Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Arrival at MCO--DME/Uber/car service

  1. #1
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    1,913

    Arrival at MCO--DME/Uber/car service

    Looking for thoughts/input/suggestions...

    Evening/night flight, scheduled arrival time is 9:30 PM. We're flying Frontier for the first time (fingers crossed...), trying to decide how to get to WDW (POFQ) considering cost vs. convenience.

    DME--free, have to get our luggage from A luggage to B level 1 for DME pick up; concern is time, we really don't want to wait for a bus, wait in line, etc. at that time of night.

    Uber/Lyft--fare estimator says $35, plus tip. We've never used Uber/Lyft at MCO so do't know where the pick up spot is located, don't want to wait for driver to show, etc. but cost is reasonable.

    Car service--$70 plus tip; expensive, but the driver meets you inside, helps with bags, etc. Convenient but at a cost. Probably the most efficient of the three options.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Micah008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    ...DME--free, have to get our luggage from A luggage to B level 1 for DME pick up...
    Since you are arriving at 9:30pm you actually don't 'have to' get your luggage if you do DME.... they will still bring it. This would help with your convenience concerns with DME, but you would want to have everything in your carry-on for that first night. The obvious downside is they may not arrive until 1am... but if you want to go to bed soon after arriving, you can ask them to hold them until the morning.

    For me personally I would do DME one way or the other... but could see either way on how to do the bags. I love using Lyft/Uber around property in certain situations (resort to resort, etc) but to me it wouldn't be worth it for the arrival when DME is usually has been pretty good.
    Micah

    MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 DRR/AKV

  3. #3
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    Since you are arriving at 9:30pm you actually don't 'have to' get your luggage if you do DME.... they will still bring it. This would help with your convenience concerns with DME, but you would want to have everything in your carry-on for that first night. The obvious downside is they may not arrive until 1am... but if you want to go to bed soon after arriving, you can ask them to hold them until the morning.

    For me personally I would do DME one way or the other... but could see either way on how to do the bags. I love using Lyft/Uber around property in certain situations (resort to resort, etc) but to me it wouldn't be worth it for the arrival when DME is usually has been pretty good.
    We're not doing carry ons because Frontier charges too much for them.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ChristineOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Posts
    2,272
    Some people donít care for DME, but we love it.

    The main difference between hiring transportation or using DME is that you may have to stop at a couple of other resorts first, but it never really takes all that long.

    I would use DME and bring a carry on so we could get ready for bed upon arrival. I love the convenience of not hassling with bags at the airport or on the bus or at the resort.

    Considering you donít want to pay the fee for a carry on bag, Iím surprised youíre considering paying for transportation to WDW. So for you, Iíd suggest grabbing your bags from baggage claim and using DME. Simple and free.

  5. #5
    Senior Member nolarookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,338
    I’d get my bags and do DME, unless I worked all day prior to the flight. Then I might get an Uber or something. But really, it’s always a pain getting anywhere from an airport on vacation so I typically default to cheapest—as with most things, to be completely honest.
    Brandi

  6. #6
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineOH View Post
    Some people don’t care for DME, but we love it.

    The main difference between hiring transportation or using DME is that you may have to stop at a couple of other resorts first, but it never really takes all that long.

    I would use DME and bring a carry on so we could get ready for bed upon arrival. I love the convenience of not hassling with bags at the airport or on the bus or at the resort.

    Considering you don’t want to pay the fee for a carry on bag, I’m surprised you’re considering paying for transportation to WDW. So for you, I’d suggest grabbing your bags from baggage claim and using DME. Simple and free.
    Stop making sense.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ChristineOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Stop making sense.
    :-D

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Over There..
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Looking for thoughts/input/suggestions...

    Evening/night flight, scheduled arrival time is 9:30 PM. We're flying Frontier for the first time (fingers crossed...), trying to decide how to get to WDW (POFQ) considering cost vs. convenience.

    DME--free, have to get our luggage from A luggage to B level 1 for DME pick up; concern is time, we really don't want to wait for a bus, wait in line, etc. at that time of night.

    Uber/Lyft--fare estimator says $35, plus tip. We've never used Uber/Lyft at MCO so do't know where the pick up spot is located, don't want to wait for driver to show, etc. but cost is reasonable.

