Thread: Disney bans smoking in all theme parks effective May 1

Disney bans smoking in all theme parks effective May 1

I saw this on our local news and then found it on the Orlando Sentinel page, so it looks like it is true. Smoking will be banned in all the Disney theme parks effective May 1. There will be smoking areas outside the parks. Also, stroller restrictions will prohibit strollers wider than 31 inches and wagon strollers.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...328-story.html
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

I noticed A TON of the wagon strollers at DL when I was there last week. I'm curious how they'll enforce this!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    The ban on ice makes little sense to me, but I am 1000% in support of the wagon and smoking bans. There are a few park areas that are currently smoking areas, especially in World Showcase during Seasonal Festival of Food Booths, that I'm glad will be open to all (except smokers, obviously).
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    The ban on ice makes little sense to me, but I am 1000% in support of the wagon and smoking bans. There are a few park areas that are currently smoking areas, especially in World Showcase during Seasonal Festival of Food Booths, that I'm glad will be open to all (except smokers, obviously).
    I'm guessing the security CMs don't want to get their hands cold or wet when going through coolers / maybe its easier to hide things under ice. They are serious when it comes to checking every nook and cranny.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Oh man, my stroller is 32 . It is a double jogger.

Im not buying another, so do I just deal with only bringing my single and making one kid walk? Or any chance I could squeeze the double an inch?

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    I'm guessing the security CMs don't want to get their hands cold or wet when going through coolers / maybe its easier to hide things under ice. They are serious when it comes to checking every nook and cranny.
    Maybe ban large coolers instead? Where are people supposed to freeze enough ice packs to fill a large cooler? How many free small cups of ice from a counter service restaurant are needed to fill a large cooler? Seems like large coolers are the culprit, not bags of ice cubes.

Does loose ice mean no sandwich baggies with loose ice in them? We carry a cooler backpack and always have 3 baggies of ice to keep things cold.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    The ban on ice makes little sense to me,
    I wouldn't be surprised in our "it's all about me" world,if people dumped ice out of coolers, creating a mess and potential slip/fall hazard.

I'm 100% for the smoking ban, but my concern is that with no DSA's, you'l see more people ignoring the rule and walking around with cigarettes.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

As for the strollers I think if it is close they are going to let it in...I think they are trying to ban those royal carriages and all the wagons that have started popping up all around the parks. According to a Disney site the Keenz wagon stroller is still being permitted as it is a push and not a pull wagon. Apparently the stroller dimensions are the same as in the past but it has just not been enforced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m glad it includes vaping. I saw a few people vaping outside of designated smoking areas on our last trip, and wasn’t excited about it.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    I’m glad it includes vaping. I saw a few people vaping outside of designated smoking areas on our last trip, and wasn’t excited about it.

Am thrilled about this. Seriously. Especially the smoking - as someone whose asthma is triggered by smoke, having it a non-issue in the parks will be fantastic.

And seriously...ice...wagons...smoking...all of it falls under the umbrella of "if people just tried to be considerate of others, these rules wouldn't be necessary".

The ice one baffled me, too, but it probably is for the benefit of the security people. I always take the ice packs, but we rent houses with real refrigerators. I can see how that might be difficult if you're staying in a room with mini fridges. In my experience, those have about a 50/50 chance of either freezing everything you put in them or being barely cool at all and not freezing anything, even in the top section.

I'm not surprised they don't want those Cinderella carriage strollers in the parks. I'm all for taking a stroller if you have a young child who needs a stroller, but it should be a reasonable size that won't cause too much traffic and is easy to see around and push so that you can do it without running over anyone. It's stood out to me that every new land or reconstruction project in the last 5 years or so has included vastly more stroller parking. People are taking bigger strollers, and they're using strollers for older children than they ever did before. Disney can't reasonably enforce a policy making fewer people use strollers, but they can at least make sure they're just strollers and not the size of a Smart car.

I really think they will be pretty reasonable about the strollers and ice. They really dont have a way to measure if your stroller is slightly larger than the rules without really screwing up security. I agree thats probably also the reason for the ice, trying to streamline the process of security when checking coolers. Overall I think these rules are for the best, and that your average park guest will not experience anything different in their visit. Now the people with there huge wagon stroller with a big cooler in half of it full of ice are going to complain. But considering how insanely busy they are expecting GE to make HS/Disneyland in the near future, I really think they are just trying to streamline as much as possible to make the crowds/security/stroller parking more manageable.

I'm actually a little surprised that Disney hasn't jumped on the themed stroller bandwagon and started renting their own princess carriages, pirate ships, mini x wing fighters...

Helping the space and congestion issue by limiting stroller size really does make sense though!

Quote Originally Posted by cinderellagirl View Post
    I'm actually a little surprised that Disney hasn't jumped on the themed stroller bandwagon and started renting their own princess carriages, pirate ships, mini x wing fighters...
    I think that Disney doesn't want more people using strollers. There are plenty of kids who'd be embarrassed to ride in a regular stroller but would gladly jump in a pirate ship.

It was shortly before our first trip with kids that they really raised the stroller rental prices. The strollers used to be cheap enough that the decision to rent vs. bring your own was a real question that only involved a negligible expense, even on a long trip. I think that one of the main reasons they made strollers so expensive was to make you think twice before you rent.

Can someone post a picture of these big strollers y'all are talking about? I don't think I've ever seen one, and a Google search didn't work for me. Thanks.

just checkout this website... https://www.fantasystrollers.com/

cool... but SO unnecessary.

edit: apparently they are making modified units to meet the size requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    Can someone post a picture of these big strollers y'all are talking about? I don't think I've ever seen one, and a Google search didn't work for me. Thanks.
    Try a google image search for "stroller wagon."

Every time someone in my life starts a discussion about making Disney World a part of one of our vacations, I can count on coming here and finding a reason to shoot the idea down. This time it was a friend wanting to resurrect our idea of an Epcot 'Drinking Around the World' day during a Universal Orlando trip planned for after the new Wizarding World ride opens. As soon as I saw the thread, I called and let her know about the new smoking policy, directed her to the article in the Orlando Sentinel and that was the end of that idea!

Personally, I find the ban disgusting. The smoking areas were tucked away where no one with asthma, allergies, ect need be bothered so there was no reason for this other than the rabid anti-smokingism going on these days. I don't smoke on child-centric vacations but I do enjoy it on adult trips and refuse to spend my dollars anywhere that does not make a reasonable effort to accommodate an activity that 15% of the population enjoy.

I do wonder what people are going to find to hate next and what freedoms people are going to lose over it.
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls
    Oct 2018 Disney Fantasy (HotHS) Coming soon: June 2020 IoA & USF/Disney Dream

If you refuse to go to Walt Disney world then why are you wasting time here?

Quote Originally Posted by All about me View Post
    Personally, I find the ban disgusting.
    That's an ironic way to describe a smoking ban. Which will make the parks less disgusting.

You can no longer smoke in restaurants, movie theatres, bars, or other music venues. That was kind of a big deal when it passed in New Orleans—controversial. It ultimately passed largely because smoking created a hazardous workplace for bartenders, wait staff, etc. While I typically agree with personal rights of adults, for me public health is going to win over the rights of people with a dangerous addiction.
    Brandi

I saw the smoking ban coming. Over the years the smoking sections have gotten fewer and fewer and in more remote locations. A lot of people are going to be upset about it, and a lot of people are going to be happy about it as with most smoking bans. As an ex-smoker I see both sides and do feel not making some kind of accommodations for smokers inside the parks is a mistake on Disney's part. I do understand the health concerns of non smokers not being near the smoking, but with smoking sections in out of the way sections, the non smokers can easily avoid it and not be bothered (problem is sometimes not all the smoking sections were out of the way enough), and smokers in general understand they need to go out of their way to smoke. But to not have any places for the smokers to smoke, there will be several who sneak smoking in where they shouldn't, get angry at the policy and decide not to go, etc. It's different than banning smoking in a restaurant, which is an enclosed space where you can't escape the smoke, the parks are outdoors in the open air, and usually your in a restaurant for a couple hours at most, as opposed to being in the parks all day. And we aren't talking about a few people, if you see those smoking areas most of the time they are packed with people, it seems like Disney will be angering a lot of people when, if the smoking spots were enough out of the way to not effect the non smokers, they wouldn't need to. But I'm glad I quit smoking before the ban went into place so I don't have to worry about it on our future trips.

The strollers I can understand as well, those super wide strollers crowd up walk ways.

Considering you can get ice at any of the quick service places, the only reason I can think of for not letting you bring your own is security. Not sure why it would be bad for security but it must be.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    I saw the smoking ban coming. Over the years the smoking sections have gotten fewer and fewer and in more remote locations. A lot of people are going to be upset about it, and a lot of people are going to be happy about it as with most smoking bans. As an ex-smoker I see both sides and do feel not making some kind of accommodations for smokers inside the parks is a mistake on Disney's part. I do understand the health concerns of non smokers not being near the smoking, but with smoking sections in out of the way sections, the non smokers can easily avoid it and not be bothered (problem is sometimes not all the smoking sections were out of the way enough), and smokers in general understand they need to go out of their way to smoke. But to not have any places for the smokers to smoke, there will be several who sneak smoking in where they shouldn't, get angry at the policy and decide not to go, etc. It's different than banning smoking in a restaurant, which is an enclosed space where you can't escape the smoke, the parks are outdoors in the open air, and usually your in a restaurant for a couple hours at most, as opposed to being in the parks all day. And we aren't talking about a few people, if you see those smoking areas most of the time they are packed with people, it seems like Disney will be angering a lot of people when, if the smoking spots were enough out of the way to not effect the non smokers, they wouldn't need to. But I'm glad I quit smoking before the ban went into place so I don't have to worry about it on our future trips.

The strollers I can understand as well, those super wide strollers crowd up walk ways.

Considering you can get ice at any of the quick service places, the only reason I can think of for not letting you bring your own is security. Not sure why it would be bad for security but it must be.
    The ice being "bad" is I think that it makes it harder for security to search coolers, moving blocks of wrapped ice is different than having to dig through loose ice to see whats in the cooler.

As far as smoking, not all parks had out of the way spots to smoke. Disneyland in particular the last smoking section that remained would in a few weeks be right in front of the entrance area to GE. I can understand people's frustrations at not being accommodated, but I'd assume there will be places to smoke just outside the parks. Is this more of a pain for smokers because they will have to re-enter the park after smoking, yes. I guess if you smoke you now need to decide if that's worth no longer going for you or not.