Thread: Any appreciable difference between these two Thanksgiving possibilities?

Any appreciable difference between these two Thanksgiving possibilities?

We've gone at Thanksgiving several years in a row, and usually fly in on Thanksgiving or the Wednesday before and stay through either Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. Flights are cheap (especially on Thanksgiving) and while it's quite busy through the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the parks have been well staffed and things really clear out and give us a few quite manageable days from Sunday on. It was our plan to do that again this year, but my husband may have some conflicts at work for the Mon-Tue following Thanksgiving, so we are now looking at going from the Saturday before to the Saturday after (11/23-11/30). My sense is that the days leading up to Thanksgiving are quite busy, but I haven't paid too much attention to things thinking we'd never have to go then. I also feel like flights might be ridiculous. Any experience from anyone whose gone in the beginning of Thanksgiving week? I can get the resort room/tickets for the same price, so that's not an issue, and our daughter will miss two days of high school either way. Thanks!

These are our dates too. We have never visited WDW at during any holiday, but this year in order to be able to go thanksgiving week was our only option!! I hope you get some answers because I have the same ones!

We’ve gone several times during Thanksgiving week, Saturday to Saturday, but we’ve always driven, so I can’t really chime in on flights.

Our kids are out the entire week, which I think is common in southern school districts. The whole week is pretty bananas, but crowds pick up a bit on Wednesday
    Brandi

I've gone twice at Thanksgiving, once the Saturday before Thanksgiving to the Friday after, and once the Friday to the Monday after Thanksgiving, and I thought crowds seemed higher on the trip before Thanksgiving. However, I enjoyed both trips and found them manageable - the cooler weather helps a lot!

We went Thanksgiving week last year and I thought crowds weren't too bad until Thanksgiving Day. It was noticeably busier Thursday and Friday.
    2008: offsite, 2009: Pop Century, 2010: Movies, 2011: Movies, 2012: Pop Century, 2013: Pop Century, 2014: Pop Century,
    2015: AKV-Kidani, 2016: Pop Century, 2017: Pop Century, 2018: Pop Century, 2019: Old Key West

Your flights will definitely be more expensive. The worst days are Wednesday and Sunday, but I imagine your return flight is where you will see sticker shock the most.
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

Thanks, everyone! We actually ended up bagging the Thanksgiving trip in favor of an August trip. The summer deals lured us into our first ever stay at the Poly. We switched to the summer plan before Southwest released their flights for November, and I'm glad we did. The early morning flight we took on Thanksgiving day doesn't even exist any more, and the costs were significantly higher than in prior years. Now, I just have to figure out how to deal with the heat and humidity of August!

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
    Thanks, everyone! We actually ended up bagging the Thanksgiving trip in favor of an August trip. The summer deals lured us into our first ever stay at the Poly. We switched to the summer plan before Southwest released their flights for November, and I'm glad we did. The early morning flight we took on Thanksgiving day doesn't even exist any more, and the costs were significantly higher than in prior years. Now, I just have to figure out how to deal with the heat and humidity of August!
    I can help with the heat and humidity. We go end of August all the time (and will be there this year as well)
    Main tips
    1 - take a mid day break. This is our #1 must. Every single day we take a break. There is no chance you will catch us anywhere near any park between 1 and 4. If your plan does not allow for a break, take a long table service lunch between 1:30 and 3:30 and do long indoor shows right before and immediately after,
    2 - free water. free water. free water. All counter service locations will give you a cup of ice water for free. Just ask. Don't buy any.
    3 - get a frogg togg (or similar). These things are great and with a quick rinse in a bathroom sink they are nice and cool
    4 - make sure you have the right shoes for water rides, if you aren't leaving right after see if you can bring a change with you. Have another pair at the hotel to give the wet ones time to dry
    5 - plan with minimal walking and go from indoor ride to indoor ride to indoor ride. You would be shocked at how much time you can actually be inside.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    I can help with the heat and humidity. We go end of August all the time (and will be there this year as well)
    Main tips
    1 - take a mid day break. This is our #1 must. Every single day we take a break. There is no chance you will catch us anywhere near any park between 1 and 4. If your plan does not allow for a break, take a long table service lunch between 1:30 and 3:30 and do long indoor shows right before and immediately after,
    2 - free water. free water. free water. All counter service locations will give you a cup of ice water for free. Just ask. Don't buy any.
    3 - get a frogg togg (or similar). These things are great and with a quick rinse in a bathroom sink they are nice and cool
    4 - make sure you have the right shoes for water rides, if you aren't leaving right after see if you can bring a change with you. Have another pair at the hotel to give the wet ones time to dry
    5 - plan with minimal walking and go from indoor ride to indoor ride to indoor ride. You would be shocked at how much time you can actually be inside.
    Thank you!

1) We are normally in the parks all day and perfectly happy to stay at Pop Century since we basically just sleep there, but one of the ways I convinced my husband to go in the summer was with the promise that we'd spend the afternoons at the resort, and so the Poly would be "worth it" on a trip like this.
    2) Will absolutely stay well hydrated.
    3) We have some of these. I'm amazed, but they actually work! I also got some little fans you hang around your neck (not misters, because I didn't think I wanted more water on me in the humidity), but hopefully they'll help a little, as well.
    4) We all have Tevas or Chacos so should be good there.
    5) I couldn't get our FPs quite the way I wanted for this purpose, but we'll make adjustments on the fly or skip things if we feel we need to.

Taking breaks cost me money. We used to stay at Pop and be in the parks all day. Once we started taking breaks, DW insisted on upgrading to moderate resorts. Mainly because of the satellite pools. These small pools are great, and I can say there have been several times when we were the only ones there in the middle of the day. Fabulous. Quite and relaxing. We would say "It is so quite and peaceful, I can't believe I am in Disney"
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.