Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mousekeeping & DVC

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Why is checkout day different? And what if you're only there one night.
    Because they’re prepping the room for the benefit of the next guest.

If I’m there one night, I don’t tip.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    With DVC there's a lot more for housekeeping to do at the end of the stay to get the room ready for the next guest beyond changing the sheets and towels so I tip a little more at the end of the stay to reflect that.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

I usually leave more on check out day, because they have more to do. Usually during a normal hotel stay they don't do a full cleaning every day, change bedding, scrub out the room totally, etc. But they will do those things between guests. So I tend to leave more on check out day.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I take a piece of the scratch paper and write ďHOUSEKEEPING - Thanks!Ē and tuck the bill into it.
    This is us. That's why there's free pad of paper and pen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by geek1997 View Post
    This is us. That's why there's free pad of paper and pen, right?
    I thought it was to write "Can we please have extra shampoo?"

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Ha! I usually use the notepad too. Now that I have toddlers I’m always looking for ways to keep them busy. My son has been very into helping lately, so I figured he’d like to be in charge of something - tightly supervised of course since money is involved!

Wrong they’re drawing pages for kids.
    Brandi

The amounts being quoted here seemed awfully high so I asked two people I know who are Disney Vacation Club members.

My friend's mother said, during the ten years before retirement, they would usually tip $3 for every full service day they had during their stay and leave it in one lump sum at the end of their stay. Since retirement, they only tip for exceptional service and haven't seen any (she is of the opinion Disney has gone down hill terribly in the last five years).

My extended family member said they probably leave about $10 for a ten day or less stay and $20 for an eleven day or greater stay but don't really think about it so if they only have, say, $7 in small bills when checking-out, that is what they leave.
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls
    Oct 2018 Disney Fantasy (HotHS) Coming soon: June 2020 IoA & USF/Disney Dream

Quote Originally Posted by All about me View Post
    The amounts being quoted here seemed awfully high so I asked two people I know who are Disney Vacation Club members.

My friend's mother said, during the ten years before retirement, they would usually tip $3 for every full service day they had during their stay and leave it in one lump sum at the end of their stay. Since retirement, they only tip for exceptional service and haven't seen any (she is of the opinion Disney has gone down hill terribly in the last five years).

My extended family member said they probably leave about $10 for a ten day or less stay and $20 for an eleven day or greater stay but don't really think about it so if they only have, say, $7 in small bills when checking-out, that is what they leave.
    You're making distinctions between leaving $3 or $5 or even $10 or $20? During a vacation that's costing thousands of dollars? You seem to be making this into a contest.

My thinking is just leave the money for those who really need it.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by All about me View Post
    Since retirement, they only tip for exceptional service and haven't seen any (she is of the opinion Disney has gone down hill terribly in the last five years).
    I agree with George and I tried to make a similar point above. Additionally, the view that tipping is only reserved for “exceptional service” completely disregards the way compensation works in the service industry. If you dislike the system (and there and MANY reasons to dislike the system), taking it out on the lowest paid workers is a really crappy way to show it.

he's right
    We always stay for a week a 1BR with 2 people in it, I would be inclined to:

Leave $2 per trash-only day
    Leave $5 for trash+towel day
    Leave $10 for check-out day.

Mousekeeping is not a tipped position. It is stated in their contract. We pay dues to cover housekeeping. If you want to tip these people, great. But they are not supposed to be taking tips. Blast away....

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    We always stay for a week a 1BR with 2 people in it, I would be inclined to:

Leave $2 per trash-only day
    Leave $5 for trash+towel day
    Leave $10 for check-out day.
    I like this. Good plan!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite2 View Post
    Mousekeeping is not a tipped position. It is stated in their contract. We pay dues to cover housekeeping. If you want to tip these people, great. But they are not supposed to be taking tips. Blast away....
    I doubt they've signed an agreement not to take tips. We also pay dues to have bell and valet services available at our disposal; I tip them too.

How did you get a copy of their contract?

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite2 View Post
    Mousekeeping is not a tipped position. It is stated in their contract.
    A quick search shows this official answer from Walt Disney World regarding whether it's appropriate to leave a tip for housekeeping ("mousekeeping"):

The general etiquette for gratuity for housekeeping ranges from $1-$5 a day. Since you may have many "mousekeepers" throughout your stay, you may want to leave your gratuity every night, although leaving one tip at the end of the week is also acceptable. Tipping is never required, but it is greatly appreciated for all of their hard work.
    Source: https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney....eeping-175388/

he's right
    I've heard the "not a tipped position" before, and I've never been able to find anyone who could point to evidence for it beyond "that's what people on the DIS Budget Board say."

If you are someone who routinely doesn't tip hotel cleaning staff, I'm judging you. Hard.

I've heard the "not a tipped position" before, and I've never been able to find anyone who could point to evidence for it beyond "that's what people on the DIS Budget Board say."

If you are someone who routinely doesn't tip hotel cleaning staff, I'm judging you. Hard.
    Iíve never heard that before and it seems very silly. We didnít have cash for a bell person when we were at hotel up in Maine this spring. We went out of our way to find out who it was and left him something the next day on our way out. Tipping is part of the vacation budget!!

These threads always deteriorate into arguments. Avoiding talk of sex, politics, religion, and money is generally expected in polite conversation, and this forum is pretty good about self-policing when it comes to the first three—well, two really. This place is pretty family-friendly. Anyway, how one spends their money is just as personal.

There’s nothing special or unique to DVC when it comes to tipping. If someone is not sure how, when, how much to tip in any given situation, can we please encourage them to please just google it and read one of the tens of thousands of published articles on it, or search forums for prior threads. Trust me, this issue has been covered.
    Brandi

he's right
    Just wait until the issue of buffet vs. full-service comes up!

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    There’s nothing special or unique to DVC when it comes to tipping.
    In the context of Walt Disney World accommodations, there often is: housekeeping is responsible for cleaning a full kitchen, and often, multiple bedrooms. That's far different from cleaning a studio with one or two beds, and in my opinion, warrants a higher level of gratuity.

In the context of Walt Disney World accommodations, there often is: housekeeping is responsible for cleaning a full kitchen, and often, multiple bedrooms. That's far different from cleaning a studio with one or two beds, and in my opinion, warrants a higher level of gratuity.
    This is exactly why I asked. We are new to DVC. Weíre staying in a one bedroom villa and Iím used to daily service in a regular room. I appreciate everyoneís feedback and it was very helpful for me!! Especially those cute envelopes!!!

Just wait until the issue of buffet vs. full-service comes up!
    I donít know anything about this argument but Iím afraid to even ask!!!

I get it, but that wasn’t really my point. Discussion regarding how one “ought to” spend discretionary funds, tipping (which is also the issue in the full service vs buffet debate) causes arguments. My point was you can google “tipping mouse keeping in DVC” and get a whole page of results and avoid the inevitable.
    Brandi

True, and you could google almost every question anyone asks here and find a similar question already answered.

Yes, but they don’t result in arguing.
    Brandi