Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please help. Galaxy Edge opening...should we cancel

he's right
    If I were a Disney muckety-muck, 'Ohana would be near the bottom of my list of places to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    If I were a Disney muckety-muck, 'Ohana would be near the bottom of my list of places to eat.
    If it were just the suits, I'd agree 100%. But they likely bring their families and occupy the suites of GF, Poly, Contemp, and maybe WL. A few to AKL and YC. But with the families and different celebratory events...they did it with opening of Pandora but was a little more stealth. And SWGE is MUCH bigger. It's just a conspiracy theory of mine, but I went the same exact week, last year. Had NO problems with any ADR. I had options for BOG lunch as well. And even able to tinker with plans a few days later without an issue getting the time we wanted. This year, many of the places we wanted were either totally booked or available after 9PM. Coincidence? maybe....
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC

Yeah, ‘Ohana’s pretty hard to book anyway. While there may be something to your conspiracy theory, but I’m thinking the corporate folks are likely doing stuff that isn’t open to the public. There’s no shortage of conference space.
    Brandi

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Yeah, that's a little hard for me to believe. Even if TWDC brought 100 executives, and they each brought 5 additional family members, that's 600 people.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

I joke about it being a conspiracy but I do have an example. My cousin stayed at AKL the week before Pandora opened. 3 days before opening, they had an ADR, I believe for Sanaa. She said a section was blocked off for a semi private meal. Not an "event" - just carved out in the corner with tables marked as private. She asked a cast member and was told it was the families of the "executive team" for the international marketing division for Pandora. She said it was probably 50-60 people.
    Last year, same exact week, I had my share of options for Ohana. This year, it's booked top to bottom every night. Could be related...alls I'm sayin' :-)
    Aug 2019 YC

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    I drove under this street light late last night and when I was passing under it went out and I'm not saying it's a conspiracy but I'm pretty sure there's a connection.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J's Dad View Post
    I joke about it being a conspiracy Sanaa ... Ohana.
    The difference between these two is that Sanaa is good.

Last year, same exact week, I had my share of options for Ohana. This year, it's booked top to bottom every night. Could be related...alls I'm sayin' :-)
    I'd have to search back to check for sure but I believe they expanded the free dining this year to include more summer dates.
    There are not going to be an entire restaurant full of Disney executives at Ohana on any night. Period.

Well there’s likely limited availability for the same reason the OP posted this thread. There are people who want to see Galaxy’s Edge when it opens, so it’s going to be more crowded than he anticipated. Those people are now scooping up ADRs
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    I'd have to search back to check for sure but I believe they expanded the free dining this year to include more summer dates.
    There are not going to be an entire restaurant full of Disney executives at Ohana on any night. Period.
    OK, to make this clear - I did not mean to imply they were closing down restaurants entirely. However, the decision of the opening date was made well before it was announced. If you don't think so, I've got a bridge to sell you. And anyone within the organization asked to be a part of the opening would have been cleared and booked beforehand as well. Would it be inconceivable for the resort to make concessions for said employees? My theory is yes, it's plausible, and to the disadvantage of regular guests; minor as they might be.

@Angi - to your 1st point - there was no free dining for that week last year but there was the same room-only discount. Being that Be Our Guest (arguably the hardest lunch ADR's to get) had a bunch of openings that week, - when I attempted to book it last year, I think it's fair to say that week is very typically, low-crowded on the whole. So I was surprised this year at my 180 day mark that all of these were FULLY booked. (as this was before the announcement)

OK I'm done
    Aug 2019 YC

The difference between these two is that Sanaa is good.
    While I do like Ohana, I totally agree that Sanaa is great! It's actually my favorite. The kids weren't thrilled, tho. Still more to explore as well....
    Aug 2019 YC

@Angi - to your 1st point - there was no free dining for that week last year but there was the same room-only discount. Being that Be Our Guest (arguably the hardest lunch ADR's to get) had a bunch of openings that week, - when I attempted to book it last year, I think it's fair to say that week is very typically, low-crowded on the whole. So I was surprised this year at my 180 day mark that all of these were FULLY booked. (as this was before the announcement)

OK I'm done
    It is really amazing what free dining does to ADR availability. I have been repeatedly surprised multiple years by difficulty getting ADRS at 180 + 4 because it's during a free dining week. For example fall during free dining ADRs were much harder to get than the ADRs for our spring break week was the #4 busiest week (per Josh's analysis) of the year in terms of crowds and wait times.

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    All of us seem to be assuming a certain amount of planning on the part of the general public/Star Wars fans that I don't think is there. I have had several friends and family members say to me recently: "I saw that Star Wars Land is opening at Disney. I was thinking about driving/flying down with the kids for a weekend in September to check it out." Mind you, not one of them plans to buy tickets in advance or do any research/planning. They are not Disney people. They are Star Wars fans who just heard something they are interested in is opening and want to go. These are people who camp out for opening night of Star Wars movies. They don't know that only one ride will be open. They don't know that they may not even get into the Studios, much less GE, on a September weekend. They assume they can just go to Florida and stroll into Galaxy's Edge. I have explained the probable reality of the situation to each of them with mixed results.

These are the people who complicate this particular opening so much. When Pandora opened, it didn't draw hordes of non-Disney people who have no idea how WDW works let alone the anticipated insanity of GE opening.
    This has been somewhat my reassurance. I have had quite a few people say things to me (knowing we go to Disney all the time) about Galaxys Edge. Some believe its a whole new park. Some think they can just show up as stated. I think the promos themselves are a little misleading. It should say its in Hollywood Studios. Its amazing how many people do not even do the slightest bit of research. My sons taekwondo school has a national tournament being held at the Swan and Dolphin during a weekend in September. I have tried to warn other parents to look now at hotels if going and wanting to make a trip of this. Plus really look at how the crowds will likely be just to get in there. I just don't think if you aren't a Disney fan you don't get it. I seem almost crazy to them just suggesting booking now.