    Car service--$70 plus tip; expensive, but the driver meets you inside, helps with bags, etc. Convenient but at a cost. Probably the most efficient of the three options.
    https://www.uber.com/airports/mco/

    We did Uber last trip in both directions. It was very easy. Didn't have to wait. Didn't have to go to any other resorts. As you mentioned it's around $35 each way. Way cheaper than our old choice of transportation. Used Amazon Prime Now for groceries.
    We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

  9. #9
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    https://www.uber.com/airports/mco/

    We did Uber last trip in both directions. It was very easy. Didn't have to wait. Didn't have to go to any other resorts. As you mentioned it's around $35 each way. Way cheaper than our old choice of transportation. Used Amazon Prime Now for groceries.
    Thanks for the link!
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

  10. #10
    Senior Member beachta1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,268
    I took Lyft to / from MCO to WL in September. I found it to be cheaper than Uber at least in Orlando!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel


  11. #11
    Senior Member momof2boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    1,041
    If you choose to use DME, I would grab your bags, unless you don't mind a knock very late/early in the am.

  12. #12
    We recently arrived at MCO after 9pm - after what I thought was a longer wait than should have been for our luggage at baggage claim we walked over to the DME counter and had no wait to get on a bus (no lines at all!) and didn't wait more than a few minutes once we were seated on the bus. No idea how long the people who were already on the bus had been waiting. We were the 2nd stop but it didn't feel like "what the heck! we are NEVER GOING TO GET TO OUR ROOM" - I got the text our room was ready when I turned my phone off airplane mode once we landed so maybe Lyft/Uber might have been a little quicker but probably not enough to justify the cost in my situation. If we had been exhausted with a long travel day my opinion might be different but we had a 2-ish hour flight so not bad even that late in the evening. Once we got our luggage it was pretty quick from the airport to our room. No idea what the issue was but man it felt like our bags appeared much later than normal (I fly to Orlando a couple times a year - each visit to baggage claim feels like it takes longer and longer and lonnnnnngggggeerrrrrrr)

    DH travels a LOT for work and has never had a late/absent Lyft driver. FWIW.

    I think if you only have carry on luggage a car service makes the most sense if your biggest concern is saving time. If you have to deal with baggage claim I'd either go with Lyft/Uber or DME because I feel like baggage claim is a time suck no matter what transportation option you choose.

    Just wanted to share our experience.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    654
    Last week we arrived at MCO at 6:45pm. Seems we got on bus at 7:15 with no wait but then sat on bus 30 long mins. There were two stops before we were delivered to CBR. We arrived at CBR close to 8:30. Our luggage came before 10ish.

  14. #14
    that's a shame
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly burbs
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof8 View Post
    Last week we arrived at MCO at 6:45pm. Seems we got on bus at 7:15 with no wait but then sat on bus 30 long mins. There were two stops before we were delivered to CBR. We arrived at CBR close to 8:30. Our luggage came before 10ish.
    That would drive me nuts.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

  15. #15
    Senior Member mgarbowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof8 View Post
    Last week we arrived at MCO at 6:45pm. Seems we got on bus at 7:15 with no wait but then sat on bus 30 long mins. There were two stops before we were delivered to CBR. We arrived at CBR close to 8:30. Our luggage came before 10ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    That would drive me nuts.
    Isn't that pretty much the norm though? I always figured the wait for DME is going to be 20-30 minutes depending on time of day and amount of arriving guests. How that is split between waiting to board the bus and waiting for the bus to leave is secondary. It's going to take that long regardless.
    Last edited by mgarbowski; 01-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

  16. #16
    he's right
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The People's Republic of Ann Arbor
    Posts
    6,368
    I bring a book for just these emergencies. (My vacations are in part to catch up on reading, so...)

  17. #17
    Senior Member CJG17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    658
    We love DME, even late at night. I asked them to hold my bags until morning so they didn't wake us up, worked great! (I use Lyft frequently on property, resort to resort, or when I'm really in a hurry!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Isn't that pretty much the norm though? I always figured the wait for DME is going to be 20-30 minutes depending on time of day and amount of arriving guests. How that is split between waiting to board the bus and waiting for the bus to leave is secondary. It's going to take that long regardless.
    Yes, 30 min is normal
    The goal for ME is for the bus to depart either 30 min after the first guests gets on or when it's full, whichever comes first. So 30 min on the bus is totally normal

  19. #19
    prefers quisp over quake tiggr88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    395
    Where is the pickup for Uber/Lyft at the airport? I've found the Uber/Lyft process to vary by airport. At LAX I think they sent us to a separate specified location, but I can't recall for sure. Perhaps even on the arrivals level? Just curious how it works at MCO.

