Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Very Merry Wine and Dine Half Marathon Trip: November 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I had been telling my kids it was 12, and then a coworker said they were going to take their 10 year old and I looked and low and behold it is 8. Did it used to be a higher age or has it always been 8 and my memory is poor???
    Just caught this. I really do think it used to be older than 8 and at least 12. Let's go with the fact that they changed it and not that we are both going crazy. :)

Oh and Miss Anne you have inspired me. Just signed up for the Star Wars 10k in April. I wanted to do the half but DH talked me out of it. Since he is generally being supportive about the whole thing I thought I would do what he thought.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    Just caught this. I really do think it used to be older than 8 and at least 12. Let's go with the fact that they changed it and not that we are both going crazy. :)

Oh and Miss Anne you have inspired me. Just signed up for the Star Wars 10k in April. I wanted to do the half but DH talked me out of it. Since he is generally being supportive about the whole thing I thought I would do what he thought.
    I agree, it can't possibly be us both going crazy ;-)

So excited for you!!!! I look forward to hearing all about the race if you have time to post a trip report. I've done three of the four race weekends that they are currently offering so I'm excited to hear about the one I haven't done. I'd love to do that one this year but can't really justify a trip right before our Spring Break. Are you doing a quick trip on your own or going with the whole family?

Saturday November 3
    This was primarily a work day so not as much Disney to discuss.
    Lows: Transportation
    Highs: The Parisian Afternoon at Monsieur Paul’s and of course the arrival of my family.

Transportation
    The following is a section to skip if you don’t like negativity.

I needed to be at the Orange County Convention Center early for my conference. The 10 K was that morning and the race route included a small stretch on World Drive, the only option on the map for getting off Disney property from the Grand Floridian. I stopped at the front desk on Friday to ask how this might impact my morning drive. I showed the CM the map of the race route (because she didn’t have a copy of the race guide or any information about the race). She checked with a few different people. No transportation advisories had been communicated to the front desk, managers, or valet. She said “Probably” there is only 1 side closed so it will be slower but not completely closed. Hahahahaha!

I gave myself an extra hour in the morning (I was awake early anyway). Google maps showed delays of 15 minutes along World Drive, but still said “fastest route despite delays”. I got as far as the Car Care Center and could go no further. I pulled into the Car Care Center and thankfully staff was already there. A VERY helpful Alamo employee drew in a service road on my map and directed me around the blocked region of World Drive. I can’t recall what the road name was, maybe Bear something…something rustic sounding. Several signs along the road said things like “authorized vehicles only” but there were no gaits or physical restrictions to access.

I made it to the conference with plenty of time and it was only about a 15 to 20-minute delay. I talked with someone else who was staying Club level at GF and she said she approached club staff on Friday night to ask how to get around race closures in the morning. They also didn’t have ANY information.

I said this in the Marathon trip report and I’ll repeat it here. I can’t figure out why this continues to be so poorly executed, given that Disney has been doing race weekends for 25 years! Moving large amounts of people efficiently is usually an area where Disney excels. I understand that for the race roads need to be closed and some inconvenience is inevitable. What I find less excusable is the lack of communication with guests and front-line staff.

There was a letter at check in from the hotel manager with a direct email to his staff and a request to contact them with any compliments or concerns. I have been debating sending an email. It seems like something they should be able to improve on, and yet I find it hard to believe they don’t already know there is an issue here for guests. Mostly I haven’t taken time to write an email because it’s more fun to spend my time reliving the fun parts of the trip by writing a trip report. Although I guess I’m getting some complaining time in here, but here I don’t have to be tactful so writing my complaints doesn't take as much time Also, I hate getting back those patronizing form emails that basically say “thanks for letting us know your concerns, we value your feedback, but we probably won’t do anything about it and have a magical day”. I suppose I will eventually send an email and hope for the best. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised with the response. Mostly I’m just puzzled why they haven’t already tried to improve the guest experience in this area.

The Parisian Afternoon

On to the fun part of the day! I decided to take my lunch break at Epcot and enjoy a Food and Wine Festival special event. There were some transportation “challenges” here as well but those were entirely predictable and my own fault. As I sat in the backed-up traffic to get into Epcot I wondered what in the world I had been thinking when I planned to “just pop over to Epcot” for lunch. On a Saturday. During Food and Wine Festival. On race weekend. I made it in time for the event but had to cancel my Soarin’ fast pass. No rides for me today.

