Thread: BCV vs BLT Thanksgiving week

BCV vs BLT Thanksgiving week

We have BCV reserved for Thanksgiving week. But were hoping to move to BLT at 7 months. There is availability right now for just 5 of our 8 nights and we are still a little less than 4 weeks out from 7 months.

In the past we would just do a split stay. But now with star wars being open and split stays having 2 different FP booking windows I'm not sure that is a great plan. We could certainly try to wait list nights not available hoping others will try to move at 7 months.

But is walking to HS from BCV going to be important enough that even if we get all 8 nights at BLT we should keep BCV? The main draws for BLT are the sleeper chair, walking to MK, more space, views of fireworks, and we will be at Beach Club for spring break.

I should add no one is a big star wars fan. But then all the announcements came out about the land and rides and the kids are really excited. So we will probably try to see it and get FP (if it's even being offered by then). But we certainly aren't up for heroics or multi-hour lines.

I would personally just stay at BCV the whole time for Star Wars land access. HS has officially passed MK as our family’s favorite park (although our kids are 11 and 13 now), and if we were going at Thanksgiving, access to Star Wars land would be our top priority.
    Brandi

I would probably just stick to BCV personally, especially since BLT will cost you more points. But I do understand completely if you are there at Spring Break and want the variety to something different. Is there another resort that would get you the variety but has all dates available?

For the topic of FP with split stay... I have heard different things here and not sure what to trust. Some have been told that with DVC split stays you are supposed to be able to book the entire trip all at the same time (unlike cash stays), and if it doesn't work online they can call Member Services and they will help you book the 2nd half of the split before the website lets you. I don't know if this is bad information... or if DVC really is supposed to be different with the new rules.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 DRR/AKV

Unfortunately the only resorts with full availability are Saratoga and Old Key West. We really like the convenience of walking to a park so that trumps variety for us. And the kids do love the pool at BCV.

I almost forgot, the other pro for BLT is the 2nd bathroom in the 1 bedroom.

I think I'm risk averse enough we will not gamble on a split stay being able to book FP all at once. Although if GE rides don't end up with FP by Thanksgiving that part won't matter so much. A 5 night stay should be sufficient to get FoP FP. But we likely won't know 7 months in advance. Grrrr.

As for walking to HS, I don't see us trying to brave RD for GE rides. If there aren't FP for GE or we can't get FP for GE (or a paid event) we likely will skip it. So that part of the BCV pro is maybe not as essential?

I thought someone mentioned you can get a cot, is that correct? The big incentive with BLT is the sleeper chair. The kids don't do well sleeping in the same bed so having separate sleep space for them is a major plus. Otherwise I'm probably going to end up sharing a pull out couch with the youngest for 8 nights and that sounds painful. But if we can get a cot at BCV then that point in BLTs favor is less important.

Will Riviera resort be booking for non-owners with points for stays Thanksgiving week? That is another option. I see the 1 bedroom has 3 beds. I do worry that the gondola transportation will not be as convenient.

This is the information I received from Disney

"Projected to open in fall 2019 .The official Resort opening date will be announced at a later time. Check availability now for stays December 16 to December 31, 2019. To book a stay in 2020, please call (407) 939-7762 or your travel agent. If you’re a Disney Vacation Club Member, you can make cash reservations by calling Member Services at (800) 800-9800."

So not very specific official information. Any unofficial predictions?

Officially, Riviera opens 12/16 for points too, not just cash. So, for non-owners they can book at the normal 7 month window, starting 5/16.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 DRR/AKV