Thread: BLT or Beach Club for first week of November?

BLT or Beach Club for first week of November?

Hello!! We are hoping to head back to WDW the first week of November this year. It will be me, my wife, and our 7 year old boy/girl twins. This will be our third trip. The first two trips we stayed at BLT and absolutely loved the convenience of walking to MK. The kids enjoyed the pool too.

For this this trip we are looking at staying at Beach Club instead of BLT. The price for renting dvc points for a standard room is basically even between BC and BLT. We will likely end up spending 1 day in EP, AK, and HS and 2 days at MK. But we will probably have park hoppers too, so we can hop parks after taking advantage of EMH or in the evenings. Even though we are Star Wars fans, Iím guessing we will probably avoid Star Wars land even if it is open by then. But the kids loved Slinky Dog and Jedi Training last time so weíll probably try to hit HS for at least part of a day.

We really like EP too. Soarin is definitely one of our favorites, so spending some extra time in EP would be a nice bonus.

But we have definitely spent the majority of our time at MK during our first two trips.

I know each resort has its benefits:
    Beach Club
    possible to walk to HS
    easy access to EP via IG
    awesome pools (but we donít plan on spending more than an afternoon at the pool)

BLT
    Easy walk to MK
    monorail to EP

So it is kind of a toss up for us at the moment. Does anyone have a clear favorite between BC and BLT?

thanks in advance for any thoughts!

that's a shame
    If you can rent DVC points for that week (it's a very busy/popular time for the Epcot resorts), then BC. It's Epcot Food and Wine Festival time.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

If you have done 2 trips at BLT I would try BC just for the change. We've never stayed at BC but we have stayed 2x at Boardwalk right across from it and we own at BLT and have stayed there 2-3 times. They are both extremely convenient. There is more to do and see at the Epcot resort area than there is at BLT Contemporary, but it's not an overwhelming reason to stay there. I think the biggest things recommending BC are its pool and proximity to 2 parks. Since you plan 2 days at Epcot/HS and 2 at MK, that's a wash. One thing to consider is all the restaurants in Epcot. Since you have hoppers and if you do table service dinners it is very convenient to do your morning park time, return to your rooms in the afternoon, relax a bit, and then walk to Epcot for dinner.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Thanks to both of you! That is a good point about food and wine. I didn’t realize that would still be going on. I haven’t checked availability yet, so that may end up making the decision for us if BC isn’t available. In the past I’ve booked right around the 11 month mark so we’ve gotten lucky with availability. But I haven’t been able to pull the trigger yet for this trip.

And I do like the idea of exploring the Boardwalk area since we haven’t made it there yet. So that is a bonus for BC (although as you pointed out, not a huge plus since we are planning to spend most of our time at the parks).

How is the walk to HS from BC? About 20-25 minutes?

How are the buses to MK and AK from BC? We have had pretty good luck with the buses and monorail at BLT on our previous trips.

You might enjoy a split stay and get the best of both worlds. We've done that twice with the BLT/BCV combo. Then you can plan park days so you can walk to 3 out of 4 parks.Especially with uncertainty about availability, it may be difficult to get all nights at one resort.

I admit the packing and unpacking is a pain with 2 kids. It's about 2 hrs for us, but I think worth the convenience in the end. It does make me wish my children were more tidy.

As soon as I read your post I was concerned about availability for you, since you are well past 11 months already for one of the busier times of the year for DVC rooms. Doing a quick check on availability for the first week of Nov ... (this is subject to change of course)

- For BCV, there are no Studios available (not even a single night), but there is still quite a bit available for 1BR. (from 11/4 and on)

- For BLT, there is also very limited availability in the Standard View rooms you mentioned (they usually go pretty quick). The Studios only have 1 night that week, and the 1BRs only have 3 nights.

Not only are you running into the difficulty of a busy season, booking a Standard View room at BLT (always hard) and the Food and Wine Festival at BCV (very hard), the Wine and Dine Half Marathon is actually the first weekend of Nov also... so that makes it even harder for that first weekend (not sure your exact dates).

Depending on what room type you are looking for (I couldn't tell), and your exact dates, you may even have a hard time at some other resorts already, especially for Studios. I would finalize the dates you want, and then see what's out there... you may be surprised.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    You might enjoy a split stay and get the best of both worlds. We've done that twice with the BLT/BCV combo. Then you can plan park days so you can walk to 3 out of 4 parks.Especially with uncertainty about availability, it may be difficult to get all nights at one resort.
    I agree with this potentially being a good option here, especially with the limited availability at some places for that entire week. We have done BLT/BCV combo, PVB/BWV combo, and PVB/BCV combo, and then planned the trip accordingly with more MK time during one part, and more EP/HS time during the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfkbearcats View Post
    How are the buses to MK and AK from BC? We have had pretty good luck with the buses and monorail at BLT on our previous trips.
    They are alright, but like most Deluxe resorts don't expect anything too special. They do share with YC (and sometimes others). We had decent luck on our recent stay at BCV, but we tried to mostly stick to walking to EP and HS for that part of the trip, and minimized the buses we used.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfkbearcats View Post
    How is the walk to HS from BC? About 20-25 minutes?
    Yeah, 20-25 is about right, of course depending on how fast you walk. Its a little over 1 mile, and changes a little based on your exact room location.

Here is a map from HS all the way to Epcot, which is pretty similar. (from a thread I created here: https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...th-Google-Maps)

Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Tough call! We LOVED YC, which is essentially the same as BC. However we also love the pool which is not a factor for you. However, if cost is the same, and you didn't want to split, I am definitely a fan of trying new things so I'd still say go with BC. Also, we haven't done this (yet) but considered for our trip this summer - getting the hopper and essentially ending most nights at Epcot for dinner. So nice to be able to walk it. We were going to hit all of the AM EMH's and then hop over to Epcot in PM. Save for 1 dedicated day at DHS - also convenient with the boats.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC

Thanks everyone!! The split stay is something we hadn’t really thought of but it sounds like a good option this time, especially if availability is limited. I just sent in the DVC request with BC as option #1 and BLT as option #2. Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks again for the help everyone! You were spot on about availability being an issue. There was no availability at BC at all that week. But we did get a studio at BLT for 4/5 nights. We booked our arrival night at All Star Movies. Looking forward to our first ever split stay and checking out Movies since we havenít ever been there before.