Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A much needed vacation from reality, June 8-17, 2018

A much needed vacation from reality, June 8-17, 2018

Backstory:

We were planning to go back to WDW late May/early June 2019, right after our oldest son graduates from high school. Sometime around Christmas, I started thinking that maybe it would be better to go in 2018, before he starts his senior year. You know, because there will be parties and things going on right after graduation that he won't want to miss, and then it will be time to start getting him ready to go to college, and besides--Disney sooner than later is always better! I talked to DH and he sort of agreed but wasn't sure if we could make it work out. I started researching the one thing I had said we would never, ever do--staying offsite. Gasp! I read and read and asked a couple of questions and decided that Windsor Hills would work out for us; we always use our car at WDW instead of the buses anyway, except for MK, so how much different could it be? Besides, our boys will NOT sleep in the same bed. We have fixed that by staying in a moderate resort and bringing an air mattress, which works fine but takes up more space. In January, I started seeing rumors of ticket price increases and I knew we needed to decide if we were going and get tickets before the prices went up. Well, maybe we didn't really *need* to, but it was motivation to make a decision, and I'll take what I can get! We decided on a Friday that we were going for sure. I had dates worked out so that we would stay 7 nights and have 7-day PH tickets, but DH said he was thinking we should stay 9 nights but take a day off completely and go to Kennedy Space Center one day. Longer trip? Yes! I had already been looking at condos and townhouses at Windsor Hills, so I filled out the form online, hit send and waited for the replies to come with openings and quotes. I ordered 6 day + 1 day "free" PH tickets from UT on Saturday, which saved about $200 on current prices, and the prices went up on Sunday. Score! The quotes came for a place to stay, and we had decided a condo would be fine; the townhouses all had a private splash pool, but that wouldn't do much for two teenagers, so we didn't really need it. I said that I didn't have a preference and DH should just pick the one he liked best and book it. The one he liked wasn't the one I would have picked, but I didn't say anything. He emailed the owner, they talked on the phone twice, and it was taken care of (it could have been done all by email, but he wanted to talk to a person and had a couple of questions). I started a spreadsheet of park hours, etc., and planned out our park days, decided on a day off and a day for KSC. All was well. I made FP at 30 days out and wasn't able to get either 7DMT or FoP, but I had expected that and I got everything else that I wanted. I knew to keep looking for FP, and ten days before we were to leave, I found FP for 7DMT.

We were to leave on Tuesday, May 29. On Tuesday, May 22, I saw a missed call on my cell phone from DH and then my work phone rang, and it showed that he was calling on that line. He normally doesn't do that. I answered the phone, and he said that he was on his way to his parents house because his dad had fallen 15 feet from a ladder onto concrete and was being flown to a trauma center. Very long story short, FIL had suffered severe brain trauma as well as several broken bones. We didn't know for a couple of days what was going to happen at all, but there was no way we were going to Florida a week after it happened. He called the condo owner and asked if there was any way we could reschedule. The contract said no refunds within 30 days, we understood it and didn't have a problem if she said no, but it didn't hurt to ask. She said that the WH condo was rented most of the rest of the summer, but she also owned a condo at Windsor Palms that was available later in the month and that she would be happy to transfer our reservation if we could get everything else taken care of. FIL's surgeries were scheduled for the following week, the first one the day we were supposed to arrive in FL. After talking to the doctors and MIL, we decided to move our vacation to June 8-17. The surgeries would be done by then, we would know much more about his condition and prognosis, and the main thing after that would be for him to rest and heal. The condo owner agreed, the changes were officially done by email, and it was time to start planning again. At 12 days out.

I looked and looked at my spreadsheet, and I just couldn't make anything work. My perspective on the trip had changed completely, and I knew it would eventually work itself out, and it would be fine. I finally deleted the entire thing and started over. I started looking at what FP were available for what day and went from there. I came up with a sort of plan. I couldn't fit KSC in, and I wasn't thrilled with the plan, but it would work. And if it didn't, we would make it up as we went. It didn't really matter anymore anyway, it wasn't that important. FIL's surgeries went well, and things there settled down quite a bit. He was out of the woods medically, it was time to heal and recover. A few days before we left, I was checking for FP as I had been doing, and FoP popped up! Then I found one for another day! I had to switch MK and AK to get the first one, but that wasn't a problem. When I went to redo MK FP for the new date, 7DMT was there for both MK days! Jackpot!
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

June 7 & 8
    Travel

We left home around 9:00 on Thursday, June 7. There really isn't much to say about the first day of driving, we loaded the van and drove! Our route is usually US 35 in WV to I-77 until Columbia, SC, then I-26 over to I-95 to I-4. Someone at work told me about using 321 from just south of Columbia to get over to I-95 just a few miles from the SC/GA border. I-26 has been terrible the last two times we've driven down, and 95 in SC is always bad because it is two lane, so why not? It worked out very well for us. Google showed that 321 was a few miles shorter distance wise and about 20 minutes longer time wise, but it was mostly 2 lane and there was very little traffic, which was great for me. We stopped at exit 109 just north of Savannah for the night.

We couldn't check in to the condo until 4:00 on Friday and we didn't have park tickets for that day, so we weren't in a hurry to get to Windsor Palms. We left Savannah about 9:00 and took a little detour out to Port Orange to have lunch at Aunt Catfish's. If you haven't eaten there, you should! After lunch, we found a public parking area at Daytona Beach, thinking we would take a little walk before we went the rest of the way. We did take a little walk on the beach, a very little walk. About 3 minutes after we got on the beach, we saw lightning, followed by thunder, so we went back to the van. There had been construction on I-95 before our exit, and we still had a couple hours until check in, so we looked at Google maps and decided to go down Highway 1 and take 44 across to I-4. About 10 minutes down 1, a landscaping truck went by and I noticed twigs flying out of the back of it. It went into the other lane ahead of us, and then out of nowhere, a huge rock hit our windshield--I *think* it came from the truck but I'm not sure, it happened too fast. We heard a huge cracking noise, DS15 thought it was a gun shot, but it wasn't. There was, however, a very nice looking bullseye, about 3-1/2 inches around, right in the driver's line of sight over the steering wheel. Craptacular.

IMG_4025.jpg

Sorry that picture is huge, I posted from my phone and don't know to resize it.

Anyway, we found Windsor Palms easily, checked in at the guard house and moved in to our condo. This was our first trip offsite, and the condo really worked well for us. DH called the insurance company to see about getting the windshield fixed and he made an appointment for it in Lakeland on Wednesday, which was our day off from the parks. We went to the grocery store and got what we needed for a few days and had a relaxing evening in the condo. We were going to go to the pool, but it started to storm, so we stayed in.
    Last edited by Momofpirates; 06-24-2018 at 07:06 PM.

2018 Windsor Palms

The storms were pretty gnarly the night you arrived. Everyone was taking pictures of the Tower of Terror with the ominous black clouds swirling behind. Everyone but me, apparently. I don't have anything to show for it.

Too bad about your windshield! And on vacation. Ugh. I hope your father-in-law has been continuing to make progress.
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

I'm so glad you were able to make the trip work and that your FIL is improving. I hope that continues to be the case.
    Jen

near Cleveland OH (but out in the country)
    I'm so glad things worked out and your FIL is improving! Brought back memories of having to cancel a WDW trip 24 hours before we were supposed to get in the car to drive to FL (youngest son got a severe concussion in MS wrestling). Not fun, but all reservations were moved out 1 year or canceled free of charge with no hassles... you just can't beat Disney customer service (and it obviously spills over to non-Disney businesses in the area!)

Splinteroh, you're right about great customer service, and at the time, it almost doesn't matter anyway.

Thank you all for the kind words about my FIL. We are hoping he will move to a rehab facility soon.

2018 Windsor Palms

near Cleveland OH (but out in the country)
    please come back once in a while and keep us posted on your FIL

June 9, 2018
    Hollywood Studios

FP 9:05-10:05 ToT
    10:05-11:05 Star Tours
    11:05-12:05 Toy Story Mania

Hollywood (Studios), here we come! I love HS, even though I donít do most of the rides there. I just like the atmosphere, I guess. We left the condo a little later than planned this morning, but the drive (via Sherberth Rd) wasnít too long, maybe 12-15 minutes. There was a smaller, 2-lane entrance to HS that was much closer to our condo, but we werenít sure if it was an actual entrance or just for CMs or what, so we went to the main entrance. The construction in the parking lot was something else, but we finally got parked. We were at the tapstiles by 8:15. I love, love the excitement on your first day at Disney, while you're waiting for the park to open.

