Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Close To Your Next Trip Are You?

How Close To Your Next Trip Are You?

It seems like everytime we get close 50% saved up something falls apart and empties our rainy day fund. This time we are confident we can make it but have no set timeline. Our main hope is to be there for our 10th anniversary in 2 years but we'll take any Disney Trip we can get. I got a rough estimate without discounts and I'm going to track my goal every week. As of right now we have 21.56% of what we need. Is anyobe else this big of a stat nerd.?

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

We are definitely not stat nerds. And the reason is that I don't want to know how much we've actually spent on Disney. We bought DVC a couple of years ago to help minimize costs but of course now it just makes us go there more often. We are going this coming December, February, and April. The last time I made an estimate of what we have spent I figured that we could have bought a second home here on Cape Cod.

43 days for me. We're usually not much more than a year from our next one. We like to travel to a variety of places each year, but I can't usually stay away from Disney much more than a year at a time.
    Jen

Wow, we aren't in a place to go that often yet. It's been 8 years since our last trip (our honeymoon) and we actually haven't been on vacation every year. We are getting a little better off each year as we have both taken new jobs and since been promoted. However we live in a depressed area of Appalachia and it took some time and hard work to get rooted but we have taken a few regional trips and made 2 trips to Gatlinburg and one to Myrtle Beach in the last 5 years or so but I see Disney as a once every 3-5 year trip at best for us.

I guess one thing to ask is, how many people try to save the majority up front vs charging and paying off over time?

I wouldn't go on a vacation unless I could pay upfront. I learned the hard way in my youth that those plans to pay things off never quite work out as intended.

We plan a trip with a rough budget but never total up what we actually spent (which is always more). I don't really WANT to know.

I feel sad if we don't have another trip in the works. We weren't planning on going back this year but with free dining and friends booked, DH said, lets do it. And I'm not going to turn down a WDW trip. With the current bounceback offer I have a feeling I'll be booking next years too... !
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

My goal is once a year. However, I always like to have money upfront. I even put daily cash in an envelope for spending each day. I just fill up envelopes as I save it. (I used to save $200 a day, now it is more like $300) This money is for food and whatever else. So if I have a longer trip planned like our next trip in December(10 days), it takes longer to save. We haven't been since July of 17.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    We've been passholders for 7 years now and at one time were going 5 to 7 times a year (we spent 37 days in a Disney park one year). But now with kids in 6th and 4th grade and a lot of other stuff going on, we're actually not going to renew our passes. I think we'll take a couple years off from WDW and go back when Star Wars opens in DHS (or whatever it'll be called by then). We are much more into DCL crusing right now and have plans for potentially three cruises between now and next summer.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) ∑ Disney Institute (Jun 97) ∑ CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) ∑ BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) ∑ FW/VWL (Nov 10) ∑ Poly (Mar 11, May 11) ∑ BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) ∑ BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) ∑ SSR (Oct 11) ∑ YC (Oct 12) ∑ Swan (Oct 13) ∑ WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) ∑ Pop (Oct 14) ∑ POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) ∑ CBR (Dec 15) ∑ ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by marcteeters View Post
    I guess one thing to ask is, how many people try to save the majority up front vs charging and paying off over time?
    We went less when we were younger and when our kids were very young as we just couldn't afford it for 5 people as often. We are very fortunate now to go more often, but we still do it on a budget. I never plan a trip to anywhere without paying everything except food & incidentals up front. I tend to book early and then make a payment each month (of the total divided by the months until we go) so that I'm not paying the whole thing at the 30 day mark. It just makes it seem less painful. I usually spend cash and my Disney Visa reward dollars while we're there so I'm always within what I'm willing to spend.
    Jen

7 days from when we fly out, though our first night we spend at the airport so we are 8 days from going to WDW
    We go every 6 to 8 weeks for 4, 5 days at a time and at least once a year for 10 days (where DGD comes with us)
    We charge the entire trip and pay the majority off within the month that it's charged. If any is carried over it's paid the next month.

We now save up before. We tried the charging with a no interest deal one time and it's just that much harder to pay the bill each month when you've already been. But we don't go every year. We're on a two year plan right now because we can only currently afford one big trip a year and we'd like to get the kids to other places. But how often and how big of trip depends on my husband's bonuses. ;)

We go a couple of times a year or so, next trip is 12 days away (third trip in a 12 month period).

Everything we spend at WDW goes on a credit card for airmiles. We always pay the balance off in full once the bill arrives.
    Last edited by Boo; 08-21-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

2004 (May) - SSR / 2004 (Aug) - SSR / 2005 (May) - SSR / 2006 (Apr) - SSR, (Oct) - SSR / 2007 (May) - BWV / 2008 (Oct) - SSR / 2009 (Sep) - AKV/BLT / 2010 (Mar) - SSR/AKV, (Aug) - BWV, (Dec) - SSR / 2011 (May) - SSR, (Aug) - BCV / 2012 (Mar) - BWV, (Nov) - BWV/VWL / 2013 (Oct) - AKV/SSR / 2014 (May) - SSR / 2016 (Oct) - SSR / 2017 (Mar) - SSR, (Oct) - CCV/SSR / 2018 (Mar) - SSR/BWV, (Sep) - AKV/BCV

Not close enough

We are actually 61 days out from a couples Disney Cruise. We are flying down the night before and planning to hit Trader Sams. After the cruise, DW and I are staying over for a couple days. Originally the plan was just to do MNSSHP but she persisted on wanting to squeeze in some F&W and TS Land. Not great value but she said she was paying for it with her Etsy money. Soooo, if you like custom wire mouse ears, this is a shameless plug for The Mouse Project!
    August 2008 - Carribbean Beach
    August 2010 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
    September 2012 - Pop Century
    September 2014 - Boardwalk - 1st Food & Wine!
    June 2015 - Disney Dream - Family Honeymoon Cruise!
    December 2015 - Pop Century - 1st WDW Christmas!
    October 2016 - Disneyland
    June 2017 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    August 2018 - Port Orleans - Riverside

Concert Junkie when not at Disney

If it gets you to Disney quicker then plug away.
    Quote Originally Posted by crumjack View Post
    Not close enough

We are actually 61 days out from a couples Disney Cruise. We are flying down the night before and planning to hit Trader Sams. After the cruise, DW and I are staying over for a couple days. Originally the plan was just to do MNSSHP but she persisted on wanting to squeeze in some F&W and TS Land. Not great value but she said she was paying for it with her Etsy money. Soooo, if you like custom wire mouse ears, this is a shameless plug for The Mouse Project!

May be computer illiterate, but I figured out how to set my user title myself when no one else could!! magic1106's Avatar
    Someday, in a few years.
    Itís why I havenít been on the site for a while.
    Our last trip was spring 2015 with my parents. Unfortunately, their health has declined so they will not make it back and since I am their primary care giver it wonít be until they have passed that I would feel comfortable going again.
    We went to Universal this past April for an engagement celebration for my son and future daughter-in-law. We relied on my siblings helping Mom and Dad and that really didnít work out so we wonít try that again.
    I donít think I would want to go without my parents after the two amazing trips we had together.
    Itís funny how your priorities change as you age.

I go every time a grandchild turns seven. I am presently six years away from my next Disney World trip because that is the year my next grandchild turns seven .

For our November 2016 WDW trip, October 2017 WDW/Universal trip and upcoming October 2018 cruise, I saved everything in advance, including incidentals, by setting up an account back in October 2015 into which a set amount (increased for the 2017 trip and then for the cruise) was automatically deposited every two weeks. It was easy and stress free. Yes, due to the reduced amount of income, sacrifices were made (ie. less eating out) but it was worth it and I am going to continue the same strategy for our future June 2020 Universal park/Dream cruise trip.
    Last edited by All about me; 08-24-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls
    Oct 2018 Disney Fantasy (HotHS) Coming soon: June 2020 IoA & USF/Disney Dream

I might have overdid it. I was looking at 3 adults, 6 value resort days, 5 day park hoppers, and dining and it came up to a little over $3600, does that seem like a decent deal? Granted I'm just using it as a reference to know roughly what I need.

I might have overdid it. I was looking at 3 adults, 6 value resort days, 5 day park hoppers, and dining and it came up to a little over $3600, does that seem like a decent deal? Granted I'm just using it as a reference to know roughly what I need.
    Is that 6 days or nights?

Don't forget to budget for travel expenses, souvenir spending, ect
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls

In on December 7th out on the 12th.

Your $3600 seems reasonable without travel if you're staying at a value and can get a decent discount.

There are only two of us for this October, but 5 nights at Pop with 6 day Park Hoppers was $1800 for the two of us. I'll take $1000 for food/incidentals, but for the same time last year we actually spent $950 for food/incidentals which included meals at The Boathouse and Le Cellier among other table service meals and all other meals and some souvenirs. We also do MNSSHP when we go in October and this year we are doing the Toy Story EMM so those are added expenses that you may or may not choose to add.
    Jen

We are 22 days away. Yay! And to answer your question, we always have the cash for the entire trip before we book. I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise. But we do that with everything.

As for your pricing, it sounds about right. If you are planning on driving as well you can cut costs by bringing food and such. There was a women on these boards a few years ago that had a blog about doing disney cheaply. From what I remember they would stay in a value, bring down food with them, things like cans of soup, peanutbutter and jelly, etc. That they could make in the hotel room or pack and bring to the park with them. There are ways to do Disney cheap, or at least not as expensive. To get to your goal faster you might want to look into some of those options.
    Cindy

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    We seem to be in the (lucky) minority, because we just charge everything (points!) and paying off the credit card each month. We've never had to worry about budget or availability of funds.

The only financial dealing we do is if we sell our DVC points to fund an occasional stay at The Four Seasons. Usually the points sold for a DVC Studio nets us enough to cover a discounted Four Seasons stay, which should give you an idea of the premium that Disney charges for the privilege to be in The Bubble.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    We seem to be in the (lucky) minority, because we just charge everything (points!) and paying off the credit card each month. We've never had to worry about budget or availability of funds.

The only financial dealing we do is if we sell our DVC points to fund an occasional stay at The Four Seasons. Usually the points sold for a DVC Studio nets us enough to cover a discounted Four Seasons stay, which should give you an idea of the premium that Disney charges for the privilege to be in The Bubble.
    I don't look at it as a "need" to budget or worry about the funds, more my insane need to be in control of everything leads me to account for every penny of what we are doing with what. DH rolls his eyes at me all the time, but I honestly don't know how people function without a budget. It would drive me insane, probably how my budgeting drives normal people insane. Not joking, I have a 8 tab spreadsheet for my budget, I actually find it relaxing. Its the type A math nerd in me, can't help it. Its the same drive that leads me to fiddle with our touring plans a million times even though I know when we get to the park I will change it on the fly, its fun to make the plans and having a plan makes me feel better.
    Cindy

In on December 7th out on the 12th.
    So only four full days. Unless you can squeeze another full day by arriving really early the first day or leaving really late the last day, I think I would add a night to take full advantage of the five day park hopper tickets.

I am not sure if you are looking for a rough budget for a less expensive trip in order to go sooner or just a general budget for sometime in the future. Also be aware prices go up each year. Our 2016 one adult, one child, six nights at a value resort with five single-park tickets each would now be almost $200 more.
    Last edited by All about me; 08-24-2018 at 02:05 PM.