Thread: SOG or POP?! Help!

SOG or POP?! Help!

Military family.

I'm having a really hard time deciding between Shades of Green or POP. 3 adults 2 kids ages 6 & 1. Going 2nd week in September. Driving, so will have to pay for parking.

SOG for us $938 add $63 for parking
    POP preferred room is $1022 add $77 for parking

They also added in middle dining plan for $1787 for the 4 paying people.

I like the thought of magic bands and driving to the parks if need be but not paying $25. But I've never stayed on property and have only been to Disney once so I have no clue what would be better for our family.

Please tell me pros and cons if you've stayed at both!

Are the prices more similar if staying in a standard room at Pop? Iíve never stayed at SOG, and Iím a big fan of Pop. However, the rooms at Pop are pretty small. Iíd be hesitant to stay there with five people in my party if I plan to spend any time in the room during the day.
    Brandi

Iíve only looked into Shades of Greenó never stayed there. And Iíve never stayed at POP. Lol...
    But, I believe the SoG rooms are quite a bit bigger and have a sofa bed in addition to the two queens. If you have three adults in a room, I would totally do SoG. You can walk across the road to get to the Poly. Everything I read about SoG described it as comparable to deluxe.

https://yourfirstvisit.net/2015/03/2...isney-world-2/

Dave has some info on his site, but some is outdated. I am pretty sure SoG has 60 day FP as of a year ago.

Yes, SoG does have 60 day FP now.

They also have buffet meals included with some pkgs (possibly breakfast is always included?).
    I think SoG would be more comfortable with the larger room and a significant amount cheaper when all costs are considered.

The resort isn't blatantly Disney like Pop feels but you could just bring your Disney plushies, kid clothes etc to bring that into your room right :D
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA

We have no experience with SOG, but we stayed at Pop in October. It was just me and DS20 and the room was fine for the two of us. I cannot imagine, however, fitting 3 more people in there no matter how small 2 of them are. With the table bed down there is virtually no floor space. The space between the beds and the space between the ends of the beds and the dresser are very narrow. If the SOG rooms are bigger, I would definitely go that way without hesitation.
    Jen

At 480 Square feet Shades of Green's rooms are among the roomiest to be found on the entire Walt Disney World Resort. Guest amenities in Shades of Green's oversized, standard guest rooms include two queen size beds and a single sleeper sofa.

Rooms at the Pop Century are consistent with Disney's other value resorts. A typcial room is 260 square feet with either two double beds or one king bed. Preferred rooms are located closer to Classic Hall and are available for an additional charge.

That's a huge difference^ Last year my husband and I stayed 1 wk at AKL which is midway at 344sf. First 4 nites my SIL stayed with us, last 4 our 16yo son stayed with us. The nite in the middle of our trip overlapped with all 4 of us staying and we were very thankful it was just that one nite, lol. It's doable but you really feel on top of each other, worse if there's a lot of baggage and/or untidiness. Enjoying extra room would immensely help. Plus if SoG has some food included for you, that could become quite a savings. Being more subdued may be considered a plus too with helping the children relax when not in the over-stimulating parks.
    Jan-Feb '05 ASM, Jan-Feb '06 Pop, Jan-Feb '15 CBR, April '16 AoA, Aug-Sept '16 CSR, Oct-Nov '16 PORr, Feb 1-5 '17 PORr, WMHS Band April 6-13 '18 AKL, Mar 5-10 '19 AoA

Rooms at the Pop Century are consistent with Disney's other value resorts. A typcial room is 260 square feet with either two double beds or one king bed. Preferred rooms are located closer to Classic Hall and are available for an additional charge.
    Since they refurbished Pop last year the rooms have 2 queen beds. One is permanent, one is a murphy-type pull down which does away with the table when it is down so you can never have both beds and the table. It is still 260 sq. ft. It would be very, very cramped with 5 people.

I stayed in a value once with all 3 of my kids who were 14, 16 and 18 at the time. With four of us, it felt very tight.
    Jen

We’ve stayed in a refurbished room with the Murphy bed. There are a lot of improvements with storage, but they’re still really tight.
    Brandi

I like the thought of magic bands and driving to the parks if need be but not paying $25.

^Those parking fees really add up! SoG does offer free buses to WDW parks and you're allowed to use all other free WDW transport once there but yeah, if you have your own car it'd be great having the freedom to use it :D If anybody in your party has a MB from previous trip, it should work for that person. At $16ea (ouch!), maybe just buy for the 6yo?

That extra space at SoG is hard to pass up tho, especially if your party spends any time in the room other than sleeping.

Hope another poster comes along with experience at both SoG and Pop to offer details about logistics, atmosphere, and any other important considerations.

To me, it's your 6y.o. that's the x factor. SoG does not feel like Disney, whereas POP does. So maybe it depends on how often you plan to visit WDW. If it's something you might do, say every other year, then your kids will get plenty of Disney feels in their youth and I'd say, enjoy the bigger space (and cheaper cost) at SoG. If less frequest visits, I can se the draw to Pop.

What about compromise and do a split stay? We've done a split and worked out great. You'll get to experience both AND at a lesser price hike.
    If you do, I would say to stay at Pop first because it's better to go from smaller rooms to bigger.
    Oct 2017 POLY (first time with Family)
    Aug 2018 Pop/YC (split stay)
    Aug 2019 YC

Military family:

We had a charming experience at Pop for one night with 2 preschoolers before the refurb. It is very well done. But room size would be too tight for us for a longer trip.

Since then we have stayed at SOG for 4 nights and had a wonderful experience. Itís on a peaceful golf course (Disneyís) but a 7 min walk to the Polynesian monorail. We took the SOG buses to the parks and found them efficient. We enjoyed the pools, sports bar and breakfast buffet as well as the gym, $1 laundry and the exchange. 60 day FP+ but you have to purchase magic bands if you want them. SOG is like a deluxe hotel minus the markup. Strongly recommend. TripAdvisor reviews are helpful.

Have a wonderful trip wherever you stay.

SOG has only one Disney feature a Mickey Mouse statue. But everything is tax free (Tax is 6.5%, Room tax is 12.5%) including the room, food and tickets. But the rooms are very large. At POP with my Family of 3, we didn't have much room but outside is magical for the child (including me).

If you are active or retired military the ticket prices are almost 50% which no one can match. I'm not a fan of the free meal since you have to purchase the hopper. Also if you wait, and SOG is full they will find you Disney hotel room at a discount 15% value, moderate 20%, etc. However you may have to pay for a discounted deluxe depending on how full Disney is. But September is a low crowd month.
    Last edited by rich2603; 01-24-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Red face

I cannot imagine being happy with 5 people in a room at POP for an entire week. The rooms are very nice, but they are very small. SOG is also in a great location and with your children ages, Iím imagining youíll spend a good deal of time at MK. Have you considered a split stay? Stay one night at POP, get the magic bands and experience of a Disney Resort but not spend your whole vacation in very tight quarters? Also, check back and see if any other rooms have opened up for the Miliatry discount, you would probably be very happy at a moderate. Have a great trip and thank you for your service!
    Jen

Dream Builders Travel

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeather View Post
    At 480 Square feet Shades of Green's rooms ....

... typcial room is 260 square feet
    This is all the information I would need.
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitterô