Thread: Summer is our only option - late June vs first few weeks of August

Summer is our only option - late June vs first few weeks of August

We are looking into 2020 trip

My son will be in secondary school and our only option really is between Mid June to early August. Last two weeks of June flights cost over 1000 euro cheaper mainly as most schools finish end of June. Is there big difference between last two weeks of June and first two weeks of August?

June suits us better in terms of time of the year to take our big vacation. We have no option to go October anymore unfortunately. We were there last June, great holiday but it was so busy.

We’ve gone in late June (third week), I think in 2016. It was obviously hot, but we live in the South and find August weather to be much worse. I was also pleasantly surprised that the crowds weren’t too bad at that time.
    Brandi

Both late June and early August will be busy, it is summer break. I agree with nolarookie that the weather in June is likely to be somewhat better than August and I'd probably go with June. Especially considering the flight cost savings for you in June.

that's a shame
    Weather looks like a toss up:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usfl1021

We've done the first week in August twice. It's pretty crowded/busy.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Everything else being equal, I'd lean toward mid June vs. early August because you'll be about two months ahead of hurricane season.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Weather looks like a toss up:
    I think August is more humid. I might be wrong, but in my opinion. And that it FEELS hotter, even though it might not be. But were not used to that kind of humidity in general. I also agree that staying away from hurricane season gives me some piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    I think August is more humid. I might be wrong, but in my opinion. And that it FEELS hotter, even though it might not be. But were not used to that kind of humidity in general. I also agree that staying away from hurricane season gives me some piece of mind.
    Yeah the humidity in August and September is really oppressive. June is technically when hurricane season starts, but they are more common in late summer.
    Brandi

Thanks - so end of June 2020 it is!

Currently we are booked to arrive 11th of June for 17 nights. I am tempted to change it to early in hope to experience flower and garden too. What would you do?

I have heard a lot of complains about non stop rain early June. When we were there last year, end of June - I was very happy with the weather. It rained daily, but we enjoyed little cooler afternoons

Is there big difference in weather early and late june (little bit crazy question, I completely understand!) Are operating hours usually longer end of June? Any pluses and minuses for early vs late?

I would go with earlier in June over later in June. Weather potentially a little less humid/hot and the earlier in June you go the less likely kids in the US are out of school yet. Pretty much everyone is out by mid June, some of our school districts were not out here until 6/10 due to snow days over winter they had make up days at the end. I was watching hours all month as we were there late June, early July this year. I didn't see any better hours late June vs early June.

If you ask me should I come to Ireland early June or late June and the weather is deciding factor, there is no way I can make any recommendations. It's unpredictable, and the weather in Ireland isn't that unpredictable as Orlando.

I realise how impossible is to answer the question about the weather in June (if it's more likely to have full days of rain) early or late June next year in Orlando. Yet, I would like and answer to help me decide. I have been totally unreasonable!

I thought people have already said this: early June, ON AVERAGE, is better than late June. Still hot and humid, but POSSIBLY a little less humid in early June and a little less chance of rain every day.

"Non stop rain early June" is rare. Not sure where you heard that, but I'm sure it was someone's isolated experience. Can it happen? Yes. Are the odds in favor of it not happening? Yes.

If you can push your trip a couple weeks earlier, that's what I would do. Could you still be unlucky? Yes. But that bad luck could happen in March as well. You could go in January and have sun and low-80s every day. You can only plan based on what the historical patterns show. You said you were happy with the weather in late June in another trip. I would say you were lucky then.

Not sure what else can be said about it.

We had a lot of rain last summer in Orlando the first week of July... while here at home (similar weather to a Orlando, we’ve had almost none. I mean it’s really hard to say. I will say we’ve had great rainy park days. If you’re willing to embrace the rain and press on, the crowds really die down. It’s only a real bummer for the water parks.
    Brandi

I'd avoid hurricane season!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

we were there same time nolarookie. last week of June firs of July 2018 We thought the weather is amazing. We enjoyed it better than October. We like bit of a heat, and the weather after the storms is great to walk around parks. With over 2 weeks at WDW we don't need long days so it worked well. The water park days - we just went in the morning and left by lunch.

Pool time is important for us so we did few hours swim in the morning. Lunch or shop indoors around storm time, hit the parks after. It worked well. The only negative impact was test track was always down and rarely back up after the storm when we were at Epcot.

I like the long days and how lovely is to walk around after the rain.

Thanks for your help, I will try to move it to earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    I'd avoid hurricane season!
    Unfortunately, hurricane season is from June 1 to December 1, so that’s a big chunk of the calendar to avoid. They are much more common in August and September, but you never know when when can pop up on you— like this weekend in South Louisiana, for example.

Hurricanes really, really suck, but pretty much the one thing you 100% cannot plan around is the weather.
    Brandi

Our son is going to secondary school next year and while I took him off school for few days twice during last 8 years, to suit our October Orlando vacation - I am not going to be doing that in secondary. December school break - he doesn't want to travel as he wants to be near his grannies, aunts and and friends for Christmas. October and Spring breaks are shorter than the duration we like to go for. That lives us earliest possible arrival date 30th May and latest possible arrival date about 1st of August.

We have been 3 weeks in August, end of Jun/July and have no complains for either to be honest. In fact we like it better than October due to longer days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nia View Post
    We have been 3 weeks in August, end of Jun/July and have no complains for either to be honest.
    Glad to hear that. I've been in August several times, but admittedly it has been a VERY long time (decades) since I was last there in August. I used to think the heat was no big deal. Yes, of course it was hot, but you just duck into a ride whenever you get hot. Or a store in Main Street. Whatever. Then I started reading this board and people are like "Don't go in August or you'll DIE!", and I'll admit I started to question my own memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    Glad to hear that. I've been in August several times, but admittedly it has been a VERY long time (decades) since I was last there in August. I used to think the heat was no big deal. Yes, of course it was hot, but you just duck into a ride whenever you get hot. Or a store in Main Street. Whatever. Then I started reading this board and people are like "Don't go in August or you'll DIE!", and I'll admit I started to question my own memories.
    LOL! We've been twice in August (3 times if you count Universal), and we're going to SW/BG/DC this August. We didn't die, and I don't expect to this year either.