We went straight to TSM and rode standby, no wait until we got to the loading area. The wait time showed 45 minutes but we were on at 9:01 and off by 9:12. DH did ToT w/FP while waited, and then he did RnR using the single rider line. The boys and I walked through some shops, not really looking for anything in particular. They were looking at phone cases in a store near the front of the park, and we heard Star Wars music starting! We walked outside in time to see the March of the First Order coming around the Crossroads thing and moved up to the edge of the sidewalk to watch. We watched them march by and on their way to the stage. The last time we were there, they had come out from the Launch Bay area, I didnít realize it had changed, but I think going all the way up the street made it easier to see them. We finished looking at phone cases then walked back up the street and sort of watched the last of their show, and then they marched by again. I saw the two in the very back sort of looking down, partway turned around, like they were watching something. There was a tiny little trooper at the end! A little guy that looked to be about 3 years old, wearing a Stormtrooper costume. He was marching behind them, and it was so cute!

Thinking DH was probably done with RnR by now, we went back that way and DS17 wanted to look at the pins beside Sunset Ranch. He looked around awhile and finally decided on a mystery set of something. He didnít get the ones he wanted (big surprise!) but he liked what he got anyway. He thought he might try to trade one of them later on, but I donít think he did. DH found us there, and we went to Star Tours to use our FP. We didnít realize they had closed off the path by Olaf, so we had to turn around and go the other way by ABC Commissary. After Star Tours, we were getting hungry, so we decided to use our TSM FP and then have lunch. After we tapped in, I was able to get another TSM FP for the evening.

Launch Bay was up after lunch. We watched the 10-minute commercial, I mean film, about upcoming episodes and then went in to the display area. DS15 had asked about seeing Chewie, but his wait was posted at 20 minutes, and he didnít want to wait that long. BB8 was also 20 minutes, and he didnít want to wait for that either. We went into the shop to look around. DS17 wanted one of the phone cases you pick on the computer, and he ordered that. It was going to be about a half hour before it was ready, so we went to watch Muppets and then went back to Launch Bay to pick up the phone case. When we were leaving the HS parking lot, we missed the sign that we needed to be in the left lane to go back to 192, and we had to go right, so we drove all the way to Typhoon Lagoonóthe first place we came to that we could pull into to turn around and were still at the condo 30 minutes after we left HS. Not too bad! After that, we saw a few people doing U-turns at the stoplights, which we didnít even think of.

We all got ready and went to the pool. It wasnít crowded and the water was warm but not too warm. DH and DS17 were done swimming before DS15 was, so they went back to the condo and DH put a lasagna and garlic bread in the oven for dinner. I threw a load of laundry in when I got back from the pool and put it in the dryer that night before we went to bed. Side note: We did that several times this trip, but it never felt like I was constantly doing laundry, like it does at home. Our washer and dryer was in a closet in the entry hallway, right at the doorway to the kitchen. We put the laundry basket on top of the dryer for dirty clothes, and when it was full, one of us turned the washer on, put the clothes in and threw in a tide pod. Later on, someone tossed it in the dryer and turned it on when we were leaving for a park, returning from a park, getting a snack or whatever. We didn't bother to separate anything, which is probably horrible, but my momma will never know!

2018 Windsor Palms

When we got back to HS, we had to park WAY in the back (it was 5:15), so we used the tram--DS15 used to call it "the beep-beep bus" when he was little, and he always wanted to ride even when we stayed onsite--to get to the gate. We went to TSMM to use our FP. After we tapped in, we made another FP for TSMM later that evening. We would be back to HS later in the trip, but TSMM was closing before that, and there is really nothing else there that we all like to do. We loaded and the ride started, but something was wrong with our car (and the one attached to it), and the games didn’t load. We could see the people in front of us playing, but when our car got to the game, it didn’t do anything. We rode all the way through looking at empty screens, and DH told the CM at the unloading area. They had all 8 of us get out and stand to the side. The CM opened the side of the car and did something, and they sent it through empty. They put us in another set of cars so we could ride again, and it was fine.

