Thread: Double check my thinking

Double check my thinking

In October of 2020, we are going on a trip that will necessitate the need to use banked and borrowed points. As of right now, there are 8 confirmed guests with a strong potential for a 9th. Our first preference is a 2 BR and a Studio at OKW (the Studio is only needed for 5 nights). However, since we can't book at OKW until 7 months, I need to book at SSR at 11 months.

Soooo, my thinking is that we book a Treehouse at SSR at the 11-month mark and then call exactly at 7 months to switch to OKW. The OKW stay would use slightly fewer points, so I understand that I need to make it clear to member services that they need to use the banked and borrowed points first so that any remaining points are in the current use year.

I would just book a 2BR at SSR but if I do that, the Ancient Ones would punish my cavalier behavior and make sure that there is no availability at OKW AND the 9th guest decides to come.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitter

A few random thoughts for you...

- I agree with booking something at 11 months, just to be safe (especially in the fall). I am currently sitting on a SSR reservation for next January for the same reason.

- If you booked the 2BR at SSR, and ended up being stuck with it... the room technically can hold 9 people. The 9th would need to just provide their own bedding. So, not ideal for sure, but air mattress/couch cushions would work if you got stuck.

- There is a refurb coming soon at SSR. You could always hope they change the studios there to add the single murphy-bed under the TV, bringing the 2BR Lock Off capacity up to truly 9. I have no information if this is happening or not, but they did with the BWV and BCV refurbs a few years ago... so you never know.

- By waiting to call Member Services at 7 months... you are losing an hour of time compared to doing it yourself online. In some cases this hour is very important to getting the room(s) you are looking for. But, I do understand it is difficult since you are trying to book 2 rooms not just 1, so the normal "modify" process online can't get you both rooms. I would watch the availability for a few days before that morning to try to guess if there will be an issue, and which room type will be the harder one to get.

- If you do it online I have been assured that the system will automatically use banked and borrowed points first, since I have done something similar. Out of paranoia I still check my balances online and sometimes even just call to confirm everything looks good. If for some reason it doesn't work right you can ask Member Services to re-allocate the points used on the reservation. I have done this, and even changed points used from one contract to another (different home resorts) after the 7 month mark.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post

- If you booked the 2BR at SSR, and ended up being stuck with it... the room technically can hold 9 people. The 9th would need to just provide their own bedding. So, not ideal for sure, but air mattress/couch cushions would work if you got stuck.
    So even though the SSR sleeps 8, I can have 9 people on the reservation?

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post
    So even though the SSR sleeps 8, I can have 9 people on the reservation?
    Yes.

Check out this chart, which shows the difference between how many people each room officially sleeps, and how many it books for.

https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...iled-room-info
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

From the Member Site:

"9th guest can be accommodated, but please note that no additional bedding, linens or towels will be provided."

This is true of a few others 1BRs (and therefore lock offs). BCV, BWV, BRV
    Micah

MousePerks

Thanks! That is a much better option for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post
    Thanks! That is a much better option for us.
    It's not perfect if you truly got stuck there (unlikely), but it makes the switchover at 7 months cleaner by using the Modify feature online, and then you know you have the OKW 2BR locked in before you drop the SSR 2BR, then hopefully the Studio is still there.

I wouldn't be afraid of the Treehouse either, but I understand more borrowing would be needed.
    Micah

MousePerks

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    It's not perfect if you truly got stuck there (unlikely), but it makes the switchover at 7 months cleaner by using the Modify feature online, and then you know you have the OKW 2BR locked in before you drop the SSR 2BR, then hopefully the Studio is still there.

I wouldn't be afraid of the Treehouse either, but I understand more borrowing would be needed.
    We stayed in a Treehouse for a week either last year or the year before. In many ways, it is the perfect amount of space for us, but if you are relying on Disney transportation, it leaves a lot to be desired.