Thread: iPhone Camera Apps 2018

iPhone Camera Apps 2018

Hello. There is an older iPhone app thread, but apps have come a LONG way since 2012. I recently lost my Canon compact camera, and was looking for an apps that can hold me over until I get a new camera.

Are there apps that let you play with the depth of field, for example? I have an iPhone7, btw. I wouldn't be surprised if the 8 does things the 7 can't do.

And I'm talking real photography apps, not recommendations for Instagram or Hipstamatic and the like. (NTTAWWT)

Thanks.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    I'm interested in this too, though I still have my 4 year-old iPhone 6. I suppose I could search online for answers, but I always prefer getting recommendations from "real" people.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Go to the App store Today tab for Tuesday, 8/14. So happens to be a topic.
    Last edited by AngiTN; 08-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Besides using the actual Photoshop app, I like ColorStory best for editing.
    Depth of field is best achieved using the Portrait mode within the actual iPhone camera settings, but I believe that's a newer feature, for 7plus and more recent versions.
    There is a way to take photos, in Instagram story, that allows for a decent focus option, however I think it has to recognize an actual face.

I remembered 2 other apps I've downloaded from past stories featured on the App Store Today tab
    I haven't tried them much, just they were recommended apps
    Focos
    Snapseed

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    You have to kind of fake depth of field since the apertures are fixed. There are many apps that will blur the background for a simulated effect. Portrait mode on the iPhone X simulates it using its second camera. But neither is really adjustable the way you can with a dslr.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    This is with a free free app called “Fore” that offers some manual adjustments to the background and degree of blur. Fore, and I think all of the apps, perform the adjustments on a picture you’ve already taken (I.e., you’re not taking the photo with the app).

C8FDDF38-A094-478B-A3D4-A483B27B11BB.jpg

0F4A3AE8-D317-4B7C-8B6D-8E68E106D7AC.jpg

454EDDB4-EC6F-4351-8086-B06627CC3F68.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Thanks, y'all!

For some reason I thought there were "pro" apps you actually took the picture with, but I guess it makes sense that they would only adjust the picture the way these apps do anyway. I'll keep looking too and let you know if I find anything of interest.

I've used Camera+. It has the ability to even shoot RAW though I haven't tried it and can't speak to the quality. But you can set Exposure and Focus points separately - will have to play with it a bit to get used to the functions. I was able to take better pictures of the castle during HEA with this app than standard Apple Photo app. I think you can purchase filters as well, if that's your thing.

https://iphonephotographyschool.com/camera-plus/
    Last edited by geek1997; 08-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Probably not what you want to know but watching the announcement for the new iPhone launch right now, the new 10S and 10sMax phones will have the ability to adjust depth of field to the photo after it's taken. Pretty spiffy. You can watch them play with the change in the bokeh in a portrait mode photo in the presentation.

I definitely can learned a lot from this. Can’t wait to put it all into action.
    http://fixthephoto.com/free-action-retro-photoshop
    Last edited by AmyLyons; 09-19-2019 at 10:16 AM.

I ended up replacing the camera I mentioned in the OP. So, I ended up not doing much more investigative work on the apps. I still have my iPhone 7.