Thread: Which DVC Resort

Which DVC Resort

So, Beach Club for our dates next year is booked up for studios, and that has been our favorite. DD loves the pool and DH and I like being able to walk to EP and DHS. But this year we need to at least have a second choice at 7 months while we wait to see if our wait list comes through.

We have never stayed at any of the other DVC resorts, though we have done things liken eaten in a lot of them. We are trying to decide between the following.

Poly (if we can get it, I'd be surprised though, good dining, monorail, good pool, good theme)
    Bay Lake Tower (lots of good dining near by, walk to MK, monorail, but theme isn't there and the pool seems so boring)
    Animal Kingdom (great theme, animals outside, good restaurants, pool seems good, inconvenient location, longer bus rides).

I think if we can get it we will go with Poly, but if we can't then we need a back up, and I having never stayed at either I can't decide. Also, is there one I'm missing that might be good for us? We ruled out Boardwalk because DD flat out refuses to swim in the scary clown pool.
    Cindy

Im with DD on the scary clown pool. That thing is downright creepy.

I think all of your above choices are good. We like all 3. If I had to eliminate one I think personally it would be Bay Lake. And its because the pool is so boring and not so relaxing in my opinion.
    Poly is a great location with a gorgeous theme. If you plan to spend a bunch of time swimming I'd go with Poly then AK.

I will say being able to head up to the Top of the World for a beverage and fireworks was a plus though...

All of them are great, you will be happy at any of them.

FWIW I managed to switch into a Poly studio at the 7-month mark for a Presidents' Week stay in February 2017, so keep up hope and good luck.

Between your other 2 options I would pick Bay Lake. You properly outlined the basic +/- of each resort. It's a matter of preference. I like the clean, understated theming at BLT and the proximity to the MK. But many folks would pick the opposite and I can't say they are wrong for their preferences.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

he's right
    I've not been in a few years, but when we were at BLT, guests there could use the Contemporary pool (but not vice-versa). That made the pool situation a little bit better. However, I'd be hard-pressed to put two in a BLT studio, let alone three. (We were in a 2BR there.)

It sounds like you aren't yet at your 7 month mark... which means you have a lot more chance of getting things, or at least a waitlist. When are you traveling? For how many nights? And, is part of the issue with availability at BCV due to Food and Wine?

I for sure wouldn't give up on Beach Club if that's what you really want, since there can be some cancellations at 7 months if Beach Club Owners decide to go elsewhere. But... if you have never stayed at any of the other DVC resorts, maybe it's time to try something new anyway. We love the variety, and have now stayed at them all (except if you count CCV and BRV at Wilderness Lodge as separate) and see how they all have unique advantages depending on what you are looking for.

You listed the advantages well, a few of my thoughts...
    - BWV: I wouldn't give up on BWV too quickly. I get the whole scary clown thing, but honestly my kids have never cared, and it doesn't matter to them in the least (you don't see the clown as you come down it anyway). Plus, there is a quiet pool you can use too. If you can get BWV then you still have the ability to get to EP or HS walking like you are used to.
    - Poly: We love Poly (will be staying there starting on Sat), and if you can get it go for it. I think it would be worth waitlisting, depending on the length of stay. The rooms are larger, and the 'dual' bathroom setup is great.
    - BLT: Yes, the Studios are smaller, but we stayed there with 4 of us and it was fun to try something different. The main benefits to me are simply being able to walk to MK, and TotWL... beyond that it wasn't my favorite, but since we were mostly spending time in the park over that time, the room size didn't matter.
    - AKV: We love AKV. It's one of our home resorts, and it truly feels like "home" to us when we go there. We especially like it there for a more low-key trip, and more resort time. Yes it is farther for transportation, but the buses run often enough that it usually isn't too bad.

You didn't mention the DVCs at Wilderness Lodge... I would consider it too, if nothing else as a backup plan if the others are hard to get. Not my favorite resort, but it was very fun to stay there, and a very different vibe.

As I think about it more ... I almost feel like you should use this as an opportunity to try something new, and find a new favorite. Or, depending on how long you are there, maybe even try a split stay and do 1/2 of your trip at two different places.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Iíve stayed in DVC studios at all 3. And Poly is by far my favorite of all DVC resorts, great pool, easiest monorail (easier than the other two bc you can walk to TTC for ep monorail), and many other perks. However, BLT is my second favorite DVC resort. Love that we can walk to MK, and monorail to ep, and really really love the ease of seeing fireworks with the music piped in, TOTW lounge is great, but I actually like the bridge even better, less crowded and easier for the kids to see. The studios are small, but itís actually a very efficient use of the small space IMHO. I like the side position of the kitchen so lots of kitchen storage, and I like how itís to the side so it blocks the view letting my kids sleep later than me, the bathroom has lots of nooks for supplies too. I like AKL too, so I like all your choices, but we prioritize transportation, and fireworks, so I like Poly or BLT better. (fWIW I would only stay at Jambo, kidini annoys me that I canít get real food there since the QS restaurant is at Jambo... or at least plan Accordingly at kidani. The pool at kidani is better than Jambo tho! The only two resorts I donít care for are key west and boardwalk, but I never stayed at Saratoga.

