Thread: Do we need a car at SSR?

Do we need a car at SSR?

planning on on staying at SSR which is a new resort for us. We will have a rental car and I'm debating whether we should keep it or return it. I've heard a mixed bag about the bus transportation but I'm not crazy about paying a daily parking fee either. We would be purchasing annual passes so parks aren't a problem. FWIW- we have generally been satisfied with Disney buses (except our last stay at AoA ).

thoughts?
    Last edited by mehor; 08-20-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    MaryEllen

I always prefer to have a car. We always drive to Orlando so we don’t have the added rental expense.
    Brandi

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    I prefer a car too, but if you don't mind the buses, you can save. I suppose it's all up to what's going to make your trip more enjoyable for you.

PS: The title isn't alliteration, it's a rhyme. [/pedant]
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Need is dependent upon your tolerance level. If you generally have been OK with the buses I expect you will be at SSR. But, I do think SSR is one of the resorts where you benefit most from having a car. I remember staying there some years ago. Both girls, pretty young then, had mild but annoying colds. We ate at the QS and walked back to our room, which probably took at least 12 minutes. But then we realized we forgot some grocery item or another. So I had to go back, and it was only after doing so that we remembered that we also forgot we also needed both cough syrup and aspirin.

I was so glad we had a car, or I would have taken close to an hour roundtrip for those trips combined back to the store either walking or bus. Add in that SSR is about as far all the parks as anywhere, and the buses are slow even after you get on, and riding the SSR loop either going or coming (or half each way) and I personally would advise it if it is in your budget, even if it stings somewhat. But it is probably short of a necessity.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

I don’t think the busses are any worse at SSR than any other resort we’ve stayed at. So if you are typicallly fine with the busses, you should have no problem. Even when we have a car there, we mostly tale busses to the parks.

As far as the size of the resort, You can book a preferred room and be near the Springs or request the Paddock (which is my favorite), and have a nice, shortish walk across a bridge to get to the springs (and have a feature pool and a QS right there in the Paddock area.)

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Need is dependent upon your tolerance level. If you generally have been OK with the buses I expect you will be at SSR. But, I do think SSR is one of the resorts where you benefit most from having a car. I remember staying there some years ago. Both girls, pretty young then, had mild but annoying colds. We ate at the QS and walked back to our room, which probably took at least 12 minutes. But then we realized we forgot some grocery item or another. So I had to go back, and it was only after doing so that we remembered that we also forgot we also needed both cough syrup and aspirin.

I was so glad we had a car, or I would have taken close to an hour roundtrip for those trips combined back to the store either walking or bus. Add in that SSR is about as far all the parks as anywhere, and the buses are slow even after you get on, and riding the SSR loop either going or coming (or half each way) and I personally would advise it if it is in your budget, even if it stings somewhat. But it is probably short of a necessity.
    We had a bad experience the one time we flew and didn’t have a car. We had to get to an urgent care, get medications and grocery items. I know many if not most enjoy “the bubble” but I feel trapped.
    Brandi

In our experience, SSR has one of the best bus services of all the deluxe resorts.

We've stayed at SSR 15 times so far and have never had a car. Very occasionally we have to wait 20 minutes or so for a bus, but it's usually more like 5-10 minutes. Very doable in my opinion.

2004 (May) - SSR / 2004 (Aug) - SSR / 2005 (May) - SSR / 2006 (Apr) - SSR, (Oct) - SSR / 2007 (May) - BWV / 2008 (Oct) - SSR / 2009 (Sep) - AKV/BLT / 2010 (Mar) - SSR/AKV, (Aug) - BWV, (Dec) - SSR / 2011 (May) - SSR, (Aug) - BCV / 2012 (Mar) - BWV, (Nov) - BWV/VWL / 2013 (Oct) - AKV/SSR / 2014 (May) - SSR / 2016 (Oct) - SSR / 2017 (Mar) - SSR, (Oct) - CCV/SSR / 2018 (Mar) - SSR/BWV, (Sep) - AKV/BCV

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that we are renting DVC points (1st time) so I don't think we have control over room location. We honestly never had issues with buses (we don't have public transportation here so its a bit of a novelty) with the exception of AoA and Pop (nightmare!) We walked a fair bit on property at Coronado but had dreamy experiences every time we stayed at POR and POFQ.

If you do rent a car, how much time do you feel like you save? Like for rope drop?
    MaryEllen

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mehor View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that we are renting DVC points (1st time) so I don't think we have control over room location. We honestly never had issues with buses (we don't have public transportation here so its a bit of a novelty) with the exception of AoA and Pop (nightmare!) We walked a fair bit on property at Coronado but had dreamy experiences every time we stayed at POR and POFQ.

If you do rent a car, how much time do you feel like you save? Like for rope drop?
    As long as you have your reservation number you can make requests either during online check-in or (better) with Touring Plans’ service.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Room location doesn't really make that much of a difference at SSR, since each section has its own bus stop. At most you'll be 2-3 minutes away which is a lot less than some of the other DVC resorts.

2004 (May) - SSR / 2004 (Aug) - SSR / 2005 (May) - SSR / 2006 (Apr) - SSR, (Oct) - SSR / 2007 (May) - BWV / 2008 (Oct) - SSR / 2009 (Sep) - AKV/BLT / 2010 (Mar) - SSR/AKV, (Aug) - BWV, (Dec) - SSR / 2011 (May) - SSR, (Aug) - BCV / 2012 (Mar) - BWV, (Nov) - BWV/VWL / 2013 (Oct) - AKV/SSR / 2014 (May) - SSR / 2016 (Oct) - SSR / 2017 (Mar) - SSR, (Oct) - CCV/SSR / 2018 (Mar) - SSR/BWV, (Sep) - AKV/BCV

We always drive and tend to drive to all parks except MK. This is good info for me since we are staying at SSR for the 1st time in November.
    DisneyDanceMom73

2001, Oct. 2003, 2004, 2007 & 2008 - FWC; Feb. 2003, 2006, 2009 & 2011 - POP; 2016 - Poly; May 2017 - CSR​;
    2012, 2015 & Nov. 2017 - POR; Jan. 2018 - WL;
    Nov. 2018 - SSR; April 2019 - Vero Beach; Dec19/Jan 20 - CC @ WL

Please subscribe to my channel, Disney Beams:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_m5NUNMvFPvPic7bGmpHBg