    For MCO, I've used car service for the convenience and the grocery stop. We may not need the grocery stop this time and had an interesting change in the pickup procedure for Tiffany Towncar last time. In the past, we were met at the luggage area by the driver who would help us get our luggage. We would then proceed up or down a flight ( I forget which) and then to an exit directly to a separate service road where the car was parked. We never had to walk outside and it always seemed a calmer process. In October, we were met by representatives from Tiffany at the bottom of the escalator in baggage claim as usual, but they were not the driver. They helped get our luggage and then walked us outside to where the driver and car were, although I think they had to drive up. The process seemed too similar to what I could do myself with Uber/Lyft, outside of possibly waiting a few minutes more.



    Thanks!
    Oct 89 QS, Sep '98 Poly Concierge, Jan '01 ASMu, Oct '01 HI Family Suites, Oct '03 HIFS, Oct '03 Portofino Bay (anniversary trip), Dec '04 POFQ, Oct '05 ASMu, Oct '06 ASMu, Nov '07 Magic cruise, Nov '08 ASMu (family reunion), Dec '08 BCV/BC (20th anniversary trip w/o kids), Aug '10 HRH, Sept/Oct '11

  20. #20
    Senior Member ceb104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    oHIo
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by CJG17 View Post
    We love DME, even late at night. I asked them to hold my bags until morning so they didn't wake us up, worked great! (I use Lyft frequently on property, resort to resort, or when I'm really in a hurry!
    Whom do you ask for this? Bell Services or ME or the front desk? And were you able to specify a time or just called down in the morning?
    We land at 9pm - I'm guessing we won't make it to the hotel until 10:30pm and the kids will be exhausted and I don't really want to deal with a knock on the door later than that...
    There is a great and lasting truth about the family of man. A truth which separates us from all the other creatures of the Earth. We can dream.
    ~Tapestry of Nations~

  21. #21
    the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    5,255
    Honestly, when we've faced that situation we've just decided to get the bags ourselves. That way we've got what we need for bedtime and don't have to worry about a late-night wakeup.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Over There..
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggr88 View Post
    Where is the pickup for Uber/Lyft at the airport? I've found the Uber/Lyft process to vary by airport. At LAX I think they sent us to a separate specified location, but I can't recall for sure. Perhaps even on the arrivals level? Just curious how it works at MCO.

    For MCO, I've used car service for the convenience and the grocery stop. We may not need the grocery stop this time and had an interesting change in the pickup procedure for Tiffany Towncar last time. In the past, we were met at the luggage area by the driver who would help us get our luggage. We would then proceed up or down a flight ( I forget which) and then to an exit directly to a separate service road where the car was parked. We never had to walk outside and it always seemed a calmer process. In October, we were met by representatives from Tiffany at the bottom of the escalator in baggage claim as usual, but they were not the driver. They helped get our luggage and then walked us outside to where the driver and car were, although I think they had to drive up. The process seemed too similar to what I could do myself with Uber/Lyft, outside of possibly waiting a few minutes more.



    Thanks!
    https://www.uber.com/airports/mco/

    We also used to employ a car service with a grocery stop. Now we use Uber and Amazon Prime Now for our groceries.
    We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggr88 View Post
    Where is the pickup for Uber/Lyft at the airport? I've found the Uber/Lyft process to vary by airport. At LAX I think they sent us to a separate specified location, but I can't recall for sure. Perhaps even on the arrivals level? Just curious how it works at MCO.
    Thanks!
    Right outside the baggage claim doors. When you go to request a car it will ask you for a door number. Look up, find the number nearest you and select that.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb104 View Post
    Whom do you ask for this? Bell Services or ME or the front desk? And were you able to specify a time or just called down in the morning?
    We land at 9pm - I'm guessing we won't make it to the hotel until 10:30pm and the kids will be exhausted and I don't really want to deal with a knock on the door later than that...
    Pick up the phone in your room, dial the bell services number. Tell whoever answers the phone
    Call in the morning when you are ready for them to bring the bags

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •