Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mousekeeping & DVC

Mousekeeping & DVC

50 more days for us! I'm working on last minute items for the trip. This will be our first DVC visit so I'm trying to figure out what I need to bring for mousekeeping tips. We're staying Saturday - Wednesday, so the trash & towel service will come Tuesday. Do we only leave a tip that day or should we leave a tip on our departure day as well? I usually try to leave a tip out each day, in case the mousekeeper changes.

Also, I'm trying to decide if I should add additional days of towel service. What are people's experience with mousekeeping at DVC? I am trying to decide how much I'll miss having my bed made LOL

TYIA!!!

Mousekeeping is now a trash service every day with towel change on the fourth day. We are relatively new DVC owners and have used our points 3 times now and I understand the bed making question because I wondered myself. Honestly, I don't miss it one bit and I even think that I like it better.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxGal View Post
    50 more days for us! I'm working on last minute items for the trip. This will be our first DVC visit so I'm trying to figure out what I need to bring for mousekeeping tips. We're staying Saturday - Wednesday, so the trash & towel service will come Tuesday. Do we only leave a tip that day or should we leave a tip on our departure day as well? I usually try to leave a tip out each day, in case the mousekeeper changes.

Also, I'm trying to decide if I should add additional days of towel service. What are people's experience with mousekeeping at DVC? I am trying to decide how much I'll miss having my bed made LOL

TYIA!!!
    $15 on towel day and $5 when checking out?? Does that sound ok?
    If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, you won't get the reference.

Thank you for asking this! Our next stay will be our first DVC as well and I was wondering what to do about tips.

that's a shame
    FWIW, we're a family of 5 and when we stay for a week, using the $1/person/day formula, we leave $20 on trash/towel day and $20 when we check out.

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    They do trash every day, more for the "room check" (read: Las Vegas shooting) than the desire to keep your trashcan empty. And they'll knock on the door relentlessly shouting, "Housekeeping!" even if the Do Not Disturb sign is out.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Good to know about the Do Not Disturb sign. Last time we went they were not doing the room checks yet. I am one of those people who tended to leave the sign on the door because we clean up after ourselves and didn't want people in our room. I need to remember not to bother with the sign next time.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    They do trash every day, more for the "room check" (read: Las Vegas shooting) than the desire to keep your trashcan empty. And they'll knock on the door relentlessly shouting, "Housekeeping!" even if the Do Not Disturb sign is out.
    And we've had several times where they just empty one of the trash cans and are on their way leaving the rest.

Not only that but the supervisor will call and leave messages on the phone..
    We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Who knew?! Crazy. I donít care so much about the beds and such itís really the towels, especially if we use the pool a good amount. There will be 5 of us so the $5 a day sounds good. Though if they barely take the trash and do nothing else, Iím inclined to only leave something on the towel day(s) and last day. I thought as a fun airplane activity my son could make some envelopes and be in charge of leaving the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You’re right. After we didn’t answer the door (it was in the middle of our afternoon break - on two different days!) the phone rang.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxGal View Post
    I don’t care so much about the beds and such it’s really the towels, especially if we use the pool a good amount.
    Is there a reason you don't just use the towels at the pool?
    I am @GrtBigBeautiful on DizTwitterô

I didn't know they started doing trash every day. If all they are doing is cleaning trash I don't think I would leave them a full tip either. We usually do $4-5 a day for the three of us in a regular hotel room, but we've always done DVC differently, on trash and towel day we would usually leave $4-5 but then we would leave $10 on a full clean day or when we were checking out, because that person seems to be doing the hard work on those days in my mind, changing the bedding, cleaning the floors, and doing the big clean before the next family. With the new trash removal every day system I am not sure if I will leave a tip, but if I do it will probably be $1-2 since all they are doing is trash.
    Cindy

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    It’s easy to get into an unpleasant debate about tipping online, so please forgive me for wading in. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but just an observation we’ve made and the decision our family has arrived at. We used to scrutinize whether this day is a $2 or $3 day or whether that day is a $5 day and we’ve just decided that for the extra couple bucks difference (nearly meaningless to us as part of our overall vacation cost), we’ll just tip them all. I just tipped the turn down lady $5 for four chocolates. That $5 is probably more meaningful to her than it is to us - we’re very lucky/blessed/fortunate/whatever word you want to use. Your family’s approach may be different, but that’s what we do.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

that's a shame
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    It’s easy to get into an unpleasant debate about tipping online, so please forgive me for wading in. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but just an observation we’ve made and the decision our family has arrived at. We used to scrutinize whether this day is a $2 or $3 day or whether that day is a $5 day and we’ve just decided that for the extra couple bucks difference (nearly meaningless to us as part of our overall vacation cost), we’ll just tip them all. I just tipped the turn down lady $5 for four chocolates. That $5 is probably more meaningful to her than it is to us - we’re very lucky/blessed/fortunate/whatever word you want to use. Your family’s approach may be different, but that’s what we do.
    That's a great approach/outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeite View Post
    Is there a reason you don't just use the towels at the pool?
    We do but I have to shower after the pool, which sometimes means more than one a day!

I didnít even think about my post being awkward. I hope itís not a faux pas to ask! I appreciate everyoneís help. We are also very grateful for being able to have such wonderful vacations and want to show our appreciation, especially for those in the service industry who often rely on tips. I think the tip on towel days and checkout day seems reasonable and fair. Now Iím off to Pinterest to find cute envelope ideas! So much better than folding laundry :)

I know you mentioned your son would decorate the envelopes, but if you change your mind, here is a link to the ones we use:
    https://wdwprepschool.com/printable-...ney-envelopes/

My husband balked at the $5/day the first trip, now he just figures it into the budget. Does everyone tip the same way on non-Disney trips? I never even thought about it before Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by geek1997 View Post
    My husband balked at the $5/day the first trip, now he just figures it into the budget. Does everyone tip the same way on non-Disney trips? I never even thought about it before Disney.
    I do $5 every day (except check-out day) at other hotels.

Stupid Judy.

We use these ones too, love them!!

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
    I know you mentioned your son would decorate the envelopes, but if you change your mind, here is a link to the ones we use:

Same

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
    Those are cute. I am so lazy, I usually just have a regular plain white envelope and write mousekeeping on the front.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    Those are cute. I am so lazy, I usually just have a regular plain white envelope and write mousekeeping on the front.
    I take a piece of the scratch paper and write “HOUSEKEEPING - Thanks!” and tuck the bill into it.

Stupid Judy.

I just leave it laying on the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Same
    Why is checkout day different? And what if you're only there one night.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge