Thread: Owner's Locker

Owner's Locker

I know it has been mentioned on here before but anyone have recent thoughts on Owner's Locker? Now that I am officially a DVC member I have been thinking I would take advantage of the promotion they have (membership fee waived/6 months free). Is it one of those things that are worth it?

My only hesitation is that it sounds like it can be difficult to withdraw from the service, but that does not seem a reason for me to not sign up. Input is welcome.
    Kim

This thread I started very close to 2 years ago has lots of good thoughts.
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...ence-With-Poll

I ended up getting one, and I appreciate it mostly for items that don't expire:
    water pitcher
    power strips
    chargers
    umbrellas
    flashlights
    nail clippers
    razors
    sewing kits
    eyeglass repair kits
    first aid kit
    some clothes, including bathing suits and pool shoes
    coffee filters
    kitchen bags
    swiss army knife (can't bring on plane)

A lot of it is stuff is (1) stuff you have to have for other trips anyway but it makes your Disney bags lighter or (2) things you can probably get by without but it's nice to have them on standby.

I would have to check my list for the specifics but some long-lasting consumables are in there as well. When we got it and I first picked it up I thought we would never fill it. When it was time to pack it at the end of the trip it was a puzzle getting it all in.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Thanks Mark! I didn't realize you had a prior thread or I would not have started this one. I am glad it has worked out for you and that you are happy with it.
    Kim

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    We've had ours for several years now, and love having the things that we don't want to have to lug down every time. It helps us travel with carry-ons, and we keep clothes (mostly t-shirts) that we, honestly, wouldn't wear outside of Disney. Also, we keep extra walking shoes, laundry detergent, toiletries, most of our different colored MBs, shower head (with the water saver removed) and adjustable wrench, etc. When we go down for our semi-annual trips, we hardly have to bring anything with us.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    Thanks Mark! I didn't realize you had a prior thread or I would not have started this one. I am glad it has worked out for you and that you are happy with it.
    No worries. I don't thread integrity or duplication is a major issue here.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Thank you for posting this, Kim, and the previous thread, Mark. Now that we are new DVC owners, we are contemplating an OL.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    shower head (with the water saver removed) and adjustable wrench, etc
    I love this!

Water-pressure.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

We've had ours for several years now, and love having the things that we don't want to have to lug down every time. It helps us travel with carry-ons, and we keep clothes (mostly t-shirts) that we, honestly, wouldn't wear outside of Disney. Also, we keep extra walking shoes, laundry detergent, toiletries, most of our different colored MBs, shower head (with the water saver removed) and adjustable wrench, etc. When we go down for our semi-annual trips, we hardly have to bring anything with us.
    Adopt me and take me with you please :)
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    Adopt me and take me with you please :)
    Only if you promise not to keep nagging me to go to Epcot for three hours during a five-hour MCO layover. Or similar.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

In my mind it is about convenience not cost.

Unless your storing something heavy, or don't have a lot of room at home, it seems to make more sense to have a checked bag, you could even treat it as a owners locker that you store things and take back and forth with you, it is just you storing and transporting. That would be $50 each trip for checked bag fee. It would be cheaper for most families.

But, a lot of times these things are not about costs. To not have to worry about bringing things back and forth, not have to worry about laundry pods breaking or shampoo leaking, or that you forgot something. (my moisturizer just opened in our checked bag last night, made a mess, but at least I had double bagged it) A lot of people find those items worth the extra few dollars. Especially in the overall vacation budget.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    In my mind it is about convenience not cost.

Unless your storing something heavy, or don't have a lot of room at home, it seems to make more sense to have a checked bag, you could even treat it as a owners locker that you store things and take back and forth with you, it is just you storing and transporting. That would be $50 each trip for checked bag fee. It would be cheaper for most families.

But, a lot of times these things are not about costs. To not have to worry about bringing things back and forth, not have to worry about laundry pods breaking or shampoo leaking, or that you forgot something. (my moisturizer just opened in our checked bag last night, made a mess, but at least I had double bagged it) A lot of people find those items worth the extra few dollars. Especially in the overall vacation budget.
    So I have started doing pretty much exactly this instead with an extra checked bag. And I'll explain the reasons why. 1. My husband flies so much that we dont pay to check bags. 2. we go both to Aulani and WDW and I want my owners locker stuff both places.

So what I have done is buy packing cubes and created specific like items cubes. This way the few things I need that are WDW specific (a few extra Magic Bands, a backpack, blister stuff etc) and my Aulani things (snorkel stuff, floaties for the beach) are in a cube specific to those locations. I then have a kitchen cube. It has a real knife and cutting board, spices and cooking oil, scissors, a real good set of tongs and a few other random things like ziplocks. The best advice I got was use backpacking kits for spices and oils. I hated always buying a whole thing of salt, pepper, olive oil etc every trip and then leaving it at the end of the week. We have a cube with electronics and accessories. Mainly chargers but also a bluetooth speaker and a fire tv stick. A toiletries cube with sunscreen, shampoo and conditioner (I'm a big fan of lush bars for these, it means no leaking) extra toothbrushes and toothpaste and laundry stuff. And then there are some random things in there as well like a beach bag, a few reusable shopping bags, a popup laundry basket and a spare ball cap. So far it has been SUPER useful on all of our trips and I am glad I did it and can use it both places.

I mostly do not unpack the bag between trips. I check it before we go and then when we get back to make sure everything is still good and then the rest of the time it just chills in the bottom of the guest room closet

Only if you promise not to keep nagging me to go to Epcot for three hours during a five-hour MCO layover. Or similar.
    Me? Never :p
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel