Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Close To Your Next Trip Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    We seem to be in the (lucky) minority, because we just charge everything (points!) and paying off the credit card each month. We've never had to worry about budget or availability of funds.
    Oh I still charge it for the points and pay it off each month. I just do it in installments before the trip. I could afford to pay it all at once, it just hurts less if I don't.
    Jen

29 days now until a return visit to DHS! This time doing it solo! :)
    WDW- 3/78, 10/11, 10/17, 12/18

EP - 12/16, 10/17

AK - 12/16, 4/18

DHS - 4/14, 9/18

near Cleveland OH (but out in the country)
    54 days! checking in on our 26th anniversary!

Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by splinteroh View Post
    54 days! checking in on our 26th anniversary!
    Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

near Cleveland OH (but out in the country)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcteeters View Post
    Congratulations

Thanks! fingers crossed for some "pixie dust" this trip

Over two years away! We're not heading back until November 2020. Waiting until Star Wars land is opened before our next trip.
    We already have trips to Rome and Jamaica planned to keep us going until the next WDW trip. :)

Our TA recommended looking into the gap between Thanksgiving and Christmas as a good time to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasha View Post
    Over two years away! We're not heading back until November 2020. Waiting until Star Wars land is opened before our next trip.
    We already have trips to Rome and Jamaica planned to keep us going until the next WDW trip. :)

136.5 hours until my flight lands at MCO. I will end up spending way too much money adding days to previously purchased tickets, renewing APs, and upgrading to new ones in advance of the real budget busting trip at New Year’s with 8 people total. I don’t like to think about the amount of money we spend on Disney trips. We are very thankful that we are able to go as much as much as we do. We used to scratch and save for each trip and completely understand the budgeting and saving for those too infrequent trips. It may sound crazy, but as I think about it, WDW may have been the single biggest motivator outside of family responsibilities (kid’s education, house, food, etc) for my wife and I to work as hard as we have to get where we are today. Now THAT’S some real magic. Motivate someone who has modest means to work harder, earn more money and give it to you. I took it hook, line and sinker, but don’t mind at all.
    June 2004 ASMO; Dec 2005 POP; Feb 2007 POP; March 2011 POR; March 2014 POR; Feb 2015 BWV; Sept 2015 PVB; Jan 2016 AKV Jambo (kind of); Feb 2016 OKW; Sept 2016 PVB; Feb/March 2017 BWV/PVB; Aug/Sept 2017 BCV; Feb 2018 BLT/CCV

MY TRIP REPORTS

I feel you, me and my wife both took promotions and our employees are driving us nuts but we keep talking about how much quicker we will get to Disney
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dadknight View Post
    136.5 hours until my flight lands at MCO. I will end up spending way too much money adding days to previously purchased tickets, renewing APs, and upgrading to new ones in advance of the real budget busting trip at New Yearís with 8 people total. I donít like to think about the amount of money we spend on Disney trips. We are very thankful that we are able to go as much as much as we do. We used to scratch and save for each trip and completely understand the budgeting and saving for those too infrequent trips. It may sound crazy, but as I think about it, WDW may have been the single biggest motivator outside of family responsibilities (kidís education, house, food, etc) for my wife and I to work as hard as we have to get where we are today. Now THATíS some real magic. Motivate someone who has modest means to work harder, earn more money and give it to you. I took it hook, line and sinker, but donít mind at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dadknight View Post
    136.5 hours until my flight lands at MCO. I will end up spending way too much money adding days to previously purchased tickets, renewing APs, and upgrading to new ones in advance of the real budget busting trip at New Year’s with 8 people total. I don’t like to think about the amount of money we spend on Disney trips. We are very thankful that we are able to go as much as much as we do. We used to scratch and save for each trip and completely understand the budgeting and saving for those too infrequent trips. It may sound crazy, but as I think about it, WDW may have been the single biggest motivator outside of family responsibilities (kid’s education, house, food, etc) for my wife and I to work as hard as we have to get where we are today. Now THAT’S some real magic. Motivate someone who has modest means to work harder, earn more money and give it to you. I took it hook, line and sinker, but don’t mind at all.
    This is us too
    Brandi

I don't have another trip planned. To Disney or to anywhere. :-( We will go in 2022 with the high school band, but I hope we can also go sooner. We have no plans for a summer vacation in 2019, and I hate it! I need to plan something.
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

Quote Originally Posted by magic1106 View Post
    Someday, in a few years.
    Itís why I havenít been on the site for a while.
    Our last trip was spring 2015 with my parents. Unfortunately, their health has declined so they will not make it back and since I am their primary care giver it wonít be until they have passed that I would feel comfortable going again.
    We went to Universal this past April for an engagement celebration for my son and future daughter-in-law. We relied on my siblings helping Mom and Dad and that really didnít work out so we wonít try that again.
    I donít think I would want to go without my parents after the two amazing trips we had together.
    Itís funny how your priorities change as you age.
    I don't think that I quite have the words to tell you how fortunate you are. We always tried to get my folks to go to WDW with us and our kids. But it never worked out and now they're gone. I'm happy for you that you've had 2 amazing trips with your parents and hopefully you'll go back to WDW and have wonderful memories of them, even if they are bittersweet.

Quote Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
    I don't think that I quite have the words to tell you how fortunate you are. We always tried to get my folks to go to WDW with us and our kids. But it never worked out and now they're gone. I'm happy for you that you've had 2 amazing trips with your parents and hopefully you'll go back to WDW and have wonderful memories of them, even if they are bittersweet.
    Thank you for this. My parents are coming with us in our trip late October. I need to get an attitude adjustment about it. I was on the phone with IT for an hour this week because my dad being my dad had his own disney account with no one linked and I couldn’t make FP’s for him. BUT it is so good they want to come with us and honestly I don’t know how long they will be. My Mom was diagnosed with Parkinson’s this year and I don’t know how long relative good health and mobile will last. See now I am talking myself into booking the Halloween Party when I just said I wasn’t going too in the other thread...
    Kim

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    See now I am talking myself into booking the Halloween Party when I just said I wasn’t going too in the other thread...
    More doesn’t mean better. You’re already going to be together. FOCUS!
    -The Voice of Reason.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

-The Voice of Reason.
    And THANKS for that! I need all reason I can get when it comes to spending money at Disney.

-The Voice of Reason.
    There are times in life that less is actually more...

142 days....

I do a target budget for everything every year. Which sweetie (the wife) then ignores.

One of the line items in the budget is "Vacations" which includes a Disney trip when applicable. So, I don't technically save for a Disney trip, but I allocate a huge amount of money in the budget towards vacations generally.

Next trip is probably April 2020.
    Last edited by Alcachofa; 01-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
    Iím so sorry that you never had that opportunity. I hope you have plenty of other memories with them.
    It seems like whatever we accomplish it is never enough time with the loved ones we have lost.
    I appreciate my parents and any time I have left with them. Even if that means no WDW for a while.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    When I reflect on departed loved ones, I donít think of the things we didnít get to do.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

2 whole years - August 2020. My goal is to save enough to be able to afford a monorail resort. We just got back from a Universal only trip. It was a great time but we stopped at Poly for the Ohana breakfast on the way home because we were having withdrawal.
    Patti
    Cast: Me, DH, DD#1(19), DD#2 (17)

We are at 101 days. I told myself I wouldn't start really planning this trip (other then the dining I already set up) until after our beach trip last week. The night before we were to leave the beach I found great prices on airline tickets so away I go on being swept up in planning this upcoming trip.

All this talk of parents, mine are coming with us again with us this trip. They came in 2014 and 2015, but took a break the last two years. My brother and his wife with their two daughters are coming along as well hence why my parents are coming again. For their first trip. While all the family can make planning and sometimes things in the park more of a challenge. It is nice to have those memories with them. (I keep telling myself this after our FANTASTIC trip of just us 4 last year.) Hence a reason I got the plane tickets. The last two years we have rented a van and driven down. We've come to like that, but I didn't want my parents to have to drive. They are getting older and I know flying will be much nicer for them.

Now as for the trip. I would not charge a vacation! Save up. Even if you can't go on a large trip every year somewhere save for that larger one while taking a small trip somewhere. Personally I can never not go on a vacation every year. I need the break from my normal day to day. We set aside money each year for travel and decide where to go. Large or small. Growing up we didn't have a lot, but every year my parents took us camping for a week. Those are still great memories.
    Jessica

DS (8) and DS (6)

JUNE 1989: Fort Wilderness and Disney Inn
    MAR 1996: Offsite
    NOV 2014 and 2015: Pop Century
    JUNE 2016: Gaylord Palms/Beach
    NOV 2016: CBR
    DEC 2017 and 2018: Pop Century
    June 2019: The Grove
    September 2019: Pop Century

181 days.

We have taken my mom on 3 trips now but honestly, I don't really think she likes it. She doesn't complain but I don't see her joy being in the happiest place on Earth either. She is much more content with a multi generational "girls" trip like our trip to Newport last week. I know all the walking bothers her foot and she HATES using scooters. I'm resigned to the notion that Disney is my (nuclear) family's "thing". We all have very separate interests but our love for Disney is united.

I find the benefit of all the Disney planning is that I unintentionally space out my expenses. I buy flights as soon as Southwest opens the flights. This year we are renting points so that is paid for. I'll buy the tickets closer to the 60 day mark unless there are rumors of price increases. Since we generally visit in Feb. I can give upgrades (like Dessert parties), travel necessities, etc for Christmas gifts. Its amazing how everything in our stockings are always under 100 ml. :-) By the time we get to Disney, all I have to pay for is food and souvenirs. The other benefit of this method is I don't have to over analyze my purchases. If someone wants to spend $25 for a cro-donut and to be first in line for 7 Dwarfs, I say "'Sure!" and think about all the points my Disney visa is accumulating....
    MaryEllen

11/24 - 12/1 for me!!
    DisneyDanceMom73

2001, Oct. 2003, 2004, 2007 & 2008 - FWC; Feb. 2003, 2006, 2009 & 2011 - POP; 2016 - Poly; May 2017 - CSR​;
    2012, 2015 & Nov. 2017 - POR; Jan. 2018 - WL;
    Nov. 2018 - SSR; April 2019 - Vero Beach; Dec19/Jan 20 - CC @ WL

Please subscribe to my channel, Disney Beams:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_m5NUNMvFPvPic7bGmpHBg

Well it looks like we have rearranged our trip itinerary. DD has bowed out of the long trip due to not wanting to walk around the parks for 5 or 6 days. Setting at 33.57 funded right now.