The food reminded me of Afternoon Tea except with mimosas and no tea. It was delicious! Compared to my other two tea experiences this was in a whole different league. The price was, of course, higher but I don’t recall exactly how much (maybe in the $50-$60 range). Pay in full at the time of booking and non-refundable. Seating was communal depending on the size of the group. I was seated with two very nice ladies who happened to have met each other the day before at the Monsieur Paul’s Food and Wine Festival lunch. There was supposed to be a fourth but she couldn’t make it and without being asked the staff thoughtfully packaged up her meal and sent it back with her friend.

I love the napkin fold

MP-Napkin.jpg

Menu

MP-Menu.jpg
    MP-Menu2.jpg

Pre-mixed Mimosas were brought to the table

MP-Mimosa.jpg

We could also request straight champagne. Champagne and mimosas were bottomless and the others at my table opted to start with the mimosa and have their glasses refilled with champagne without any additional juice. I unfortunately had to drive and go back to work so I didn’t get to take advantage of the refills but even with limited alcohol the experience was totally worth it!

The first course was a cold cauliflower soup but I forgot to get a picture. It was delicious and I’m guessing that was because it included a liberal amount of cream. Unbelievably smooth and creamy.

The hot and cold sandwiches were plated together

MP-sandwiches.jpg

I’m having trouble coming up with superlatives that do these little guys justice, but they were all outstanding! I would give a standing ovation to the chef who made the herb croissant if I could. Light and melt-in-your-mouth. The only thing I’ve had that comes close (and still wasn’t as good) was a croissant recipe I made from a Julia Child’s cookbook. Those took me DAYS to make because of the repeated rolling, folding, chilling in order to get all the layers needed for a light instead of dense croissant.

The dessert round

MP-dessert.jpg

I ate the pot de crème and could do no more. I had the remainder packaged up to take back to my room and the kids enjoyed some later that night. Yay rental car! I could actually take leftovers! The portions don’t look huge in the photos but because the food was so rich and heavy on butter and cream it was FILLING.

During dessert there was a proposal at another table. So sweet. And they had two Photopass photographers there to catch the event for them.

I would absolutely recommend this event if you are at Epcot during Food and Wine when it is offered. The woman at my table who is local said she’s been coming for at least the last four years so it will likely be offered again next year.

Family Reunion
    The convention had rented out Universal’s Islands of Adventure park for the night. I debated attending but it didn’t start until 7:30 pm and I had the race the next day and my family arriving. I enjoy the Harry Potter stuff but not much else at Universal. In the end it didn’t seem worth it for a few rides on Hidden Journey. If my family’s flight had gotten in sooner, we might have tried to make it work. They haven’t been to Universal yet and would have loved to see the World of Harry Potter.

I met up with my family at the hotel after work. I was really missing them by Saturday night. Two solo days was just right for getting in some fun activities (and work). But any longer and I would probably have started tearing up when I saw other people with their kids at the park. They landed at 7:15 pm and were in our room in time to enjoy the 9 pm fireworks

GF-Sat fireworks.jpg

Tomorrow, the Wine and Dine Half!

I agree, it can't possibly be us both going crazy ;-)

So excited for you!!!! I look forward to hearing all about the race if you have time to post a trip report. I've done three of the four race weekends that they are currently offering so I'm excited to hear about the one I haven't done. I'd love to do that one this year but can't really justify a trip right before our Spring Break. Are you doing a quick trip on your own or going with the whole family?
    Thank you! It will be a super quick trip. Fly out Friday, do race Saturday, fly home Monday. DH is going to come with me...I sold it to him as a trip for our anniversary this year. Our Anniversary is end of February and we usually try to go somewhere but this year it isn't really working out since we have family trips planned January and end of March. (I could go all the time but there is only so much travelling he can do). So plan is just the two of us and then we will take the girls as planned in May. He is convinced that we can't tell the girls where we are going until we are back but I don't know how that will work. I guess we will see how it goes without them...I think we will be like you a couple days okay but much more than that and it gets too hard. Doing a little bit of both like you did on this trip seems perfect.

I agree with you about Disney. I don't understand why the simplest things they constantly struggle with (i.e. traffic and road closures). I guess because it is ultimately such a huge company?!? But it couldn't hurt to email them although doubtful it would matter. :)
    Kim

Transportation
    The following is a section to skip if you don’t like negativity.

But this is usually the most interesting part of any trip report!

On our last trip in February this year, we departed on the same day as The Princess Something-or-Other race, I think. When I asked for advice on driving out, I just asked the question with the assumption the race would get in the way and that I should avoid World Drive. I think the CM still tried to convince me it would not be a problem but because I directly asked for alternatives instead of whether I needed an alternative she gave me the necessary directions. She also gave me a cool looking driving map (I mentioned this in my trip report) for WDW that I have never before seen, and to my regret, I somehow misplaced before getting home. I'm still waiting for someone else to get one and post a scan of it.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

I know they just switched W&D to a morning race a few years ago, but the hotel should still be 100% familiar with road closures on race mornings. I can't believe the hotel didn't know this! Wow.
    Yes, Bear Island road is part of the marathon course. That takes you to the "back door" of Animal kingdom. It's like miles 8-12 or something!
    I'm guess rD assumes that since most of the race happens super early in the morning and kind of not near MK much at all, they perhaps didn't communicate anything to the MK resorts? It's a piss-poor excuse, but it's the only reason I can come up with that they wouldn't inform GF of what's happening.

Anyhoo.... the Parisian afternoon sounded wonderful! That's awesome the convention could rent out IOA for you guys, but probably a good idea that you skipped it.
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

Thank you! It will be a super quick trip. Fly out Friday, do race Saturday, fly home Monday. DH is going to come with me...I sold it to him as a trip for our anniversary this year. Our Anniversary is end of February and we usually try to go somewhere but this year it isn't really working out since we have family trips planned January and end of March. (I could go all the time but there is only so much travelling he can do). So plan is just the two of us and then we will take the girls as planned in May. He is convinced that we can't tell the girls where we are going until we are back but I don't know how that will work. I guess we will see how it goes without them...I think we will be like you a couple days okay but much more than that and it gets too hard. Doing a little bit of both like you did on this trip seems perfect.

I agree with you about Disney. I don't understand why the simplest things they constantly struggle with (i.e. traffic and road closures). I guess because it is ultimately such a huge company?!? But it couldn't hurt to email them although doubtful it would matter. :)
    Sounds like the perfect anniversary trip! We agreed on our honeymoon that for our 10th anniversary (next year) we would do a trip just the two of us and stay at Grand Floridian. But since we stayed at Grand Floridian this year and we've decided to take the kids Thanksgiving week next year my husband is hoping to do a Rick Steve's Europe tour instead. I do miss the Disney time just the two of us, we haven't been as a couple since our babymoon before our oldest was born.

I get the struggle about when to tell the kids. Mine were not happy I was going 2 days before them and they still had to go to school. I haven't told them yet that both grandma and I are going to WDW in January for marathon weekend. I might let my husband break the news after we're successfully on our way

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    But this is usually the most interesting part of any trip report!

On our last trip in February this year, we departed on the same day as The Princess Something-or-Other race, I think. When I asked for advice on driving out, I just asked the question with the assumption the race would get in the way and that I should avoid World Drive. I think the CM still tried to convince me it would not be a problem but because I directly asked for alternatives instead of whether I needed an alternative she gave me the necessary directions. She also gave me a cool looking driving map (I mentioned this in my trip report) for WDW that I have never before seen, and to my regret, I somehow misplaced before getting home. I'm still waiting for someone else to get one and post a scan of it.
    This is perfect advice! It didn't even occur to me to get alternate directions "just in case". I wish I had gotten "THE MAP" because the map I had from Alamo didn't have any roads other than World Drive. Maybe I will see if I can come up with a good Disney map in January. I'll post it if I get it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by runDisneygirl View Post
    I know they just switched W&D to a morning race a few years ago, but the hotel should still be 100% familiar with road closures on race mornings. I can't believe the hotel didn't know this! Wow.
    Yes, Bear Island road is part of the marathon course. That takes you to the "back door" of Animal kingdom. It's like miles 8-12 or something!
    I'm guess rD assumes that since most of the race happens super early in the morning and kind of not near MK much at all, they perhaps didn't communicate anything to the MK resorts? It's a piss-poor excuse, but it's the only reason I can come up with that they wouldn't inform GF of what's happening.

Anyhoo.... the Parisian afternoon sounded wonderful! That's awesome the convention could rent out IOA for you guys, but probably a good idea that you skipped it.
    I didn't realize that the Bear road I was on was the same one from the Marathon (it was pretty dark that morning). I really liked that part of the route, shady and rustic. I think it was part of the route for the Wine and Dine half this year too? I don't have a great sense of direction but we did come into AK from a back area and it seemed familiar from the Marathon course.

It was cool that they did the IOA night. The national convention is in Orlando once every five years and five years ago they rented out Hollywood Studios for the night. That was really fun. If it had been a Disney park this time I think we would have moved our flights around just to be sure we could all attend.

Sunday November 4
    Lows: Ticket problems
    Highs: Race Day!

Wine and Dine Half Marathon
    My early alarm woke my husband but much to my relief the kids slept through it. He later said he was irritated that when I was getting ready I “left the door open” to the bathroom but he was too tired to get up and do something about it. Then when he got up for the day, he realized there was no bathroom door, at least to the vanity area

We did Garden Grocer delivery so I had my bagel and banana for breakfast. Is it just me or does it seem like Garden Grocer is getting more expensive? I have been too lazy to research other options. There wasn't a race retreat tent offered this weekend but I probably wouldn't have bothered with it anyway if it had been an option. Due to daylight savings time we got an extra hour of sleep I wonder how many people forgot and were an hour early?

I was out the door at 2:55 am and at the monorail platform at 3 am. I prefer to be on the early side. If I'm up in the middle of the night what is 15 or 30 minutes less sleep? Except there was no monorail and it was dark. Oops! I hadn't really looked closely at the race guide thinking it would be similar to the prior two race weekends with bus transportation for the 5 K and 10 K and monorail for the half. The night before I did have the sense to confirm start time was 5:30 am and race transportation for runners started at 3 am with a recommendation to be no later than 4 am. I just looked back at the race guide today and it specifically says "NO monorail transportation will be available". Here Disney communicates appropriately and then I'm not paying attention.

I headed over to the Convention Center which is where the bus had been on prior race weekends and there they were. The first bus was just pulling out and the second was loading. It waited until exactly 3:15 am and departed. We didn't have far to go, just to the TTC. I'm not sure if walking was allowed? I hadn't asked and really hadn't investigated the race guide. For those who drove, parking was not allowed at the TTC. Participants parked at Epcot (the finish) and then took a bus to the TTC.

I was at the staging area and through security by 3:30 am. Hopped in line to meet Mickey and Minnie which was a 45-minute wait. It felt shorter than that and since the alternative was sitting around, I figured "why not". Done at 4:19 am.

Half-Mickey (2).jpg

I debated getting in line for Lumiere but the line looked even longer than Mickey and I didn't want to be rushed doing gear check, last bathroom break, and getting to the corral.

Half-Lumiere.jpg

Donald was also meeting. Maybe one other meet? But I can't recall for sure.

Half-Donald.jpg

Corrals were open before 5 am. It seemed like way fewer people than marathon weekend. Time stamp on this photo was 4:44 am.

Half-Corrals.jpg

There was plenty of music and the stage was projected on the screen in front of us so there was enough going on that the wait didn't seem that bad. It felt like luxury not having 33-degree weather like Marathon weekend. I do wonder, what did people do while waiting for the race before smart phones?

And then we were off. Here is a link to the course route

http://cdn.instantmagazine.com/uploa...314adf9f35.pdf

I stopped for WAY more photos this race than in prior runs. It was so much fun!!! The lines were not nearly as long as they had been on my other race weekends so it was easier to stop. Some meets had Photopass and some didn't. Spaceship earth was the only place the Photopass photographers wouldn't take a photo with your camera. I'm not sure why. I will try not to bore everyone by posting all of the photos but will include a few of my favorites.

The first meet was Louis Alligator. I’m sad I didn't stop for him. But he had a long line and after all that waiting to start, I just wanted to move. Next up was the Adventurers club. I can't resist these guys. They are just so "Disney" to me. They make me laugh (which is what resulted in my awkward facial expression in the photo) and they usually have no line.

Half-Adventure (2).jpg

There was a woman who posted a picture of herself with the Adventurers dressed as club president Pamelia Perkins. How cool is that? I enjoy all the creative costumes people come up with. My favorite this race was a man dressed as Remy running with a giant chef's hat around him.

I met Russel between TTC and AK
    Then Rafiki inside AK
    There were several other characters inside AK but Rafiki was the only one I stopped for in the park. Love running through AK, just such a beautiful park!

Obligatory Tree of Life stop

Half-Tree_LI (2).jpg

There was Photopass in Pandora

Half-Pandora (2).jpg

On the road between AK and HS I stopped for Pluto, Elvis Stitch, and Mary Poppins' Penguins. Better than a 45 minute wait for Elvis Stitch at the holiday parties

Half-Elvis Stitch (2).jpg

I finally got a photo with Sarge at the on ramp to HS. And for some reason he wasn't making anyone do push-ups. I've been doing strength training classes so I can actually DO pushups now and then didn't have to.

Lots of characters inside HS. I met Mr. and Mrs. Incredible and Edna Mode. There was an informal meet with the Tower of Terror CMs standing outside their ride. They decided they would "look at her like you're disgusted because she's in the wrong park at the wrong ride".

Daisy Duck on the walkway along Crescent Lake

Pinocchio and Mushu in World Showcase

Half-Pinocchio (2).jpg

Photopass at Spaceship Earth on the way to the finish

This cute guy waiting at the finish

Half-Medal.jpg

Grabbed my water, banana, and snack box and headed out. No wait for the bus and no traffic issues getting back the hotel. Quick shower and then I had to get to the conference.

The race was absolutely the highlight of the trip for me. It is also the Disney race where I’ve had the most fun. I think it was a combination of me being more comfortable with the distance, not being worried about finishing, and being a smaller race with shorter lines for the characters.

Sounds like an awesome half marathon! I've never stopped for character pictures when I do races because I'm too nervous about being swept (also kind of want to do the "best" I can, though, really, what does it matter). But you are making me want to do it.
    Feb 2019-Festival of the Arts (POFQ); Nov 2018-40th Birthday Trip (Pop); Aug 2018-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil), Nov 2017-Wine & Dine 5K (Pop), Aug 2017-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); May 2017-Tinkerbell 10K (Disneyland); Novr 2016-Wine & Dine 10K (POFQ); Aug 2016-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Nov 2015-1st Solo Trip (All-Star Movies); Aug 2015-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Aug 2014-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil)

I'm sure you could have walked to the start. It may have been a long and convoluted way to get to the entrance/bag check area though! So probably good you took the bus anyway. Gone are the days when you could just stroll up to your corral... from anywhere! (like from POFQ, like I did back in the day!)
    I'm so glad you had fun with this race and stopped for so many photos! That's what makes it fun for sure. That and dressing up! I tell ya though, there's nothing like being in line for a photo and then swag wagon guys on bikes ride past yelling that you're about the get swept! hahahaha..... That's actually kinda fun too. ;)
    So happy it was a great race for you!!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

I am so glad you had so much fun! This one you were just doing by yourself right? It sounds like you just stopped/did whatever you wanted when you wanted. Feel free to post more pictures. They are adorable and your outfit is awesome.
    Kim

Thanks for the race recap. Your pictures are so cute! This is making me so excited for my next rD race. Running Star Wars challenge in the spring!
    C

Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2013 BWV * Spring break 2015 BWV * Spring break 2017 BCV * Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2018 POFQ * Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 2019 POFQ * Summer 2019 BWV/BCV

Quote Originally Posted by lovett1979 View Post
    Sounds like an awesome half marathon! I've never stopped for character pictures when I do races because I'm too nervous about being swept (also kind of want to do the "best" I can, though, really, what does it matter). But you are making me want to do it.
    It really made the race all the more fun for me this time. And I found the running was so much easier with all the stops. I've never tried run-walking beyond my first few couch to 5K sessions but I can see how a break does keep legs fresh. I was able to go a lot faster at the end than I would normally do and didn't feel fatigued.

This race was a PR for me, longest half marathon and most characters met, so I figure it was still my "best" just a different standard

But I can certainly see where you are coming from. I've decided to focus on time PRs for local races that aren't that interesting and focus on fun at Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by runDisneygirl View Post
    I'm sure you could have walked to the start. It may have been a long and convoluted way to get to the entrance/bag check area though! So probably good you took the bus anyway. Gone are the days when you could just stroll up to your corral... from anywhere! (like from POFQ, like I did back in the day!)
    I'm so glad you had fun with this race and stopped for so many photos! That's what makes it fun for sure. That and dressing up! I tell ya though, there's nothing like being in line for a photo and then swag wagon guys on bikes ride past yelling that you're about the get swept! hahahaha..... That's actually kinda fun too. ;)
    So happy it was a great race for you!!
    It probably wouldn't have been such a great idea to start out the morning with a 1-2 mile walk and risk not being able to find the way into the race start. But it was going through my mind as an option to walk if I couldn't find the bus. There wasn't anyone directing people or a sign saying where we were supposed to catch the bus, I just remembered it was by the Convention center last time.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to stop for every single Character for the half in January. So I might just get to experience the "you're about to get swept" guys. I suppose if I see them I can just outrun them, right? They won't sweep you immediately if you can keep going at the required pace or faster?

I am so glad you had so much fun! This one you were just doing by yourself right? It sounds like you just stopped/did whatever you wanted when you wanted. Feel free to post more pictures. They are adorable and your outfit is awesome.
    You're right, it was kind of nice to be on my own for the race and just follow my inclinations.

The outfit is from Etsy again. iglowrunning. She makes the best stuff! Very comfortable to run in, nothing chafes and it all stays in place. I keep thinking I will have her do a custom design, but I never get to thinking about it until it is too late and there isn't enough time for her to design something new. Maybe next time (although not January, but the next one after that).

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed mom View Post
    Thanks for the race recap. Your pictures are so cute! This is making me so excited for my next rD race. Running Star Wars challenge in the spring!
    Thanks! I'm excited you and Kim will both be at Star Wars. You could have a team easyWDW :-)
    Maybe I'll get to try out Star Wars in 2020!

It’s been awhile but the last I recall, the guys on bikes will ride by first telling you you’re behind pace. At that point you’re still kind of ok for like 5-10 mins or so (if you were waiting in a character line). But then yes, haul ass for another mile or two! You know you’re really super duper in trouble once the balloon ladies pass you up. All of those behind the balloon ladies will be put on the party bus at the next sweep point. Of which I can’t remember all the checkpoints anymore! I know one was before MK. After that, I can’t remember!
    Start in the very front of your corral to help create as big a cushion as you can!
    Tanya

Back to real life after the holidays. I clearly won’t get this trip report done before I leave for my marathon trip in 1 week. I really ought to be packing…

Sunday November 4-continued

While I was at the conference Sunday after the race, my husband and the kids met up with our niece for Mass at Corpus Christi and had lunch off site and did some pool time. I had gone to the Basilica the night before because they had the latest available Mass time, but I still prefer the smaller parish feel of Corpus Christi and that is where our niece usually attends services.

I met the family late afternoon at the hotel and we took the Monorail to Epcot. I was worried the traffic into the park and parking would be bad (if it was anything like Saturday) so we left the rental car at the hotel.

Epcot
    Because it was a short evening, we only had plans for 3 FP and dinner. We had a problem with our ticket prioritization which I detailed here:

https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...piring-tickets

Moral of the story, if you aren't totally sure if your tickets are prioritized correctly you can double check right BEFORE going through the tapstyles by asking for the person with the iPad at the gates. It is not always reversible if the wrong ticket is used and even if it can be corrected a trip to Guest Services is required to fix the issue.

The line for Guest Services was long all day so we didn't sort out the ticket issue until the end of the night. Crowds were not nearly as bad as I had experienced on Saturday and security and the tapstyles had no wait. Likely it was late enough that anyone who planned to be there was already there. And those attending the after-party for the half marathon couldn't enter yet.

We arrived at the end of our first FP window for LWTL. I have a million pictures. S6 said his teacher wanted him to send her pictures so every scene he was demanding I take a picture. I'm sure she'd have loved to have gotten an email inbox full of his vacation pictures. Luckily, he forgot her picture request by our second day.

