Thread: Chefs de France or Teppan Edo?

Chefs de France or Teppan Edo?

We are trying to branch out and try some new places on our upcoming trip. I have reservations at both but I need to make a decision soon. It will be Myself, DH and our 3 girls 14, 12 & 8. They have eaten hibachi style before but have never been to a French restaurant.

I am really torn on which reservations to keep so I need some help!

We've been to Cafe de France when it's been super good and when it's been meh. Things that have been excellent were the sauces/broths (in meat/seafood dishes and french onion soup), the salad, and the service (2 out of 3 times). The same things were just ok another time. But I would recommend it.

The food and service are better and more consistent at Teppan Edo than Chefs de France. But it's not a unique only-at-disney kind of experience. I think it just depends on what your priorities are. We would aways choose Teppan Edo over Chefs because some of the things we have been served at Chefs were barely edible. If we want to get a "feel like I'm in France" vibe we go with Monsieur Paul because of the superior food quality at a price point not all that much higher than Chefs.

he's right
    Teppan is like any hibachi style place anywhere. If your goal is to branch out, and you have a hibachi locally, I'd go to Chef's. I've never had a regrettable meal there, and they manage to do that left-bank bistro vibe surprisingly well.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Teppan is like any hibachi style place anywhere. If your goal is to branch out, and you have a hibachi locally, I'd go to Chef's. I've never had a regrettable meal there, and they manage to do that left-bank bistro vibe surprisingly well.
    Ditto on this logic. Teppan Edo didn't seem much different that hibachi places we've been elsewhere. It's been a while since we've been to Chefs, but we've always liked it...
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Tritto on the advice to try Chef's if you're been to a local hibachi but not to a French restaurant.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quattro on Chefs over Teppan. I always found that everything tastes the same at Teppan, no matter what you order. If it didn't have the "circuses" going for it, it'd be the most boring restaurant in the World. Chefs does a more than decent job of providing atmosphere and good food. I've found it consistently better-than-average.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    The food and service are better and more consistent at Teppan Edo than Chefs de France. But it's not a unique only-at-disney kind of experience. I think it just depends on what your priorities are. We would aways choose Teppan Edo over Chefs because some of the things we have been served at Chefs were barely edible. If we want to get a "feel like I'm in France" vibe we go with Monsieur Paul because of the superior food quality at a price point not all that much higher than Chefs.
    What dishes did you not like at Chefs? I have an upcoming ADR in February and have been torn on my Epcot options.

Quote Originally Posted by MBurdge View Post
    What dishes did you not like at Chefs? I have an upcoming ADR in February and have been torn on my Epcot options.
    It's been a few years since we've been to Chefs because it's on my husband's "never again" list since our last meal. It wasn't so much the specific item as the poor preparation. His meat was still frozen on the inside and charred on the outside. My food was in a pool of brown sauce that had a skin on top from sitting under the heat lamp. The service was poor. We couldn't have even requested a re-do on the entrees if we had wanted to because our server never stopped by again until he brought the check. Our 2 other meals prior were not as bad but I would say average to below average.

But pretty much every Disney restaurant has stories of bad meals or off nights, or even off months. My first meal at Hollywood and Vine was awful. We've had several really good meals there (for a Disney buffet) since they changed over to the seasonal dine. And then Josh's most recent review suggests quality has declined again. So I wouldn't let our one experience deter you. The Disney restaurants have a lot of inconsistency. I'm sorry I can't give advice about which entree is better than another. I'd probably refer to Josh's most recent review, he really has the most reliable food reviews out there for Disney!

George's opinion of consistently better-than-average makes me wonder if we should give Chefs another shot, maybe for an informal bistro lunch. I do love the setting. Both of the restaurants in France remind me of Paris. Although the one thing my husband shakes his fist about NOT being authentic at both is the difficulty in getting water without ice

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    It's been a few years since we've been to Chefs because it's on my husband's "never again" list since our last meal. It wasn't so much the specific item as the poor preparation. His meat was still frozen on the inside and charred on the outside. My food was in a pool of brown sauce that had a skin on top from sitting under the heat lamp. The service was poor. We couldn't have even requested a re-do on the entrees if we had wanted to because our server never stopped by again until he brought the check. Our 2 other meals prior were not as bad but I would say average to below average.

But pretty much every Disney restaurant has stories of bad meals or off nights, or even off months. My first meal at Hollywood and Vine was awful. We've had several really good meals there (for a Disney buffet) since they changed over to the seasonal dine. And then Josh's most recent review suggests quality has declined again. So I wouldn't let our one experience deter you. The Disney restaurants have a lot of inconsistency. I'm sorry I can't give advice about which entree is better than another. I'd probably refer to Josh's most recent review, he really has the most reliable food reviews out there for Disney!

George's opinion of consistently better-than-average makes me wonder if we should give Chefs another shot, maybe for an informal bistro lunch. I do love the setting. Both of the restaurants in France remind me of Paris. Although the one thing my husband shakes his fist about NOT being authentic at both is the difficulty in getting water without ice
    Yikes! That certainly sounds like a disaster of a meal, I would not want to return either!

I have found that everyone simultaneously hates and loves every Disney restaurant.

Appreciate all the input & I think we will keep the reservation in Chefs de France. Thank you!