Thread: Nostalgia for the WDW that never was

Nostalgia for the WDW that never was

Not just on this site, but all over Disney fandom, I am seeing lots of nostalgia for the Disney World that was. Today I was thinking about Walt's "Florida Project" film and how different things would have turned out if he had lived another 10 years. In this alternative universe, I could see how it could have destroyed the entire company, or maybe it would have changed urban planning all over the world.

Anyway, Walt filmed this just two months before he died.

I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post
    Today I was thinking about Walt's "Florida Project" film and how different things would have turned out if he had lived another 10 years.
    As it happens, there is good evidence that Walt knew before filming the Florida Project piece that there would never be full-time residents in WDW. After all, such residents would be able to vote, which would have been problematic for Disney's wholly-owned public government. There is a passage that describes that evidence in either Neal Gabler's Disney biography or Richard Fogelsong's "Married to the Mouse." (I'm too lazy to see which one has it.)

That's not to say that a lot of the urban planning innovations were for naught. The "EPCOT Building Codes" developed for RCID allowed for some really interesting work, and some of that has transitioned to the outside world.