MY plans are to just plan for Hollywood Studios midweek now. Knowing it will be crowded. Also hopeful for decent extra magic hours too to help with crowds somewhat.
    Jessica

DS (7) and DS (5)

JUNE 1989: Fort Wilderness and Disney Inn
    MAR 1996: Offsite
    NOV 2014 and 2015: Pop Century
    JUNE 2016: Gaylord Palms/Beach
    NOV 2016: CBR
    DEC 2017 and 2018: Pop Century

OK, to make this clear - I did not mean to imply they were closing down restaurants entirely. However, the decision of the opening date was made well before it was announced. If you don't think so, I've got a bridge to sell you. And anyone within the organization asked to be a part of the opening would have been cleared and booked beforehand as well. Would it be inconceivable for the resort to make concessions for said employees? My theory is yes, it's plausible, and to the disadvantage of regular guests; minor as they might be.

OK I'm done
    Well it is strange you bring this up as I never thought of the connection. Was just thinking maybe it was for some kind of refurbishment or enhancement (could still be) however, many in a Disney facebook group have been bringing up a date Tusker House is closed the entire day for reservations. Its after the opening though and weird there, but perhaps there is something going on. Maybe they are just holding back on some of these places until event plans are ironed out? Times before and the day after this date are open. I doubt they would close a place an entire day for a meal for some however, maybe until they have it set in stone they aren't releasing other reservations. (And they were trying to book these places more then 180 days out so its not like they were already booked solid that day)
    Jessica

DS (7) and DS (5)

JUNE 1989: Fort Wilderness and Disney Inn
    MAR 1996: Offsite
    NOV 2014 and 2015: Pop Century
    JUNE 2016: Gaylord Palms/Beach
    NOV 2016: CBR
    DEC 2017 and 2018: Pop Century

Keep in mind that the opening in August will only include one of the rides - the other will be later in the year. I wonder how many people are missing that as they rush to book trips with the assumption that everything will be up and running in Aug-Sept-Oct?

Disney has tried hard to get the word out there that only one ride is open when the land opens. Announcements on MDE and such. Granted, who knows how many read it but the info isn't hidden

Disney information on this is still lagging. I just got the latest edition of Disney Files, the DVC members magazine and it says that Galaxy's Edge is opening in the Fall. Same for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, the Skyliner, etc. Most likely they moved some things up after the magazine issue went to bed, but they have so many many separate information spouts I doubt this is the only one with outdated info.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

When I made resort reservations yesterday, it had a blurb about understanding that I might not be able to get into GE, on the ride, etc as part of the signing the terms and conditions before making the reservation.

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    Disney has tried hard to get the word out there that only one ride is open when the land opens. Announcements on MDE and such. Granted, who knows how many read it but the info isn't hidden
    And if you read the description of the ride that will be open it sounds identical to Mission space at Epcot just with a star wars theme. I don't think many die hard star wars fans will care though. The environment of walking around seems like enough to draw attention.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by crewsn View Post
    Well it is strange you bring this up as I never thought of the connection. Was just thinking maybe it was for some kind of refurbishment or enhancement (could still be) however, many in a Disney facebook group have been bringing up a date Tusker House is closed the entire day for reservations. Its after the opening though and weird there, but perhaps there is something going on. Maybe they are just holding back on some of these places until event plans are ironed out? Times before and the day after this date are open. I doubt they would close a place an entire day for a meal for some however, maybe until they have it set in stone they aren't releasing other reservations. (And they were trying to book these places more then 180 days out so its not like they were already booked solid that day)
    Hi Jessica I think you were right. Or perhaps a mix of both of our theories. Yesterday a large block of times opened at Ohana for one of the nights that week. It went from fully booked to completely open between 4:45-6:00. I even tried seeing if I could get a table for 8 just to see, and it was avail. They were definitely blocking something off and freed it up.
    Aug 2019 YC

Hi Jessica I think you were right. Or perhaps a mix of both of our theories. Yesterday a large block of times opened at Ohana for one of the nights that week. It went from fully booked to completely open between 4:45-6:00. I even tried seeing if I could get a table for 8 just to see, and it was avail. They were definitely blocking something off and freed it up.
    Yep. I got those Ohana reservations yesterday that I had been waiting for. I thought I got lucky until I realized that there was a lot availability. Something must have blocked a ton and then they just got released.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

he's right
    Or they just loaded inventory late; this has been observed before at other restaurants, and I saw this at 'Ohana for this past February. You don't know *why* it happened, only that it *did*.

Or they just loaded inventory late; this has been observed before at other restaurants, and I saw this at 'Ohana for this past February. You don't know *why* it happened, only that it *did*.
    This just happened to me as well. At 180 days there was very little availabitlity anywhere for a couple days of our early October trip. Then, about 2 weeks later, everything was suddenly wide open and I could get just about anything at any time. I was able to book everything I wanted (and couldn't originally get) at the times I wanted. I was glad to know they were just sitting on inventory rather than being so booked up.
    Jen

I still cannot get much for my Wednesday night at DHS (which I had to switch from Thursday because of the opening for SWGE). Although we are strictly aiming for Sci-Fi. Hopefully we'll hit the same luck.
    Aug 2019 YC