Thread: Parking Lots

Parking Lots

How much earlier than park open do the park parking lots open? We are foolish enough to wade into the GE crowd later this year (during the holidays no less!) So I'm thinking we may have to camp out overnight in the parking lot to have a shot at getting in We will be staying at WL, but we will have a car. So I'm thinking of driving to HS on the day(s) we plan to try GE to be able to get there super early. But what time do the parking lots open? If we get there before they open, would we be stuck in a line at the toll booths? (And then be a mad dash to park once they open?) TIA! We always have our car, but we always use Disney transportation, and the only things we've driven to are dinner reservations at the Boardwalk area or Cape May bkfst, and Surf lessons PPO at Typhoon Lagoon, so we don't have experience with driving to the parks themselves.
    Andrea
    Seriously addicted to Disney
    Cast: Me DH DS (20) DD (13)

Past Trips:
    WDW (me as a kid) Dec 1972 🎢 WDW (ASMo) May 2003 🎢 WDW (ASMo) April 2007 🎢 WDW/NSSHP (CBR) Sept 2009 🎢 Cruise (Dream)/WDW (Poly)/NSSHP Oct 2011 🎢 WDW (CBR) Christmas 2011 🎢 DLR (Disneyland Hotel) Christmas 2012 🎢 WDW (POR) Thanksgiving/ MVMCP 2015 🎢 WDW (POR) July 2017 🎢 Heading Back (WL) December 2019!!!

Since you’re staying over the holidays, you’ll have time to see how GE shakes out. I’m sure there will be people with experience parking at HS for GE by the time you go.
    Brandi

he's right
    Based on my experience with Slinky and FoP earlier this year, I think I would try to see GE at park close, not at park open. I suspect it will be easier.

This is weird, because it suggests that there are now more "planners" than "not-planners" which was never true in "the old days." But, I think Disney's marketing about pre-booking FP+ has changed that.

I have driven to the MK lot so early that it was unattended but you could still drive in. The toll booth slots were not blocked and we and a handful of other guests were able to drive right in and choose where to park, which we all did as close as possible to the TTC.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting posts about GE when it opens to help plan! Of course, I have to make ADRs before then, and trying to figure out what days to go super duper early, and what days we can sleep in

I agree that it seems like more people are planners, so touring strategies have changed - you have to stay ahead of (everyone else's) learning curve!

I was just curious how early they open (and do EMH affect the time the parking lots open?) Thanks!!
    Last edited by tylerandalexsmom; 04-19-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Andrea

Past Trips:
    WDW (me as a kid) Dec 1972 🎢 WDW (ASMo) May 2003 🎢 WDW (ASMo) April 2007 🎢 WDW/NSSHP (CBR) Sept 2009 🎢 Cruise (Dream)/WDW (Poly)/NSSHP Oct 2011 🎢 WDW (CBR) Christmas 2011 🎢 DLR (Disneyland Hotel) Christmas 2012 🎢 WDW (POR) Thanksgiving/ MVMCP 2015 🎢 WDW (POR) July 2017 🎢 Heading Back (WL) December 2019!!!

I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

Lol
    Brandi

Strangeite, you always crack me up! This is very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerandalexsmom View Post
    Yes, I'm eagerly awaiting posts about GE when it opens to help plan! Of course, I have to make ADRs before then, and trying to figure out what days to go super duper early, and what days we can sleep in

I agree that it seems like more people are planners, so touring strategies have changed - you have to stay ahead of (everyone else's) learning curve!

I was just curious how early they open (and do EMH affect the time the parking lots open?) Thanks!!
    It was sooo much easier when not many people planned ahead. Things keep changing, too.

I have entered the parking lot at AK before an attendant was present. I have also entered HS from the little entrance off World Drive before an attendant was present. Both times, I just drove in like normal and parked. The first time I was worried all day because I hadn't paid to park. The next time I was just happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post
    Andrea

Past Trips:

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
    It was sooo much easier when not many people planned ahead. Things keep changing, too.

I have entered the parking lot at AK before an attendant was present. I have also entered HS from the little entrance off World Drive before an attendant was present. Both times, I just drove in like normal and parked. The first time I was worried all day because I hadn't paid to park. The next time I was just happy.
    Good to know! I was just afraid there would be a gate or something and we'd have to wait in our cars in a line! We stay on-site, so at least I dont have to worry about paying!
    Andrea

Past Trips: