Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cancelling ADRs

  1. #1
    Senior Member MrFredricksen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,643

    Cancelling ADRs

    We have a dinner reservation for our arrival day. It is too risky? Now that all reservations have to be cancelled a day in advance or we get a $10 charge, is it too risky to have an ADR for that day? Worried that we could have flight issues and miss it. We are 4 people so does that mean it will cost me $40 if for some reason we can't there?
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

  2. #2
    the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    5,599
    Are you travelling during the winter, from an airport where flight cancellations/severe delays are common?
    Are you travelling late in the day, so that even a small delay will likely mean missing your reservation, or will you be landing in the morning?
    Are you renting a car, giving you a lot less transit time from airport to restaurant than relying upon Disney transportation?

    Risk tolerance varies from person to person, but without knowing more about your itinerary it's hard to assess.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MrFredricksen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Are you travelling during the winter, from an airport where flight cancellations/severe delays are common?
    Are you travelling late in the day, so that even a small delay will likely mean missing your reservation, or will you be landing in the morning?
    Are you renting a car, giving you a lot less transit time from airport to restaurant than relying upon Disney transportation?

    Risk tolerance varies from person to person, but without knowing more about your itinerary it's hard to assess.
    End of August so it is hurricane season
    We don't have flights yet but we usually get them for early AM (like 6am) with the intent of being at the hotel before noon.
    Will have a rental car
    Current ADR I am worried about is 5:40pm
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    End of August so it is hurricane season
    We don't have flights yet but we usually get them for early AM (like 6am) with the intent of being at the hotel before noon.
    Will have a rental car
    Current ADR I am worried about is 5:40pm
    Iíd keep it until closer to travel. Iíve made ADRs for arrival days and both kept and rescheduled/cancelled them based on how we felt closer to the trip. Youíll know about major weather events far enough ahead to act accordingly. Two or three days ahead you may have a better feel for whether you want to go for it or not. Travel delays might change your energy/run around plans once you hit the ground, but you can always push the ADR out then cancel if you wait until day of.

  5. #5
    the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    5,599
    I wouldn't worry unless you have a strong feeling the night before that your flight is going to be cancelled or seriously delayed.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mgarbowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,725
    I once booked a 3:30 PM ADR at Tiffens on our arrival day, because AA rescheduled our flight to a 6 am departure after I booked it, which meant getting up between 3 and 4 am and arriving at MCO by 9 am. That was also a rare trip for us when we did not have a rental car. I don't know where you're flying from and when a 6 am (ish) departure would have you arriving, but 5:40 pm seems ample time, unless as others have suggested, you become aware of major weather issues 1-2 days beforehand.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Posts
    3,963
    What ADR? Have you considered just waiting till you are 100% certain your plane is taking off and then making the ADR? That's what we do
    There are extremely few ADR that need to be booked early. Almost all are available same day. If there's not a reason for us to book one of those extremely hard to get ADR of there's not a reason I need to know a confirmation number in advance (like to order a cake) we never book until that morning. And we only eat TS, never QS.

    That said, you can always use the Change feature to move it out to a later date/time and then cancel. With a few exceptions like show packages you can do this up to about 3 hours before dining time.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Posts
    3,963
    Oh, and for what it's worth, the no show charge is up to the manager at the individual restaurant. It's not automatic. They review all no shows at the end of the day and process some, and not others. I haven't a clue what criteria they use to access them but there are times when we've missed ADR for a variety of reasons and I think we've only been charged once, maybe twice. And even then, it was not per head but just $10.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MrFredricksen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    What ADR? Have you considered just waiting till you are 100% certain your plane is taking off and then making the ADR? That's what we do
    There are extremely few ADR that need to be booked early. Almost all are available same day. If there's not a reason for us to book one of those extremely hard to get ADR of there's not a reason I need to know a confirmation number in advance (like to order a cake) we never book until that morning. And we only eat TS, never QS.

    That said, you can always use the Change feature to move it out to a later date/time and then cancel. With a few exceptions like show packages you can do this up to about 3 hours before dining time.
    Funny you say that, but we had the hardest time today getting the ADRs we wanted. The one in question now isn't even for the location we wanted. We wanted Sci-Fi and couldn't get one at all for that day. We booked 50's prime time instead and just don't know if it is worth the risk. I do like the idea of keeping it and waiting until a few days before to see the weather. And then also it being at the discretion of the manager. If I called them that day and said "my flight was supposed to get in at 11:30 but we didn't arrive until 5pm", maybe they will be nice and waive the fee.

    But waiting to book the ADRs isn't really an option. Everything is practically gone already at the 180 day mark. I have never had such a hard time booking in all the years of going.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

  10. #10
    the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    5,599
    I suspect Free Dining has made the most popular ADRs even more difficult to get.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

  11. #11
    Senior Member hizouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Monument, CO
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    That said, you can always use the Change feature to move it out to a later date/time and then cancel. With a few exceptions like show packages you can do this up to about 3 hours before dining time.
    I'd make the reservation because of this. Instead of cancelling the reservation, you just modify it in the app or on the website for a different day. Once modified, you can cancel with no penalty.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ChristineOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by hizouse View Post
    I'd make the reservation because of this. Instead of cancelling the reservation, you just modify it in the app or on the website for a different day. Once modified, you can cancel with no penalty.
    I would do this. Or call and explain. I doubt you'll be charged.

    Also, MrFredericksen, we find Sci Fi very hard to book too. We try to book the first lunch seating, because they always seem to be running really late on seating people. And they won't let you check in early. I've usually been able to get it at 180 though, but I haven't gone during free dining.
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    Funny you say that, but we had the hardest time today getting the ADRs we wanted. The one in question now isn't even for the location we wanted. We wanted Sci-Fi and couldn't get one at all for that day. We booked 50's prime time instead and just don't know if it is worth the risk. I do like the idea of keeping it and waiting until a few days before to see the weather. And then also it being at the discretion of the manager. If I called them that day and said "my flight was supposed to get in at 11:30 but we didn't arrive until 5pm", maybe they will be nice and waive the fee.

    But waiting to book the ADRs isn't really an option. Everything is practically gone already at the 180 day mark. I have never had such a hard time booking in all the years of going.
    The thing about ADR, they tend to be harder to book at 180 days than at 18 hours. Go figure. They really do open up, by a lot.
    But yeah, the odds are pretty great that they would be understanding to a flight delay, if you were unable to move the reservation

  14. #14
    Senior Member BSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    513
    I wasn't feeling very well before our BOG ADR last year. I tried to move it and couldn't, so I called (it was too close to cancel online). They asked my reason for canceling and when I said I wasn't feeling well, they waived the fee. I would imagine the same would be true for a flight delay.

    Also, I have yet to be completely shut out of an ADR. I have had several over the years that I couldn't book at 180 or had to take some time that I didn't really want, but have always managed to get them booked or moved by the day of the ADR. People cancel all the time and they cancel like crazy 24 hours out to avoid the fee. Like Angi said, it can be easier at the last minute than 6 months out. Don't be discouraged.
    Jen

  15. #15
    Senior Member KangaFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    138
    Not sure if this is still the case, but last summer we were also able to modify the date and time of our ADRs instead of cancelling them, so you could always try to move it to a different day if you know you're going to miss it.
    1/07 POFQ1/09 offsite1/11 POP/AKL1/13 BWV9/14 F&W@BWV12/14 Girls only@BCV8/15 POP10/16 F&W@BWV 6/18 DD16th@AKV 8/19 Girls only@AKV

    Hoping to someday be as patient as Kanga . . .

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by KangaFan View Post
    Not sure if this is still the case, but last summer we were also able to modify the date and time of our ADRs instead of cancelling them, so you could always try to move it to a different day if you know you're going to miss it.
    Yes, this is still possible. With most, but not all, ADR. There are a few you can't move on the same day. They do lock them in at some point, not sure exactly how far out, a couple hours

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    Yes, this is still possible. With most, but not all, ADR. There are a few you can't move on the same day. They do lock them in at some point, not sure exactly how far out, a couple hours
    We had this problem last summer with Via Napoli. About 2 hours before our reservation, we decided instead to go to the Boardwalk for Big River Grill (the nachos there are fantastic) and I couldn't modify the Via Napoli reservation in the app. I had to call, and even though Big River Grill doesn't do ADRs, when I explained what our plan was, the CM cancelled my Via Napoli with no charge since we were "going to another Disney restaurant." So maybe telling the CM you're going to another Disney place that doesn't take ADRs serves as a "get out of jail free" card.

    Regardless, I'm not sure if the "no last-minute modification" policy is because Via Napoli is so busy, or because they're operated by a third party, or both, but that's the only time I've personally encountered that.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    134
    My daughter got sick the night before our BOG 8 am pre- park opening reservations. I was too tired to call and thought "I'll just eat the fee". Given the popularity of the reservation, I was surprised that we didn't get charged. I'm sure if you speak to a cast member and explain, extraordinary Disney Customer Service will prevail and you'll be fine.
    MaryEllen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •