Thread: Dropping off at GF instead of CR

Dropping off at GF instead of CR

Hi. Everyone knows the benefits of having a taxi or whatever drop you off at the Contemporary... simply walk to the MK.

But has anyone ever been dropped off at the Grand Floridian? There's no walking path, but you have both the monorail and the boat. Does the boat run early enough for an aggressive rope drop strategy?

Thanks.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I don't see how there would be any advantage to getting dropped off at GF -- all I can see is disadvantages compared to walking from the Contemporary. I mean, if you're waiting on a monorail or boat at GF, how are you really any better off than taking Disney Transportation to TTC?
    Last edited by DopeyRunr; 03-28-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

If you get dropped of at CR, you don't have to wait for transportation. You have your legs to get the rest of the way!!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Let me rephrase: what if you simply want to start your day with a monorail or boat ride? Do they operate in time to make it, say, an hour before RD?

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    Let me rephrase: what if you simply want to start your day with a monorail or boat ride? Do they operate in time to make it, say, an hour before RD?
    They do.

At GF, MK is only one stop away. The boat will go to Poly before MK; its route is MK-GF-Poly-MK, in that order.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    As someone who regularly parks at TTC, I can assure you starting your day with a monorail or boat ride is not that great.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    As someone who regularly parks at TTC, I can assure you starting your day with a monorail or boat ride is not that great.
    This made me LOL.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

he's right
    If I wanted to ride the monorail/boat, I would just go to the TTC. The road connecting CR and GF can be backed up, and it takes a while to get there. It's better now that the flyover is in place, but still not great. I suspect it doesn't save you much if any time, especially if you are getting to the park before rope drop and therefore won't encounter much in the way of a backup at the TTC monorail/ferry station.

Having done all the options listed my preference would be:
    1. walk from CR
    2. monorail from GF
    3. monorail from TTC

I can see the temptation to go with the monorail from GF if someone in your party is not able to walk. It is just an overall nicer experience in the morning. No crowds. Easy, relaxed bag check. Less than 5 minute ride to MK once on the monorail. BUT if there are any traffic issues getting to GF (and for overall time it's going to take longer to get there than CR or TTC as mentioned above even with no traffic issues) or if there are any monorail issues then the morning will be derailed. I have stayed at the GF trying to RD when the monorail is down. It takes forever to get a bus routed since there normally aren't any. Then there is often a big line for the bus and you end up waiting for the next one. The boats often aren't running early enough to get to MK for RD.