Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Story 4!??!

he's right
    I had this conversation with my daughter, who was similarly skeptical.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm looking forward to it. This is an existential crisis for Woody. TS2 had some of that flavor, but his question there was: What form of external validation do I value? This question is different: what is my inner purpose? He has always assumed he knew in the past. Now, maybe not so much.

Disney's raison d'Ítre is to cross-promote stories, franchises, theme parks, etc. And it's not new. That's the entire reason why Disneyland was built the way it was built; the lands were intented to cross-promote the genres of the company's film library. Mickey was the company's first franchise-exploited-forever. It hasn't stopped, and it's not going to. Frankly, I'm happy that the various Studios are paying as much attention to story as they are within the confines of what the structure of the company requires of them. I know some of you also remember the decade or two prior to Little Mermaid.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I know some of you also remember the decade or two prior to Little Mermaid.
    That was exactly when I was born/grew up (b. 1965, Little Mermaid* released 1988), so the Disney Parks to me always seemed like museums for all the older, classic films. It was unheard of, for me, to see something "modern" in the parks, and when I finally did, part of me resisted and felt like they hadn't earned their place. Now, of course, it's all (or mostly) about the the new.

*I only went to see this, in fact, because it had gotten good reviews. New Disney films, to me, were the silly Snowball Express or Escape to Witch Mountain live-action films, forget about animated. It was exciting to witness, as a young adult, the Disney animation renaissance, where each new film could be the next Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast. As it turns out, nothing surpassed them, but a few came close. And then came Pixar.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

I'm all for it. I'd rather watch Toy Story 8 than live action Dumbo any day of the week.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    I'm all for it. I'd rather watch Toy Story 8 than live action Dumbo any day of the week.
    I hear you, but I'd rather see Coco (to pick the most recent "original" movie) than Toy Story 8.

I don't mind the live action remakes too much, but do think they're coming a little too Fast and Furious (to name-check a franchise which actually does have 8 movies).

George, what about the Ken Russell films? Computer Wore Tennis Shoes was my jam.

Yes, Coco <3
    Tricia

How about live action Toy Story 5????

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    I'd rather see Coco (to pick the most recent "original" movie) than Toy Story 8.
    You know what's cool? We get to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    You know what's cool? We get to do both.
    They're going to make 4 more Toy Story movies after this one?! You know something I don't know about!
    Tricia

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    But... but... Tim Burton!
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

No we don't, b'noble. We get to watch both Toy Story 8 and Coco 4. C'mon pay attention!

he's right
    They're going to make 4 more Toy Story movies after this one?! You know something I don't know about!
    The various studios will continue to produce new material. They will also continue to flog tent-pole franchises. As long as the former still happens at a respectable clip, I'm happy.

that's a shame
    I'm awaiting a horror spin off. Toys of Terror; Sid's Revenge.
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

So I'm guessing you missed the made-for-TV short from a few years back, Toy Story of Terror? It generally airs on ABC around Halloween - it's pretty good for what it is.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2446040/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I'm awaiting a horror spin off. Toys of Terror; Sid's Revenge.
    The first time I rode Small World as an adult, I had a vision of an alt-Toy Story where the small world animatronics are sentient but condemned to sing that song and make those movements for eternity.
    Feb 2019-Festival of the Arts (POFQ); Nov 2018-40th Birthday Trip (Pop); Aug 2018-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil), Nov 2017-Wine & Dine 5K (Pop), Aug 2017-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); May 2017-Tinkerbell 10K (Disneyland); Novr 2016-Wine & Dine 10K (POFQ); Aug 2016-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Nov 2015-1st Solo Trip (All-Star Movies); Aug 2015-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Aug 2014-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil)