Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Existential Crisis: It's in the Past

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Your adventures sound exciting. And fun. You should’ve told me you were going, I’d have joined you for at least a couple of days. But then you wouldn’t have the same experience, right? After all:

“Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere.”
    -Vertigo
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Happy belated birthday! Nice that you could close the last year's journey with what appears to be a great trip so far! Your change in attitude is apparent and, I'm sure, hard won. Must be all those rollercoasters!

Thanks for all the great info, Brian, and happy belated birthday!
    Once in a lifetime trip in 2004 ...

he's right
    Today is the day. Today is the reason I really came down. Today marks a full year of sobriety---the first of many to come.

So, other than the obvious, why is this trip different? My visits to WDW used to be an escape from the world, and a way to get in touch with bits of my emotional landscape in a safe but artificial way. They were taken alone, and that was by design, because even when I was around other people, I was truly alone. This trip I am by myself, but contentedly in solitude, and better connected to everyone around me.

I got two buttons the day I arrived.

IMG_4539.jpg

The Birthday button I wore only on the 2nd. I've worn the "1 year" button the rest of the time. Nearly every CM who's asked about it has been genuinely thrilled. Several have shared the recovery story of close relatives. One shared their own recovery story. Many guests who have overheard have also been openly supportive. There's lots more to this that I might share later, but for now, I leave you with the back of the shirt I made for the trip that sums it all up.

361625719.jpg
    Last edited by bnoble; 02-05-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Wow. Congrats and great picture!

Congratulations, happy birthday, and I like that shirt!
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

That's fantastic news. Congratulations!
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Brian! That's awesome! Congratulations! Love the shirt!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

Congratulations. I love the shirt — and the Chewbacca ears
    Brandi

Congrats Brian. Happy for you! ... and enjoying following along on your celebration trip.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR

Congrats! And a wonderful way to mark your anniversary!

One year of sobriety is very impressive! Thank your for sharing! I lost someone very near and dear to me from alcoholism. Stories of recovery are so uplifting. Way to go, Brian!

Congratulations! This trip is extra special indeed!
    Jen

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    What a way to celebrate! We enter the world alone and leave alone, and if we're truly happy even when we're alone, there's not much more we can ask for.

You're a terrific person, and I admire your tenacity and humility.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Awesome accomplishment - congratulations!

he's right
    A few more notes:

The MDE app (at least on iOS on my particular phone) is extremely cranky and slow. The mobile web site has been a better bet, and it can do everything except mobile order. I also find myself turning WiFi off in the parks from time to time. It's made me hesitant to use Mobile Order, b/c I'm never confident I can get the app to load without crashing.

My same-day FP luck has been good, including Space Mountain, Flight of Passage (!), Big Thunder, Tower, Illuminations, and Splash. Caveat: I'm only searching for one person. But, I suspect this is because things aren't all that busy compared to my normal visits (where same-day FP are much more difficult even searching for 1).

As always, night-of or same-day ADRs are possible. At 3:30 today, I booked a table for California Grill at 6:10. (That could have been a table for two.) Again, slow season caveats.

Took a night ride on Slinky. Still only okay. I would not endure a wait longer than about 30 minutes to ride it again. Maybe 45, but probably not. But, the Land is gorgeous at night.

Congratulations on your 1st year of sobriety! That is a true accomplishment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats on your 1st year! That is a huge success. I have personal experience with similar battles. It is good to hear and fantastic to celebrate!

Congratulations and Happy Birthday, my soul was made glad to read your post��.

I'm absolutely thrilled for you! You've made some tough changes. Thank you for being willing to share with us and for being an inspiration to others.

Enjoying hearing your impression about both the new and the old in the parks. Agree with you about Slinky. It's cute, but even my kids weren't interested in riding it more than twice at our EMM. I did enjoy the night view of the park from Slinky.

Happy Birthday, Brian. Keep Coming Back!
    We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Congratulations! (and happy belated birthday) It's great to hear you doing well again. And your thoughts on all things Disney are always welcome too!