Thread: Southwest Upgraded vs Earlybird

Southwest Upgraded vs Earlybird

I booked our Southwest flight to MCO ages ago and forgot to add the Earlybird. I just thought about it today, logged on and saw that it's $25pp/ per trip!!! For the 3 of us, that's $60 more than I was expecting.

So here's my question: will they allow just one of us to do the upgraded boarding? Does anyone have any experience with this? We did it with my mom one trip a few years ago but I'm not sure if I purchased her ticket separately and she looked like a single traveler....

To be honest, since the upgrade price runs from $30-50, we could chance the trip down and spend the full $150 to be A1-3.
    MaryEllen

I never pay for Earlybird, even before the price increase.
    Is it really, REALLY important that you sit together? Can you not check in at 24 hours?
    I've flown Southwest a lot and always checked in at 24 hours, on the dot (app makes it very easy even at Disney, in the parks) and never, ever, in all that time, not sat with my traveling partners.
    That said, I also don't care if we sit together. We live together, we vacation together. We will manage a flight apart. Even DGD but she's very independent and not afraid of strangers. I'm positive we would never be more than 1 row apart

I suppose you could try to do early bird for one person and have that person board first and attempt to "save" seats for the others. If the others were in a fairly decent boarding position (A or B), it would likely work. Of course, no guarantees. Your other option, which I used to do often, is just buy early bird for everyone for the return trip. I can typically check in 24 hours in advance from home, and doing so will get you a good boarding position. However, I don't always want to be bothered with checking in right at the 24 hour point while I'm on vacation, so I'll do early bird on the way back so I don't have to worry about it. (However, with the ease of checking in via the app, this isn't quite as necessary as it used to be, either.)

I believe if you're all on the same confirmation number it's all or none, you can't just pick for one person's ticket. I might be wrong, but pretty sure that's the case.

Is your party two adults and one child? Is the child young enough to qualify for family boarding?

I've bought early bird for myself and "saved" seats for my family. I go 1/2 way into plane so that I don't get too many dirty looks. I throw down jackets and my bag. One time, it was a booster seat. People pass those up quickly :)

Our our flight home earlier this year I was A16.... But, there was a major hold up in the security line and we barely made it to our flight. I got there when boarding the C's. Sigh. But, we found 2 seats together and when a woman saw my son by himself 2 rows ahead of his Dad, she offered to switch seats so he could be with his Dad. My husband was quite unnerved because of the whole security nightmare and the idea that we were going to miss our flight, so she was probably happy to let our son sit near him :)

So, I now think I will just leave it to fate in the future. We always get checked in at exactly 24 hours, and the rest of my family have always been B. With B, we will most likely always be able to sit 2 and 2, although, my kids like to sit with me and have Dad across the aisle (if the plane is 3/3).

You don’t all have to have early bird . Will get it for my husband because he is more particular about it. I am going Saturday for work and don’t have early bird. I will chance my boarding position. I will check in from home but not the parks unless I remember.
    Karin
    Visiting off and on since the 70's
    And since finding this site in 2013, never go without my ​Easy Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kfernandes View Post
    ... just buy early bird for everyone for the return trip. I can typically check in 24 hours in advance from home, and doing so will get you a good boarding position. However, I don't always want to be bothered with checking in right at the 24 hour point while I'm on vacation, so I'll do early bird on the way back so I don't have to worry about it.
    This is exactly what we have been doing the last few trips too. Even though we are always very good about checking in at 24 hours (even from the park the day before) we just don't like having to plan around it, and take out of the day... so its worth it to me to just get EarlyBird for the return flight.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

Thanks for the advice. I should have noted that we are going vacation week so I know it will be a full flight. My Daughter is 14 so no early boarding for us but Ill have to discuss the prospect of sitting between strangers vs $150 Disney spending money. :-)
    MaryEllen

we were mid-Bs and still all sat together....3 in a row with 1 seat across on aisle.
    login and get Bs and think 2 seats together will be easy.

Cathy
    Trip Report #1 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...mber-2015-Trip
    Trip Report #2 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Trip-Report-2
    Trip Report #3
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...I-got-this!!!!

WDW~ May 2009, July/August 2010, September 2013, December 2015, February 2017 & September 2018
    DL~ July/August 2016