Thread: WDW University?

WDW University?

Hi Everyone,
    After 3 years in a row of planning my family's WDW vacations, and also having helped about 10 friends and family plan theirs, my wife is trying to convince me to try it out professionally. I know of some agencies that specialize in Disney, but those appear to be more of a full time commitment. I'm looking to do it "on the side". My strengths are my detailed agendas with high efficiency. (I promise I'm not trying to sell myself on this forum!). Anyway, I have to imagine there is some type of certification or "degree" one must earn to do this, but I have no idea where to start. I've Googled but most links take me o an agency. Is it possible to be truly independent? An advise would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC (first night at AS-Movies)
    2020 - taking a break unless we win the Powerball!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Are you talking about working as a travel agent, or just as someone who, for a fee, will give touring advice? There are regulatory hurdles for the first option, but generally none (or very few, depending upon your state and local regulations) for the second.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

I am thinking more of the latter. If there are agencies that would offer a concierge (ie premium) service for truly bespoke planning, I'd consider that too. I do research and due diligence for a living; it's second nature to think of all the details and nuances and account for them in planning...anything! Example - a friend of mine - 2 young kids - was planning their first visit. Right before they booked, they told us (my wife and I) when over for dinner. My wife could tell I was almost boiling with the "mistakes" they were about to make. So she told them how much of a nerd I was and I offered to help. I enlightened them quite a bit and even took it t the next level by essentially planning their entire trip step by step (ie ride by ride). I gave them the order to go, budgeted time etc. When they got back, they were in awe. And they told other friends and so on. I never charged anyone. But they all said I should "do it for a living or second business. I've built a network of about 20 families.

I consider that more of a concierge / enhanced service. Clearly,it's not what will pay the bills, but more of a hobby/passion that I can earn some extra income. What I don't know is if it's possible to get certified, if I did want to market myself.

Thanks
    Last edited by J&J's Dad; 02-28-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC (first night at AS-Movies)
    2020 - taking a break unless we win the Powerball!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    There is no certification for what you're describing. There are several other companies out there doing something similar - I'm sure you'll find them when you do competitive market research. I believe there are a few members of these message boards who provide planning services. That research should give you an idea about how much you might be able to charge for totally custom plans, and how you might differentiate your services in a crowded marketplace.

Good luck!
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.