LWTL waterfall.jpg

Kids’ favorite scene. They want this dog (we are currently between dogs). I am lame and could not get it in focus

LWTL dog.jpg

LWTL orchids.jpg
    Fun to see the seasonal display

LWTL pumpkins.jpg

Mickey Lettuce

LWTL lettuce.jpg

We went directly to Soarin for FP #2 after LWTL. Then took a little break for a Mickey bar.

Our final FP was for Figment (it wasn't needed). My kids have been brainwashed by their retired nanny (she’s like a 3rd grandma to them). She LOVES Figment (although agrees that the previous version of the ride was better) and convinced them this needed to be one of our FPs. This random photo showed up in the MDE app from this day. I have no idea when they did this. Is there a photo booth in the play area after Figment? I guess I’m supposed to IMAGINE the backdrop?

Epcot-Imagination.jpg

We had a little time before our ADR and were planning to do the Disney shorts, but saw rain was coming. So, we headed up to Canada to see O Canada and be closer to dinner.

Canada.jpg

O Canada is not the kids' favorite but it has a spot in my heart from our first trip when we were dating. It is so odd, but every time I see that movie, I am right back at that trip with a vivid recollection of falling in love. Memory is kind of an amazing thing.

When we came out it was pouring but we only had a few feet to walk to the entrance to Le Cellier. Le Cellier was my husband’s choice. Although the price has gone up and the quality down, he has a soft spot for Le Cellier because we went here on our honeymoon. Overall, I would say it was above average for a Disney meal. Not as good as some of the other signatures but reasonably good. As Josh often says it’s all about expectations. We didn’t expect much and were pleasantly surprised when it exceeded our low expectations.

My oldest had the cheddar beer soup and told our waitress “It’s the best soup I’ve had in my whole life”. He’s all about the drama. My youngest and I split the mussels. He’s kind of a mussels-maniac and was upset it was removed from the Be Our Guest menu so I was glad we had the option to get them here straight from Prince Edward Island. My husband had a salad. It was really good but I forget details other than it was more than just a standard side salad. I forgot pictures most of this meal, the lighting was not good anyway.

The kids’ pasta

LC kids mac.jpg

I had the fillet. We don’t cook red meat at home so I always seem to gravitate toward it on vacation

LC fillet.jpg

No idea what my husband had for his entrée. I’m sure he was terribly disappointed not having me lean over and take pictures before he could get a bite.

Kids had the Chocolate Moose for dessert with the adorable cookie moose antlers. My husband and I shared the seasonal cheesecake. It was good and a very cute presentation.

LC dessert.jpg
    Last edited by Anne; 01-05-2019 at 06:09 AM.

We enjoyed wandering World Showcase after dinner and because of the rain the walkways were nice and open. I stopped in the Tea Caddy (UK) to do the shopping I didn’t have time for on my solo day. The kids found Alice with no wait. This was the best I could get with over a dozen photos. The youngest kind of looks like he’s making a rude gesture but really he’s trying to demonstrate what he believes to be a karate move

Epcot-Alice2.jpg

More evidence that no one was into posing (nicely) for photos on this day

Epcot-Paris2.jpg

With quite a bit of refreshing before dinner I was able to get us overlapping FPs for FEA. Maybe the rain helped? It has definitely been harder to get 4th FPs on my last several trips, although we’ve also been going at higher crowd times the last few trips so that may be part of it.

Epcot-FEA.jpg

The kids and my husband stopped at Club Cool while I went to Guest Services to work on the ticket issue. I was still in line when they finished and they headed back to the hotel while I sorted it out. As I left the park people were coming in for the after-race party. I didn’t pay attention to the details of how early you can get in with the ticket because I didn’t plan on going. I had a “free” ticket and a $15 gift card that came with race registration but I would have had to pay $70ish per family member if they wanted to attend which didn’t seem worth it.

An enjoyable and relaxing evening at Epcot. Tomorrow, more work, a Magic Kingdom afternoon, and date night!

Sounds like fun! There is a photobooth in the Figment exit area. My daughter and I hopped in there once. Your mystery photo appears to be from the same booth. There is no backdrop in our photos either.
    Jen