Thread: Southwest - I “Wanna Get Away”!

Southwest - I “Wanna Get Away”!

Southwest opened their fares for 3/7 -4/something/2019this morning.

Initially they were showing some “Wanna Get Away” fares but within 30 minutes those were showing “sold out” across all flights on a given day/route. I was flexible on departure (MCO or TPA) and arrival airports (choice of 6).

Do they typically release seats in the WGA category gradually, or are our friends likely out of luck?

I’ve seen additional wanna get away fares pop back up, but I think it is usually due to cancelations or flight changes by others that put them back into inventory. I am not sure about gradually releasing such fares.
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

I booked our departure 'Wanna Get Away' flights yesterday morning, and the same prices/availability are showing today. This is for flying into MCO, though, not out - on a weekday.
    ~Heather

Through the years there have been many times that I have seen SW flights sell out well in advance of the flight date. But if you wait they mysteriously become available again later on. I usually have good luck getting flights at good prices at about 3 months out.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dadknight View Post
    I’ve seen additional wanna get away fares pop back up, but I think it is usually due to cancelations or flight changes by others that put them back into inventory. I am not sure about gradually releasing such fares.
    I believe this is generally how it works.
    On flights they expect to be sold out, such as around Christmas, they may not release any Wanna Get Away fares to start. This happened to us when trying to buy tickets for a cruise over Christmas. The Wanna Get Away was listed as Not Available as opposed to Sold Out. They did eventually release the Wanna Get Away fares for the flights we were considering, but after the deadline for canceling the cruise without penalty had passed. And unfortunately we had canceled the cruise by then, because we weren't willing to pay the fares at the time and couldn't risk waiting for them to come down.
    The Wanna Get Away fares will increase in price and sell out very rapidly on popular routes. It can be hard to catch them because they don't seem to have a set release time.
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

If anyone is interested, today our Wann get Away flights for early January both went down even tho it says the sale is for Oct/Nov.

Theresia

Quote Originally Posted by Momof8 View Post
    If anyone is interested, today our Wann get Away flights for early January both went down even tho it says the sale is for Oct/Nov.

Theresia
    Thanks for the heads up.
    And I can happily report that at some point today they opens more WGA fares for the route we were looking for.

Our friends were not able to get in the same flights as us with the lower fare, but same travel dates and airports so it will all work out.

I guess this is evidence that they do go from “sold out” to “available”. (And I guess it could be from other travelers rescheduling, but quite a few different options opened up so I do t think so...)

Southwest extended their schedule again today, and my previously booked flights for March (that were showing Wanna Get Away as sold out) dropped.

Check your flights!

I've been checking our departure flights periodically since booking last month, and they've dropped a few times. I finally got the lowest price this past Monday.
    ~Heather