Quote Originally Posted by CJG17 View Post
    I’ve stayed in DVC studios at all 3. And Poly is by far my favorite of all DVC resorts, great pool, easiest monorail (easier than the other two bc you can walk to TTC for ep monorail), and many other perks. However, BLT is my second favorite DVC resort. Love that we can walk to MK, and monorail to ep, and really really love the ease of seeing fireworks with the music piped in, TOTW lounge is great, but I actually like the bridge even better, less crowded and easier for the kids to see. The studios are small, but it’s actually a very efficient use of the small space IMHO. I like the side position of the kitchen so lots of kitchen storage, and I like how it’s to the side so it blocks the view letting my kids sleep later than me, the bathroom has lots of nooks for supplies too. I like AKL too, so I like all your choices, but we prioritize transportation, and fireworks, so I like Poly or BLT better. (fWIW I would only stay at Jambo, kidini annoys me that I can’t get real food there since the QS restaurant is at Jambo... or at least plan Accordingly at kidani. The pool at kidani is better than Jambo tho! The only two resorts I don’t care for are key west and boardwalk, but I never stayed at Saratoga.
    Funny, we prefer Kidani over Jambo because of the pool area and the quieter vibe. We don't eat a lot of quick service at the resort though.

We prefer Jambo too, in part due to the Value rooms, and that many of the Standard rooms still have a partial-Savanna view. But we have gone over to Kidani to use the pool multiple times since we like it better (and we have gone over for Sanaa)... its nice that you can use the pools at either, so that part hasn't been a big deal.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

If you have a lot of time at MK on your schedule, I'd 100% pick BLT. If you are planning on hanging at your resort more and enjoying the amenities, I'd chose AKL. Bread service every day? Yes please :)
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/dreambuildertricia

Thanks guys, I appreicate all the advice, and it makes me feel better if we are unable to get BCV. We are going in Oct, during food and wine and over columbus day, so it is a popular time, we are going to try and wait list it but I like to havea back up plan as well. And I forgot about BLT having the smaller rooms, that puts it further down on my list, plus out of 6 Disney park days only two will be at MK, then 2 at EP, 1 at AK and 1 at DHS. Wilderness lodge is one I forgot about, I should look further into that, thanks for the suggestion.

Right now, I am thinking of doing Poly if we can get it, if not wait list both BCV and Poly hoping either one comes through. Probably go to AKL Kidani if we can't get either of those, we spend a lot of time at the pool, and that one looks good. Plus I'm a little nervous of all of us in the BLT studio for 8 days.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreicate all the advice, and it makes me feel better if we are unable to get BCV. We are going in Oct, during food and wine and over columbus day, so it is a popular time, we are going to try and wait list it but I like to havea back up plan as well. And I forgot about BLT having the smaller rooms, that puts it further down on my list, plus out of 6 Disney park days only two will be at MK, then 2 at EP, 1 at AK and 1 at DHS. Wilderness lodge is one I forgot about, I should look further into that, thanks for the suggestion.

Right now, I am thinking of doing Poly if we can get it, if not wait list both BCV and Poly hoping either one comes through. Probably go to AKL Kidani if we can't get either of those, we spend a lot of time at the pool, and that one looks good. Plus I'm a little nervous of all of us in the BLT studio for 8 days.
    It's too bad we aren't going the same week. We have BCV booked for Thanksgiving week but are hoping to move to BLT or VGF. I like BLT because of the easy walk to MK and because it's the first stop on the monorail on way back from MK. You can sometimes manage to get a partial theme park view in both standard and lake view categories (so far my request has been granted 3/3 times). I actually preferred the view from our lake view room to the view from our Theme park room. Watching fireworks from the room is one of my kids' favorite things to do so that puts BLT higher on our list. I wouldn't let the size of the BLT studio be a huge deterrent. We just spent 4 nights in a studio with 4 adult women and it was fine. The same group stayed in a studio at VGF the year before and it honestly didn't feel that different. Only once at VGF did we actually have 2 people in the shower at the same time and truly take advantage of the split bath. I agree the separate bay for the kitchenette at BLT was really nice and it acted as our second bathroom. One person could do hair and makeup there while a second showered. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in a studio at BLT with my nuclear family of 2 adults and 2 kids.

We love the theme at Poly. It feels the most relaxing to me. Plus we enjoyed the walk to TTC for the Epcot monorail. And only 2 stops on the monorail to MK and an easy boat ride back from MK.

BLT and Poly also have the nostalgia factor for me as they were the only 2 resorts when I was a kid.

Maybe the Poly.but be sure to waitlist for BCV, especially if you're going in September. There may be one opening. I currently have the BCV for 8 days in September, but I'm hoping to give up 4 of those days at 7 months if I can get the Poly or VGF, so I can do a split stay. That way I can do MK and AK from my MK resort, and do Epcot and DHS from the Epcot resort.

An additional thought,not sure about it though. there might be more availability that opens up last minute for any/all of these resorts, the day that booking opens for Riviera. The day that copper creek opened I had a key west reservation, which I booked kind of last minute, but it was all that was avail, except Saratoga. So I was online exactly at the right time hoping to switch to copper creek, I failed at that, but a few minutes later there was avail at many other resorts (people canceled so that they could use their points at copper creek instead), so I ended up switching resorts.
    Anyone else think availablity might open up when booking opens for riviera?

All good points. Thanks everyone. Going to keep our options open, and an open mind, because no matter where we end up we are still in Disney.
    Cindy