Thread: Slinky Dog FastPass tips/tricks?

Slinky Dog FastPass tips/tricks?

Obviously, I didn't get one for my March trip, even at 60+2 days out for a party of 4. My question is, any other tips or tricks for getting one? Check MDE everyday? Constant refresh? Anyone else similar get one closer to their trip? Of course, we will probably RD Slinky then and then get in line at the end of the night to ride twice. Thanks!

near Cleveland OH (but out in the country)
    keep checking (of course) and try smaller groups with overlapping windows.

yup the above advice is correct. I based out last trip's park days based on the day I managed a FP for slinky. That plan wont work for everyone, but it made sense for us. I managed one for 3 people at about 50 days, so don't give up hope!

Disney at least as of a month or so ago was putting extra Toy Story Land FP+ into the system at 12:01 pm and 2:31 pm each day. Sometimes SDD is included; sometimes not. This obviously could change any time, and you shouldn't make any plans based on it. But if you are in the park, be sure to be looking for FP+ at those times.

Edited to add: this is something you could be testing in the prior days, no matter where you are.

We got them for the end of our last trip. We rode at RD another day before that, and it wasn’t to bad. It was during Thanksgiving week, so it was a little nuts in general.
    Brandi

RD slinky was the worst WDW experience we've ever experienced. scary

he's right
    Years ago, back when Soarin' was the Rope Drop Horror Experience, I decided life was just too short. Now, if a park has One Big Thing that everyone wants to do first thing in the morning, I go the other way---even if I don't have FP+ for it. I'd rather not experience it than go through that.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof8 View Post
    RD slinky was the worst WDW experience we've ever experienced. scary
    It's pretty bad, especially when you make the turn into TS Land. And the way they have the line set up, to the right of the umbrellas, with no ropes, is pretty stupid, as it allows for running past the actual line and cutting in as the line is forming.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

That sounds like an awful experience. We rope dropped RnR (before TSL) and that was bad enough. I think end of the night would be the way to go for me.

As for looking for FP... Omahawk, just keep checking. It takes some luck, but persistence helps. We had to change our park days for our spring break trip last year, so I had to give up our FoP FPs. I kept checking for two on our new AK day. (We needed four.) I managed to get two sets of two for the day I needed. The windows did not overlap. The grace periods were 10-15 minutes apart. We were absolutely okay splitting up, but I politely asked the CM and she let us go together.
    The FPs will pop up when you least expect them. I was always afraid of accidentally refreshing as I realized I had found some. I would check whenever I had a spare minute. Not obsessively, but definitely throughout the day. I know for sure I found one pair first thing when I woke up one morning. My sonís group of friends ended up expanding by one and I added a FP for FoP for his friend the day before. Itís a little like winning the lotto. Stupidly exciting. Ha!

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    And the way they have the line set up, to the right of the umbrellas, with no ropes, is pretty stupid, as it allows for running past the actual line and cutting in as the line is forming.
    To me, this is the worst part. It totally penalizes 1) rule followers and 2) people who have done it before. If you are a rule-breaker, you just run up on the left side of those umbrellas and cut in at the last moment. If you're a first-timer, just following the masses, you might naturally veer left and end up on the wrong (left) side of the umbrellas and then cut in at the last moment. A system to funnel people into line (kind of like the very unpleasant "stretching room to omnimover queue" funnel at Haunted Mansion) would be simple to implement, and while it would still be unpleasant, it would be better than what they have now and definitely more fair.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Every time I go to WDW, I think it will be my last time for a long time. So we RD every day. Most days, we are belly up. I am a rule follower. I am short. People run past me. It is always crazy and unfair. But I can't seem to let it go and "zag" while the others are "zigging".

I'll have to research the umbrellas. Where exactly are they?

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
    Every time I go to WDW, I think it will be my last time for a long time. So we RD every day. Most days, we are belly up. I am a rule follower. I am short. People run past me. It is always crazy and unfair. But I can't seem to let it go and "zag" while the others are "zigging".

I'll have to research the umbrellas. Where exactly are they?
    The umbrellas are parallel to the fence to your right, just as you pass the TS Land sign/entrance and swing right, toward SDD. They are intended to form the beginning of the SDD queue.

