Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory Maker downloading with 2,100 photos

Memory Maker downloading with 2,100 photos

The last of our group has returned home. Some have finished editing and some have begun downloading. Having 2,100 photos makes it extremely slow for downloading. I tried twice to download all 2,100 photos but was timed out both times. The person that sat up the group was originally going to download to another photo site, from where people could download their photos. However, not everyone could wait until everyone had edited to start downloading. Any tips to make downloading easier?

Can those that have already edited/downloaded delete the photos they no longer need to make it more manageable?
    Just curious: how large was your group?

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    What causes the most problems, apparently, is when multiple people click the "Download All" button (or one person clicks it multiple times). FOr 2100 pictures, clicking that button will start the creation process of about 70-100 individual zip files collectively containing all of the pictures and videos. But when everyone in the group is clicking that, or someone clicks it multiple times because it looks like it didn't work, all of the zip files cause the system to basically stop working.

It may take a call to Tech Support to blow away the zip files and create a batch you can actually access.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Good Advice from the Doctor!

Also wanted to say downloading them to another site like flicker, photobucket etc is all good and well but then you won't get all the neat stickers and editing tools that are in Disney's Photopass

When I did a share in September I downloaded each file individually from the download page - the zip files are all on top but none of them made sense to me - so I kept scrolling and there were thumbnails of all the pictures and I just dowloaded the ones that were my group to my laptop from there. It wasn't the best way I'm sure but it did work for me.
    CR Jan 18-23 2018 YC Jan 23-28

The other thing I've found is that I could only get the download to work properly in IE11. It did not work well in Chrome. Annoying but worth a try if you've been using another browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofballs View Post
    Can those that have already edited/downloaded delete the photos they no longer need to make it more manageable?
    Just curious: how large was your group?
    Guess what, Disney didn't implement a way to delete photos that you have added to the download queue and already downloaded. Shocked they didn't think of that, I'm sure ;)

We had the same problem with our group. Worse even, it wouldn't even open the download page at all. Disney didn't even offer a fix for it, they said the only option was to wait till all the edits are done and they'd send a CD for free.

Quote Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
    Guess what, Disney didn't implement a way to delete photos that you have added to the download queue and already downloaded. Shocked they didn't think of that, I'm sure ;)

We had the same problem with our group. Worse even, it wouldn't even open the download page at all. Disney didn't even offer a fix for it, they said the only option was to wait till all the edits are done and they'd send a CD for free.
    OK, I like the CD for free answer. I sent a pre-vacation notice out to our group warning of downloading before the edits were done. Better to download once at the end!

When it comes time for the final download, I'll contact them to see if they can wipe out the download page. Where do I find the phone number to call?

makes josh ride in the passenger seat Rhonda's Avatar
    Honestly after having done a couple now, I think the best bet is similar to the old way- have everyone make edits then the leader downloads and makes cd's for everyone. Just add in the cost of cd and shipping like we used to. For my August one with my friends, that is how it will happen. So worth it!!
    Rhonda (obviously)

2009~CBR
    2010~AKV
    2010~POP
    2011~POR
    2012~ASMo (mom and son trip)
    /with 2 "I won a contest" nights at POFQ!
    2012~POP
    2013~POR
    2014~ASSp

Our August 2011 Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by mosh513 View Post
    OK, I like the CD for free answer. I sent a pre-vacation notice out to our group warning of downloading before the edits were done. Better to download once at the end!

When it comes time for the final download, I'll contact them to see if they can wipe out the download page. Where do I find the phone number to call?
    Not sure about the phone number (have you tried Contact Us on the Photopass site?) but our leader did contact them and they could not wipe the download page, or they said they could not do anything to fix it. Which is why they said they'd send a free CD instead. Worse thing, the CD only contained about 200 pictures when she got it so she has to call them again to get it straightened out. I love Photopass/Memory Maker but really question getting it again due to how horrendous their website is, and has been. We had the same types of issues on our trip in 2011. Clearly Disney IT doesn't plan to improve the site

known as jane elsewhere, but her friends call her meannatasha
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    Honestly after having done a couple now, I think the best bet is similar to the old way- have everyone make edits then the leader downloads and makes cd's for everyone. Just add in the cost of cd and shipping like we used to. For my August one with my friends, that is how it will happen. So worth it!!
    We ended up ordering a CD after our October trip. Never had any luck trying to download anything.

