Thread: Vacation Package vs. DVC Rental

Vacation Package vs. DVC Rental

Hi everyone,

It has been 4 years since my last Disney trip and I am a bit out of touch and rusty with the planning. I am planning a trip in May of 2019 and will be traveling with my parents and my daughter who will be out of college by then. Last trip in 2015 we stayed at POP, all in the same room and the room was so small! So I would like and try the DVC rental with maybe a studio or 1 bedroom if I get lucky.

This is kind of a difficult decision since we have always book a package, with no airfare, so if we go DVC rental this will be different. My parents like the dinning plan with the table service and like to relax and enjoy their meal. Any suggestions or ideas? Do I wait for a room discount at a moderate resort? I have also heard is better just to book everything separate. I am not concern about the airfare since I do have a travel bank credit with JetBlue.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!! And it feels good to be back!

Maria

Quote Originally Posted by marangeli22 View Post
    Hi everyone,

It has been 4 years since my last Disney trip and I am a bit out of touch and rusty with the planning. I am planning a trip in May of 2019 and will be traveling with my parents and my daughter who will be out of college by then. Last trip in 2015 we stayed at POP, all in the same room and the room was so small! So I would like and try the DVC rental with maybe a studio or 1 bedroom if I get lucky.

This is kind of a difficult decision since we have always book a package, with no airfare, so if we go DVC rental this will be different. My parents like the dinning plan with the table service and like to relax and enjoy their meal. Any suggestions or ideas? Do I wait for a room discount at a moderate resort? I have also heard is better just to book everything separate. I am not concern about the airfare since I do have a travel bank credit with JetBlue.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!! And it feels good to be back!

Maria
    I suggest renting a 1-bedroom villa at Boulder Ridge. If you guys want to do the dining plan then just add it on. After staying in values and moderates, you’ll really appreciate the villas. I wouldn’t do a studio with your parents there. That’d be cramped just like the moderates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    A studio in DVC isn’t much bigger than a moderate room (if it’s even bigger at all). You’re looking at extra fees with four adults in one room in a moderate, thought, and you’d avoid those fees with a DVC booking, even in a studio, so it should end up being much less expensive than the moderate room.

if you want more room, a 1-bedroom DVC rental will give you that. All four of you would need to purchase the dining plan even if it’s just your parents who want it.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Some thoughts for you...

Where to stay - I think you'll be better off in a DVC studio than at a moderate. If you decide to go with DVC then you need to decide which resort's theme you like the best or which has better proximity to the parks, if that matters to you. Graydogg51 suggested Boulder Ridge and I would agree but that's because we own there so we are partial. BRV has a boat to the MK that is very nice and relaxing and it's VERY nice when leaving the park not to have to deal with the buses. You should really do some research online to look at the DVC resorts to help you decide. I do think that you'd be even better off in a one bedroom DVC. The extra room(s) will make life a lot easier and the one bedroom also gives you a full kitchen and a washer/dryer in the unit which can be very useful.

Dining plan - I would suggest that you do not buy the dining plan. We used to buy it and then I read numerous times that the dining plan does not save you money. So as an experiment the past couple of trips we didn't buy it and kept track of our receipts for comparison. When DW and I went alone for a week and stayed at OKW we saved over $300 in food costs. We make ADRs for a TS dinner every night of our stay and have QS lunch wherever we happen to be. We do have breakfast in the studio (when it's 2 of us) and use Garden Grocer or Amazon Prime to order breakfast food, coffee, etc.. You'd be surprised at what you can have for breakfast using just a microwave and a toaster. This past January we went and took our 4 adult children, DD, DSiL, DS, and DDiL and we saved way over $1,000 by not having the dining plan. Part of that was attributable to the AP discount but we still would have saved without it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and input! This information is very helpful. I have been thinking about not doing the dinning plan like capeokw56 suggested, and have breakfast in the room. Change things up this time around and see how it goes. I will do my resort research and go with the one bedroom option as well.

Your suggestions are appreciated!!

Wow, I have been debating the same thing for the same time next year! I have been looking at this a few ways and I can share my thoughts.

Primarily, I was considering cost. Based on my family, 2 adults, 2 children, this is what I priced for May 4-11 2019

Using the Disney site:

Wilderness Lodge Standard View Room (2 queen beds): $415.29/night, $2907.03 for the week
    Port Orleans Riverside Preferred Room (2 Queen beds, 1 pull down Bed): $298.29/night, $2,088.03 for the week

Using Dave's DVC Rental

Boulder Ridge Villas @ Wilderness Lodge
    Studio (1 queen bed, 1 double sleeper sofa, 1 pull down bed) $2040 for the week
    1 Bedroom (1 King bed, 1 queen sleeper sofa) $4335 for the week
    2 Bedroom (1 King bed, 2 queen beds, 1 queen sleeper sofa) $5406 for the week

So for us, renting points for the Studio at BRV is cheaper than the Preferred Room at Riverside, with acceptable sleeping arrangements (my two boys prefer not to sleep together, but I have concerns about the sofa bed and to a lesser degree the pull down). For you, you may want to think about the sleeping options, not sure I would want an adult to suffer on a sleeper sofa or pull down all week...I did post this question in a previous post, so take a look at the responses there.

Also, the downside of the point rental is you need to book earlier (7+ months) than you do with Disney, no refunds, and no housekeeping every day (but you can pay an extra $30/day for it).
    Last edited by JAMJAM; 08-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.

I will definitely let my parents have the room and my daughter and I can sleep in the sofa bed. I will also check out your previous post!

Thank you for your the information!

We started renting DVC a few years ago through dvcrentalstore.com (not affiliated with them at all that's just who we use) and never looked back. It's so affordable and the rooms much nicer. While we do not get the dining plan it is my understanding you can still add the dining plan even when renting DVC through the booking agent. We use Jane Gargett and she's awesome!

We're annual passholders so we don't have to buy tickets, but yes you can rent DVC, buy your tickets and get your airfare separately.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Adventures of Peas and Carrots
    www.youtube.com/TheAdventuresofPandC
    Please Subscribe!

Thank you for the information!! I am looking forward to doing things differently this time around!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeasandCarrots View Post
    We started renting DVC a few years ago through dvcrentalstore.com (not affiliated with them at all that's just who we use) and never looked back. It's so affordable and the rooms much nicer. While we do not get the dining plan it is my understanding you can still add the dining plan even when renting DVC through the booking agent. We use Jane Gargett and she's awesome!

We're annual passholders so we don't have to buy tickets, but yes you can rent DVC, buy your tickets and get your airfare separately.
    Same here! We've used Jane as well. So far we've stayed at AKL, BC, and Poly. Renting points is the #BeesKnees