It was down right dangerous. We were one of the first people in the park and I was at the front with my family of seven. The family next to me had about six people and they locked elbows strongly and became a wall. I thought it was silly at first but when I lost my whole family, I understood why. I could have stayed fairly close to front of line with constant effort, elbows, being stepped on, etc. When I got to the ride I ended up stepping aside and waiting for all my family to eventually arrive. If I had younger children, I can't even imagine how scary it would've been. My 12yo and 21yo fortunately stayed together. Terrifying. There has got to be better way, maybe letting people in line closer to ride as they enter the park.

that's a shame
    It was down right dangerous. We were one of the first people in the park and I was at the front with my family of seven. The family next to me had about six people and they locked elbows strongly and became a wall. I thought it was silly at first but when I lost my whole family, I understood why. I could have stayed fairly close to front of line with constant effort, elbows, being stepped on, etc. When I got to the ride I ended up stepping aside and waiting for all my family to eventually arrive. If I had younger children, I can't even imagine how scary it would've been. My 12yo and 21yo fortunately stayed together. Terrifying. There has got to be better way, maybe letting people in line closer to ride as they enter the park.
    I've seen the arm locking. Not smart. One goes down and they take a few more with them.

I really think they should just let people trickle in and go back to the rides the want to go to. I really do not understand the logic of the internal rope drops.
    Brandi

... There has got to be better way...
    Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    I really think they should just let people trickle in and go back to the rides they want to go to. I really do not understand the logic of the internal rope drops.
    This is the better way... I wish they would just go back to what they used to do at most parks 3 or 4 years ago... and let the entrance to the park be the bottleneck, and then not have the crush of people inside the park.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 DRR/AKV

Great advice thanks! Right now, I usually try to "modify" the Toy Story Mania one I have right now, is that the best way? Just "modify" that existing FP+ and hope SDD comes up as "pick another experience?" Or just cancel the existing TSM and start over? Probably 6 and 1/2 dozen another but thought I'd check. I'll start checking at 12:01 EST and 2:31 EST as well thanks!

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawk View Post
    Great advice thanks! Right now, I usually try to "modify" the Toy Story Mania one I have right now, is that the best way? Just "modify" that existing FP+ and hope SDD comes up as "pick another experience?" Or just cancel the existing TSM and start over? Probably 6 and 1/2 dozen another but thought I'd check. I'll start checking at 12:01 EST and 2:31 EST as well thanks!
    Modify, don't cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Modify, don't cancel.
    Great thanks. I also have 2 'anytime/multiple' experiences to use, although SDD isn't an option. That said, this shouldn't interfere with my other 3 scheduled FP+s unless I scan for one of these during my orig FP schedule correct? Also, I should be to schedule my 4th, 5th, etc regardless of timing on those anytime ones, does that make sense?

That's correct, the "anytime" FP+ shouldn't affect availability of other FP+ in any way. The one thing to be aware of is that if you were going to use the grace period for one of your other FP+ (5 minutes before window opens, 15 minutes after window closes), it may take your anytime FP+ instead of the one for that attraction when outside the window listed for that FP+.

Quote Originally Posted by hizouse View Post
    That's correct, the "anytime" FP+ shouldn't affect availability of other FP+ in any way. The one thing to be aware of is that if you were going to use the grace period for one of your other FP+ (5 minutes before window opens, 15 minutes after window closes), it may take your anytime FP+ instead of the one for that attraction when outside the window listed for that FP+.
    Thanks! One other quick question. I know this probably shouldn't matter, but noticed a thread on another board that mentioned something about double dipping with your scheduled FP+ and anytime FP experience, something about not being able to use then at the same Tier in the parks? Not sure why this would be, you can schedule your normal FP+ and then get subsequent 4th, 5th and 6th, etc, for the same ride/Tier so perhaps I misunderstood what they were saying...carry on!

I don't know about "double dipping"; all I can say is that different anytime FPs have different conditions, which are usually stated on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Years ago, back when Soarin' was the Rope Drop Horror Experience, I decided life was just too short. Now, if a park has One Big Thing that everyone wants to do first thing in the morning, I go the other way---even if I don't have FP+ for it. I'd rather not experience it than go through that.
    Haha this was us on our last trip. We RD at HS and met Daisy, Donald, Chewy, BB8 and Chip and Dale before 930. I imagined the insanity headed to TSL and was glad to not be part of it.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel