Thread: First Time AP!

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar

First Time AP!

I've read/seen a lot about TiW but I'm confused on if I have to have it in addition to the AP or if it's just something that will give me an additional discount on top of what I get with my AP. I asked my TA about it and she just said she could now link dining to an AP so no TiW needed. I just purchased an AP yesterday and it is showing in MDE. I already have ADRs for my trip in May. I think there's only a couple of restaurants that I'm going to that give the discount for an AP. Will I just need to show my AP when paying to get the discount? How would I link it to my dining? Or is it already linked since it's in MDE? Do I even need to link it to my dining?

As for getting the AP itself, I know I have to go to Guest Services somewhere to get the actual card. Do I have to print out the e-mail or can they just scan from my phone? The reason I ask is because when I open the e-mail on my computer, the barcode isn't showing. I've gone in settings to try to change it but I can't get it to show. But, if I open the e-mail on my phone, the barcode is there. Would they be able to scan it like that?

Thanks!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century
    November 2010 @ Pop Century
    August 2016 @ Pop Century
    August 2017 @ DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
    May 2019 @ All-Stars Movies
    August 2019 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Your travel agent has no idea what she's talking about. Tables in Wonderland is essentially a prepaid discount card, good for a little more than 12 months (it expires the following year, at the end of the month following the one in which you purchase it). For $150 (for AP holders and DVC members) you're entitled to 20% off food and beverage (including alcohol) at most table service venues and bars on property. The complete list is at tablesinwonderland.com. The AP discount is only 10%, does not include alcohol, and is much more limited by venue. You will need to show your physical Annual Pass when you are paying to receive the discount. There is no way to "link" it, whatever that even means.

This chart shows the various discounts in a pretty easy to understand format: http://allears.net/wp-content/upload...isc_dining.pdf

Guest services will be able to create your annual pass with the e-mail and your photo ID (every member will need their photo ID).
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

unsure of the release date for the dumbo anniversary dvd but waiting outside best buy just the same jillyb's Avatar
    Thanks! If, I'm understanding correctly, I don't HAVE to have it in addition to my AP. It's just a way to get a better discount on food and beverage than I get with my AP.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

August 2016 Trip Report http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...ip-08-10-08-20[/B]

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    If you want the benefit of the Tables in Wonderland discount card, then yes, you have to have the Tables in Wonderland discount card.

If you don't have the Tables in Wonderland discount card, you will not receive said benefits.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

If you do a lot of sitdown meals and would have an alcoholic beverage or two a day on vacation the TIW card is well worth the money. We easily pay the card off in one trip. However, if the places you plan to eat are not eligible (or you mainly QS eat) and/or don't drink it has less value. But correct you by no means need a TIW card and would need to purchase it separately.

Other things that are important are that for all types of discount AP, TIW and DVC the person who holds the card will need to be the person who is paying and you will have to present the respective card (and possibly ID as well) to receive the discount. Your mileage may vary here but typically you cannot receive the full discount and split the check with someone else (without them having their own) nor would your spouse or kids or anyone else be able to use said card if your name is on it. Some servers are more lax about it, but those are the technical rules.

As far as exchanging for your AP if you cannot get the barcode on your phone I'd print it just to be safe. They should be able to help you without it and without the barcode, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    If you do a lot of sitdown meals and would have an alcoholic beverage or two a day on vacation the TIW card is well worth the money. We easily pay the card off in one trip. However, if the places you plan to eat are not eligible (or you mainly QS eat) and/or don't drink it has less value. But correct you by no means need a TIW card and would need to purchase it separately.

Other things that are important are that for all types of discount AP, TIW and DVC the person who holds the card will need to be the person who is paying and you will have to present the respective card (and possibly ID as well) to receive the discount. Your mileage may vary here but typically you cannot receive the full discount and split the check with someone else (without them having their own) nor would your spouse or kids or anyone else be able to use said card if your name is on it. Some servers are more lax about it, but those are the technical rules.
    Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know! I'm not much of a drinker but I occasionally have one. I could easily get my money back just in meals on my trip in May. Out of all my ADRs, I would be able to use TiW at 7 of them.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

As far as exchanging for your AP if you cannot get the barcode on your phone I'd print it just to be safe. They should be able to help you without it and without the barcode, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
    No, it's the other way around. It's not showing up on the e-mail but it does show up on my phone. I probably will print it out just to be safe though.
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    No, it's the other way around. It's not showing up on the e-mail but it does show up on my phone. I probably will print it out just to be safe though.
    super weird. You should be fine. They can look you up other ways worst case. They are there to be helpful so as long as you have the order number they should be able to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
    Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know! I'm not much of a drinker but I occasionally have one. I could easily get my money back just in meals on my trip in May. Out of all my ADRs, I would be able to use TiW at 7 of them.
    I'd go for it then. you can always wait till you arrive to decide. Any guest services can get you a TIW card. I will say the only downside of that is you will get a paper card. Ordering ahead by calling gets you a plastic one.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Your travel agent has no idea what she's talking about. Tables in Wonderland is essentially a prepaid discount card, good for a little more than 12 months (it expires the following year, at the end of the month following the one in which you purchase it). For $150 (for AP holders and DVC members) you're entitled to 20% off food and beverage (including alcohol) at most table service venues and bars on property. The complete list is at tablesinwonderland.com. The AP discount is only 10%, does not include alcohol, and is much more limited by venue. You will need to show your physical Annual Pass when you are paying to receive the discount. There is no way to "link" it, whatever that even means.

This chart shows the various discounts in a pretty easy to understand format: http://allears.net/wp-content/upload...isc_dining.pdf

Guest services will be able to create your annual pass with the e-mail and your photo ID (every member will need their photo ID).
    One more important note about the TiW card, using one will automatically add 18% tip when you pay. That's one of the things I love the most about it, no math at the end of the meal. Sure, there are times we add more but it's easy to just add $5, $10 more than figure tip. Here, we double our tax and get 20% but that doesn't work everywhere. Math is not my strong suit, LOL. We have several adult beverages with any meal so this is an automatic thing we get every year.

And on a side note, what the heck kind of TA is this?!? Sure, a TA can not know much about AP related stuff. In that case, you say, I'm sorry, I don't know much about AP stuff. But why on earth would any worthwhile TA give out such bad, incorrect info? Personally, that concerns me. What else is this TA going on about that is incorrect?

super weird. You should be fine. They can look you up other ways worst case. They are there to be helpful so as long as you have the order number they should be able to figure it out.
    I'd go for it then. you can always wait till you arrive to decide. Any guest services can get you a TIW card. I will say the only downside of that is you will get a paper card. Ordering ahead by calling gets you a plastic one.
    Thanks!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century

One other question: I have 6 day base tickets that I purchased from UT in 2013. I was originally going to use these tickets for my May trip but not that I have an AP I won't need them. Looking in MDE, I can see those 6 day tickets, my AP, and the 3 tickets I bought for the first MNSSHP. Is it safe for me to assign those 6 day tickets to my daughter or granddaughter? I'm assuming it is but we're talking Disney IT here. I just don't want to mess anything up!
    Jill & Hannah

June 2008 @ Pop Century