Thread: REALLY dumb question (sorry) about flying with OTC medication

REALLY dumb question (sorry) about flying with OTC medication

I have searched the TSA page, and everything I see there refers to prescription medicine. My son is leaving this week on his senior trip, and we haven't flown since 2007. Can he bring ibuprofen in his checked bag? Like I said, everything I found was on rx meds, which he doesn't take, and it recommended to have it in your carry on for obvious reasons.

Thanks!
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    yes - almost anything can go in checked luggage, but he could also pack it in his carry on if he'd prefer
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Thank you!

2018 Windsor Palms

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Make sure it is in the original bottle.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magic1106 View Post
    Make sure it is in the original bottle.
    TBH I don't do this (I have a generic bottle with a mix of OTC medication in my toiletry kit) and I've never had a problem. I figure if TSA is going to scrutinize my luggage to the point they're questioning pills that *look* like ibuprofen but *might not be* ibuprofen, and they decide to confiscate it, I can buy more at the hotel gift shop. But realistically, they typically don't check that closely to ensure the pills inside a bottle match the brand/type of OTC medication on the outside of the bottle.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

You can have him bring it in the carry-on as well. I take it all the time and have never been questioned. The kids verison, which is in liquid form, I put in the checked bag just to not deal with the liquid rule. Only time I have been questioned about any medication is for when I bring a narcotic, like vicodin which I carry for kidney stones, and that was only once, all they did was verify it was really me on the prescription bottle. I think it was just an over zealous guy running it though, it only ever happened the once.
    Cindy

Thanks all! It was in a small container that I usually keep in my purse. I gave him an empty ibuprofen bottle to put it in, but since that bottle is still on his desk, he didn't take it. He made it just fine with it in his suitcase.

They flew from a, tiny, 3-gate airport in WV, and there was a man arrested there early this morning for having a loaded gun in his carry-on. DS didn't mention seeing the guy arrested, but it had to be around the same time or right after his flight according to the news article.
    Last edited by Momofpirates; 04-08-2019 at 06:56 PM.

2018 Windsor Palms