fit and without huge complications.

LOL @ your proposed excuse - and I legitimately used something very similar. Our 19-yr-old daughter doesn't want to have to share a bed with her 11-yr-old brother! Sadly, they had no sympathy.

I also literally asked them, "why won't you take my money?" The response was, "well, our system just won't allow what you're asking for."

I think the fundamental problem was that I booked the first room with free dining back in January, and then booked the second room when the summer room-only discounts came out. Since I didn't book them at the same time, they wouldn't just combine them - and I don't know if they could, because of the two separate deals. I honestly just called to have them "link" the two reservations so that we could request connecting rooms, but as soon as I did that is when the CM told me the call was going to get "awkward." At the very least, though, I thought they would combine the two rooms under free dining (even if it meant a price increase on the second room) but they weren't even willing to do that. I guess CBR free dining rooms were completely sold out, other than pirate rooms, which we had no interest in.

At the very least, though, I thought they would combine the two rooms under free dining (even if it meant a price increase on the second room) but they weren't even willing to do that.
    Their inability to resolve boggles my mind. Guests are steered into making plans so far in advance, so WDW should be willing & able to accommodate a totally reasonable request in good faith. Can you request to speak to a manager/leader and hope of a better chance at a solution? There has to be a way for them to over-ride the system to join your rooms, especially being you are willing to pay gap if necessary.

Or if you called and said you were curious about how to cancel your trip would a CM then get the authority to correct your circumstance? That's a trick I learned back when negotiating my crazy expensive $250/m cable bill. Calling to inquire about cancelling was enough for them quickly and easily cut my bill in half for the next contract. Maybe leading off with a cancellation inquiry will be the incentive WDW needs to do right by you.

Btw, I'm the snoring wife in the above scenario :P lol
    And I do not recommend the Pirate Rooms from experience while even staying with a 12yo son.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA, Dec 10-15 '19 OKW 1BR because 942sf! lol