SOG Nov 2004, March 2006, March 2009, April 2010, Oct 2011, Jan 2013, May 2013, Dec 2013, Oct 2014, Jan 2015, Oct 2015, Dec 2015 (I've lost track; many more).
    DLR March 2011
    Offsite Oct 2012, Jan 2013, April 2013, May 2015, Aug 2015, December 2017

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorK View Post
    What causes the most problems, apparently, is when multiple people click the "Download All" button (or one person clicks it multiple times). FOr 2100 pictures, clicking that button will start the creation process of about 70-100 individual zip files collectively containing all of the pictures and videos. But when everyone in the group is clicking that, or someone clicks it multiple times because it looks like it didn't work, all of the zip files cause the system to basically stop working.

It may take a call to Tech Support to blow away the zip files and create a batch you can actually access.
    We are just back from a January/February share (thanks TiggerGirl!). I am having problems with "download all." My connection keeps timing out, whether I use IE or Chrome on my PC, or Safari on my mac. I'm wondering if I have to have a certain internet speed as well or are my issues probably because of what DoctorK had mentioned here?

I had two days where it kept timing out on me and then the next day it worked. sorry you're having troubles

What do you mean "my connection keeps timing out." Can you do a screen cap with the error message?

Connection Timed Out

That's all that appears on the screen after about 5 minutes. I hit "download all," get to the next page to "preparing photos for download", I hit "download" and the "connection timed out" screen appears.

No worries, I still have a few more weeks to figure out how to make this work. I may take my laptop to a friend's with faster internet speeds than is available to me at home; maybe that will help.

Have you checked "My Downloads" to see if the download files have been made? It's my understanding that this process happens "in the background" and may have continued even though your connection timed out.

If you can get to My Downloads, how many files are already in there?

I can't even seem to get to that page. When I click "My Downloads" it goes to the land in-between where it's trying to get to the page but never quite makes it there, and then it times out. I'll try it again, though, and let you know. I would like to get our pictures someday.

I'm guessing there's a problem with your account that a call to IT might resolve. The errors you're getting and the things your describing are unusual.

OK, thanks!

i had the exact same problem for two days - we're on the same share - it happened two days in a row using Chrome - the next day it was all fine again.

Try this first - I don't know if it's 100% true but it worked for me:

when you're going in and clicking on "My Downloads" - I'm guessing you haven't actually downloaded anything that session and it's as if the system doesn't like that.

Click on ANY photo and download it

Now click "My Downloads"

Does that work for you?

That's what worked for me.

No luck. I tried to download just one picture, but then I can't even get off of that page/screen. I'm seriously wondering if my internet speed is contributing to the problem. I think I might try taking my mac to a friend's house and see if I can get a better result there.

I am having the same problem so any advice appreciated.

I hosted a share (we had six families and 999 photos). We ran into the same problem you are describing. I called in and a really nice girl reset our downloads page (erased all the zip files and individual photos off that page) and advised that I finish all my edits and click download all instead of doing individual downloads. I asked our group to not click download all and instead all download the same set of zip files. The lady I spoke to also sent me a cd for free although I haven't received it yet.
    Sept. '12 The Poly Jan. '15 BWV Apr. '16 CSR/LBV Hilton

An interesting topic, I learned a lot of useful things
    There are a lot of useful sites about photo and photo editing, my favorite blogs.
    http://fixthephoto.com/ and http://weedit.photos/ for many years I have been using their manuals and always find interesting ideas for creativity there!
    Last edited by AmyLyons; 04-04-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyLyons View Post
    An interesting topic, I learned a lot of useful things
    Be aware that the MemoryMaker / Photopass website has been redesigned since this was originally discussed. The method for downloading all photos has changed for sure, so I am not sure if these tips are all true anymore.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR