Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "How can we be 40? We just graduated from High School!" Trip Report

It looks and sounds like such a fun trip! Thanks for taking us along.
    Jen

Just getting caught up. Sounds like you had a couple great days! Love Kona and the Polynesian. Can't wait to hear about your party night.

Nov 13 - Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!

After monorail-ing from the Poly to MK (it sure is nice to go through security at the resort instead of the park), we went to wait at the Event tapstiles (on the right side of the entrance). There were some long lines already, but we found a short one all the way on the left side. I think we were in that line by 3:40 and at 3:46, they let us in!!! (14 minutes ahead of schedule!) We got our wrist-bands and were funneled into the special party entrance corridor (though I asked and we could have gone up Main Street if we wanted). We got our Mickey sugar cookies and took some photos.

While it had seemed at the Halloween party that we were funneled all the way to Tomorrowland, the party area actually ended by Tomorrowland Terrace and we easily went to the hub to enjoy the beautiful castle.

Our first stop was Liberty Square because there were some thing there that we wanted to do that would not be going during the party. BFF loves the Hall of Presidents though I will not see it anymore, at least not until the next revision. She made it to the 4pm showing, and I had just enough time to do some shopping in the Christmas store before the 4:15 Muppets Present. As a Jewish Atheist, I don't do a Christmas tree, but the Disney ornaments are so beautiful and creative (especially the princesses-as-shoes ones) that I bought an ornament tree and I needed to buy my first ornaments! I got the shoes for Belle, Ariel, and Mary Poppins, as well as a 2018 all-parks design silver ornament. I'm looking forward to getting more on each trip!

I left the store just as the Muppets were starting. It was the Declaration show (my favorite, of the 2) and even though I've seen it a few times now, I still choke-up when we all say "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

I had a FP for Peter Pan (I had thought that BFF couldn't ride because they would not stop the track for her to get on and off, though I saw them do just that for someone else as I was waiting, so maybe we'll try it next time) and hadn't gotten to ride it in a few trips so that was nice. Then we met up to use our SDMT FP.

My turn for my hair to fly up, lol.

The last non-party attraction we wanted to do was Carousel of Progress so we went over to Tomorrowland for that. We were really ahead of schedule at this point but the next thing on the list was down (Space Mountain). Since we were in the area, we checked out Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, which I don't think she had seen before. A cute show, as always.

When we got out, Space was back up so we headed over there. We had learned in August that BFF would always be sent through the FP queue (because standby has stairs). She does have to transfer to a wheelchair though, which I have to push (it's a bit of a workout going under the tracks). This is her absolute favorite ride but I can't stand it (!). So after helping her get into the vehicle, I just took the wheelchair to the unloading platform to wait for her.

Looks like she had fun.

Once we were out, the party was in full-swing so we decided to do a little cookie-tour. First stop was Lunching Pad which had Snickerdoodles (more like slightly-brown sugar cookies) and Hot Cocoa (standard, but not bad). Next was Auntie Gravity's which had Chocolate-Chip Cookies and Snow Cones (more like an ice-ball sitting in blue syrup, we did not finish these). Then up to Pete's Silly Sideshow for Peppermint Crunch cookies (probably the best of the party). We had just enough time to grab our Dove Chocolates and "Apple Cider" (apple juice) before finding a spot to watch the 8:15 castle-lighting.

We managed to slip into the area along the path between Tomorrowland and the Hub and had a pretty good view of the castle. I had seen this show once before but it was BFF's first time. The show itself is ok, but when the lights turn on it's totally magical.

Unless you or someone in your party really NEEDS to see Anna and Elsa up close, I would definitely recommend seeing this from the back of the hub, where you can see the full scope of the castle and the side turrets. When the castle is lit up, it is truly breath-taking.

We tried to get into the wheelchair-area in the center of the hub to watch the parade but that was already full. A CM directed us to another area in front of the Firehouse in Town Square. That was also filling-up but we happened into a "front row" spot right across from it, in front of the Barber Shop. It was a great spot, not crowded at all, and had a great view of the parade (though there was a rude guy right next to us who was livestreaming and sticking his arm/camera in front of BFF's view most of the time, ugh). Because we were at the end of the parade route, we had a bit of a wait. But there was a group of "elves" that came out and danced and played with big beach balls that helped pass the time. By the time the first floats came by, it was almost 9pm. Here are some of my favorite shots from the parade:

Not a great pic, but look at that horse!

I felt so bad for these guys. It was pretty warm, and they were in heavy sweaters, and had been skating for a half an hour already.

Cinderella's horse-drawn carriage, amazing!

I loved this float that looks like Cinderella's castle.

I couldn't believe that these toy soldiers are actually playing those horns.

After the parade, it was time to head back up Main Street to watch the castle show and then the fireworks.

We found the accessible fireworks viewing area (which was fantastic, btw) and BFF stayed there while I went to get some hot dogs from Casey's Corner. They were pretty busy and mobile ordering was not available. Since I had ordered the vegan dog, the order took quite a while. I actually missed the whole stage show. (a kind CM gave me a free sweater brownie to make up for the long wait) I re-joined BFF and we ate our hot dogs and waited for the fireworks. The vegan dog was quite good, though a little spicy for my taste. I am thrilled that Disney World has been adding more of these options though, so I'm not just left with salads and french fries. (I eat fish but no meat)

The fireworks were amazing, of course. And we had a great view.

Even though there was over an hour left to the party (and we hadn't gotten all of the treats, and there were more rides to ride), we decided that we were done. It had been a long couple of days, and we were going to have to be on the DME bus at 6:30 the next morning, and we were worried about how long the line for the bus to get back to Pop would be when everyone was leaving. We said our final goodbyes to the Happiest Place on Earth and headed out.

Last edited by lovett1979; 01-25-2019 at 04:31 PM.
    Nov 2019-W&D 10K (Pop); Aug 2019-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Feb 2019-Festival of the Arts (POFQ); Nov 2018-40th Birthday Trip (Pop); Aug 2018-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil), Nov 2017-Wine & Dine 5K (Pop), Aug 2017-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); May 2017-Tinkerbell 10K (Disneyland); Novr 2016-Wine & Dine 10K (POFQ); Aug 2016-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Nov 2015-1st Solo Trip (All-Star Movies); Aug 2015-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Aug 2014-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil)

Nov 14 - Heading Home

The 6:30 DME for a 9:57 flight was painful but we made it.

Pop's tree had been put up overnight.

Of course, there is no traffic at that hour so we were at the airport with hours to kill. We got breakfast at the food court and then went through security. MCO's TSA was much more thorough with BFF's ECV than JFK's (can I get any more capital letter groups in that sentence?). The checked every inch and even made her stand up to look under her.

But eventually we were on our way to the gate and the flight was uneventful. NYC was VERY COLD when we returned. We took a cab from the airport to BFF's apartment in Manhattan and almost froze our fingers off putting the ECV back together when we got there. I hung out for a few hours and got to give 2 of her boys their souvenirs. Then I headed home.

It was a really wonderful trip. We did almost everything we wanted to do, but also was able to take it easy most of the time. This is a great time of year for a trip (good weather, F&W, Christmas) and it was so much fun getting to enjoy it with my best friend.

Sorry this TR took so long to complete. I tend to write while I'm at work, and there just haven't been enough slow days. I leave for my next trip in a week, if you can believe it! Hopefully that report won't take 2.5 months to finish.
    Nov 2019-W&D 10K (Pop); Aug 2019-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Feb 2019-Festival of the Arts (POFQ); Nov 2018-40th Birthday Trip (Pop); Aug 2018-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil), Nov 2017-Wine & Dine 5K (Pop), Aug 2017-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); May 2017-Tinkerbell 10K (Disneyland); Novr 2016-Wine & Dine 10K (POFQ); Aug 2016-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Nov 2015-1st Solo Trip (All-Star Movies); Aug 2015-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Aug 2014-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil)

Glad you were able to finish this report - I enjoyed reading it! And I hope you have a wonderful time on your next trip!

Quote Originally Posted by lovett1979 View Post
    Sorry this TR took so long to complete. I tend to write while I'm at work, and there just haven't been enough slow days. I leave for my next trip in a week, if you can believe it! Hopefully that report won't take 2.5 months to finish.
    At least you got your report done before your next trip, that's better than I can manage ;-)

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to hear about the next one!