Some of our friends were at HS that evening, and we met up with them when they got off ToT. We stood and talked for a while, and they had FP for TSMM that overlapped ours, so we all went to ride together. We rode on the 3rd (newest) track this time, that was a first for us. We hadn't even noticed them using it the other times we rode today, but maybe they were. We went over to Star Tours and the kids rode with no wait at all while we talked more. They were going back to ToT to ride again, and we went to find a place to watch the Star Wars fireworks. CMs had just put tape on the ground at the corner where you turn to go towards H & V and 50’s Prime Time, so we got right up to the line. It was a good spot because even though there were people in front of us, there was about a 4-foot walkway in between us and no one could stand right in front of us. We got there about 15 or 20 minutes before the show started, so it wasn’t too long of a wait. There was a CM walking in the walkway, telling people they couldn't stop there, they had to be inside the tape lines, etc. I don't think I would like to have that job! The show wasn’t bad, but none of us liked it as well as the previous SW fireworks show. We made our way out of the park and walked back to our car. Looking at the crowd at the tram pick up, I’m sure walking was faster. We were able to get in the correct lane leaving HS this time and made it back to the condo in about 15 minutes. It was a good day at HS

2018 Windsor Palms

We had to backtrack to get to Star Tours too. They had signs, but not very good ones.

Three rides on Toy Story is pretty good. Well, I know it was technically four, but it doesn't count if you can play!
    That does sound like a great day at Hollywood Studios!
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

Technically it was five, but we played four times! I was happy with it. I did see the signs for Star Tours, but it didn't register what they meant. Maybe I'm like the teenagers...

2018 Windsor Palms

I'm impressed with 4 plays on Toy Story mania. My oldest and I have a 3 ride/day rule for TSMM or our shoulders get sore...we are terribly competitive, though!
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    I'm impressed with 4 plays on Toy Story mania. My oldest and I have a 3 ride/day rule for TSMM or our shoulders get sore...we are terribly competitive, though!
    I was amazed that the FP kept popping up. There was another one after the last one we used, but we wanted to watch the SW fireworks, so we didn't book it.

2018 Windsor Palms

Sunday, June 10
    Magic Kingdom

FP 9:10-10:10 Space Mountain
    10:10-11:10 Buzz Lightyear
    2:00-3:00 7DMT

We had planned to leave the condo by 7:15 this morning because we weren’t sure how long it would take to get in the park because of the TTC and boat/monorail. We were running behind (this is becoming a habit!), but we left the parking lot at 7:23 and we were parked at the TTC 23 minutes later (used Sherberth Road). We were parked in the second row back, which wasn’t bad at all. We walked to the over and went through security easily; we did have to do the metal detector today as well. It didn’t look like the boat was running yet, and they were sending everyone up the monorail platform. We got right on a waiting monorail and it left a couple minutes later. I was hoping the monorail didn't break down--we got stuck for about 30 minutes on one several years ago and I have been leery of them ever since! We had to stop briefly inside the Contemporary for “traffic” and again a little before the MK monorail station. We were off the monorail at 8:01 a.m. Not bad at all!

I got separated from the others at the tap styles and I couldn’t find the rest of my family. I blame the group in front of me that didn’t know how to work their tickets, and I got behind those people almost every time. I went under the train station on the right side, where we always go in, but they weren’t there. I called DH after I got through and asked where he was and he said, “right here”. Uh…..ok? He told me where he was and I was able to find him, but I was not happy and it bothered me a lot more than it should have. Tired, anyone? Mommy might need a nap. I was starting to regret that I had told a couple of people here to look for DS17's shoes to recognize me; I was embarrassed because of my attitude. We made our way to the castle and the rope that was just to the left of it, on the bridge to Liberty Square. We were there by 8:15 or so, so we had a while to wait, but we were only a few people back from the rope. Time passed fairly quickly, and we were off to Peter Pan! Well, sort of. We tried to take the path behind the castle, and it was still closed off. I had read about that happening, but I thought it was the path up from the front of the castle that didn’t open with the park. We went around the shops and over by Columbia Harbor House, and I just knew that the line was getting longer and longer…..but it wasn’t. Not today. Peter Pan was down. What? It is supposed to be first today, get it done so we don’t wait later. Uh, uh, uh…it threw me off and I couldn’t decide what we should do. We were going towards Tomorrowland and Space Mountain, and I saw that the wait for Winnie the Pooh was only 5 minutes. We haven’t ridden it for a few trips, Chris has always liked WtP. I said if we are going to ride it this trip, we should do it now. Bad call. We got in the line and I knew it wasn’t going to be 5 minutes, there was no way. There was a huge family group in front of us—you know, the ones with the matching t-shirts that never seem to know what they are doing, but they won’t get out of the way while they figure it out—but apparently some of them hadn’t gotten in line yet, so they all just stopped, blocking the whole queue by the little play area. Finally, grandpa (?) said that the others should go on, and he and grandma would wait for the rest of the group and let the little ones play. Thank you, grandpa! We ended up waiting about 15 minutes, and I was still pouting about getting left behind earlier. WtP was the same as I remembered, although it didn’t break down this time, and we didn’t have to be walked off—thank goodness, that probably would have pushed me over the edge at that point!

On to Tomorrowland! DH and DS15 took all 4 magic bands and went to ride Space Mountain twice with our FPs. DS17 and I went to ride Buzz Lightyear, which showed a 15-minute wait, but it wasn’t that long. He has always loved Buzz, anything Toy Story, really. It was his favorite movie when he was little and it seems to have stuck with him (don't tell anyone, he wouldn't want people to know!). Neither of us scored very well; I had a whopping 18,000, and DS' wasn’t too much higher than that—must have been something wrong with our guns! We got in line to ride again and then decided we would rather have coffee instead. Frozen coffee. Knowing that Starbucks was all the way back on Main Street and always takes forever anyway, we went in search of a Joffrey’s cart. Those darn things are everywhere! Except, we couldn’t find one. We walked all the way back to 7DMT looking, but there wasn’t one around. We finally found the one near Space Mountain. I ordered two frozen cappuccinos and when the CM told me the total, I realized that these were more expensive than the comparable size from Starbucks. It wasn’t much, and it didn’t matter, but it just surprised me. I went to put the straw in mine, it slipped out of my hand and landed on the ground, the lid fell off and it was pouring out. I just about cried. I think I cursed instead. Trevor said I could have his, but I picked mine up and more than ĺ of it was still in the cup. I wiped it off, put the lid back on and managed to get the straw in it this time. This day HAD to get better!

2018 Windsor Palms

Oh no! That can be the biggest drawback to all the planning. The frozen feeling you get when things arenít going as planned. We almost went into a tailspin after a similar situation. Hereís hoping it got better!

I am so sorry to hear about your FIL, but glad that the condo owner was so understanding and let you reschedule. I've had days like your MK days too! Can't wait for the rest.

We had a similar moment after arriving a little after RD on our first MK. It was late enough that I wasn't sure about doing Peter Pan first... but then what to do? We had a few minutes of indecision-- and who wants that at rope drop?! And then the morning we DID rope drop Peter Pan, only to head to BTMRR and THAT was down. Moving to Splash was an easy decision, but there wasn't a good way to work BTMRR back in. (Not that it mattered, because it was down until after we left the park.)

Glad you saved the coffee. At least most of it. I can just imagine the "nooooooooo!" moment as it's falling.

I hope the rest of the day was perfect!!!

June 10, MK continued

We sat down with our coffee near the exit of Space Mountain to wait, and DH and DS came by right then. We sat there for a couple minutes, and watched a CM drawing on the concrete with something that looked like water. His picture was really cute. I had enough coffee and gave mine to DS15. We went to the Peoplemover, which had a line, surprisingly. It wasn’t long and it was moving, so we got in line. The boys finished their drinks and threw the cups away before we went up the ramp.

Next we rode Buzz again with FP, and my score wasn’t much better; it wasn’t the car though, DH had a really high score. We went to the teacups next; the wait said 10 minutes, but it wasn’t that long. We only had to wait through one cycle, and then we were on. Someone had left their phone in our teacup; the CM came by and DH gave it to him. The boys were spinning their teacup as fast as they could, and it made me dizzy to watch them! They were having fun together, though. We didn’t have another FP for quite a while; I was able to snag a 7DMT FP only the week before our trip, but it was at 2:00, so we were stuck riding stand by until then. We checked the wait times and took the train to Frontierland to ride Big Thunder. The wait was posted at 50 minutes, but we waited about 35. The interactive things in the queue kept us busy, and we didn't really stand still for long at all. It wasn't bad.

We went to Casey’s for lunch, and we used mobile ordering for the first time. DS15 and I were able to grab a table back by the fence, while DH and DS17 went to get our food. A CM came by before our food came and cleaned the table for us. We took our time eating, enjoying the break. We had decided not to take an afternoon break today, since it was a hassle to use the boat/monorail to get back to the car. We are afternoon break people, and I was starting to think all day was not a good idea for us. I wanted to see the Muppets thing outside of Hall of Presidents, and it was almost time for that. We found a seat on the wall/ground in the shade, and it was worth the wait. We saw the Declaration of Independence show, it was cute.

We still had almost an hour before our 7DMT FP, so I had the brilliant idea that we should ride Under the Sea. We hadn’t ridden it before, and the wait was posted as 25 minutes, so why not? That line took forever, definitely longer than 25 minutes. I think we waited in line for 25 hours, it didn’t seem like we were moving at all after we got to the part that was inside the rock thing. At least we were out of the sun and it was cool in there. The ride was cute, but probably not worth the time we waited. I rode with DS15, who wasn't familiar with the story of LM, and that’s when I realized he had never seen the Little Mermaid. I am a terrible mother! When we were finished, it was finally time for our ride on the Mine Train! We tapped in for our FP and started looking for another one. The next time available was for IASW, so we took it. The mine train went faster than I remembered, and it was a good ride. It seems really short, though, I wouldn’t want to wait too long for it. We went to Philharmagic next, and we waited less than 10 minutes for that. It was the same as always, but I like it. There was a little girl a couple rows in front of us, and she was fascinated by the whole thing. It was so cute! She kept saying, “Wow!” and “Look at that!” and giggling. We tapped in for our IASW FP and booked one for the Jungle Cruise. The family behind us on IASW was annoying, but what do you do? They weren’t obnoxious, just loud and annoying.

DH and I went for ice cream, and the boys went to ride the Speedway. When we met back up, DS15 wanted a Dole Whip, so we walked over to Adventureland. I knew the Dole Whip place had moved, but I couldn’t remember where it was and it took us a little while to find it. It was about 137 degrees and I thought I was going to melt. By this time, we had realized that we are not all-day park people, we are definitely afternoon break people. I had always suspected it, but this is the first time we’ve tried all day in the summer. We were hot, tired and just done. However, we weren’t really done, so after he finished his dole whip, we trudged on. When we tapped in for the Jungle Cruise, we made another FP for Pirates. We took our trip through the jungle on a boat that was making weird clanking noises toward the end (may be normal, I don’t know). I like the Jungle Cruise for what it is, and I was thinking about how it would be to live in a time when it was amazing to see the audio-animatronics. So different from today!

When we returned safely from our trip, we didn’t know what to do next. We didn’t really have a plan at this point, but we had time before our next FP. DH finally mentioned the Pirate Adventure thing, and DS15 wanted to do it. The rest of us followed him around for the first map and then he went to get another one. I was over the whole day by now, and I really wanted to go back to the condo. Or Ohio. He started his second map, but every time he tapped on a clue, it told him he needed a different map. He went back to the place where you get the maps, but they were closed for the day. We sat at a table across from Pirates for the remaining few minutes until it was time for our Pirates FP. After we tapped in, we scheduled another FP for Buzz, but it was an hour and a half away. We had been telling the CMs at the loading areas that we were 2 groups of 2 instead of one group of 4, and we did that again so we didn’t have to squish into one row. Shame on us. DS17 and DS15 went first, and they were put near the front of a boat while we were sent to the middle of another boat. It isn’t a big deal, they are plenty old enough to ride without us, but there is always that thought of, “What if they act like morons?” They were waiting in the gift shop when we got there, both with some kind of plastic sword in their hand. They put them down, and we left. We started walking towards Fantasyland and saw that HM was posted at 30 minutes. We decided to ride it, but DS17 didn’t want to ride this time. He was hungry and thought he would either grab something to eat, look in a shop or two or just hang out and wait for us. The three of us got in line for HM and waited. And waited. The line was not moving, the FP line was long and it wasn’t moving either. After about 10 minutes, I checked the app and saw that HM was down. Someone else ahead of us was telling people too, and people started leaving the line. Finally, a CM came out and said “Stop going under the ropes” and he opened the rope so we could leave. Um…if you don’t want people letting themselves out, maybe some of the several CMs around should have told us that it was down instead of just standing there talking to each other. The sky was dark and it started to thunder. We met up with DS17 and went to Columbia Harbor House for dinner. The storm that was starting made the decision for us of where we would eat; we were right there, and it was dry inside! We didn't use mobile order. DH and I went to get our food and the boys went to find a table upstairs. We only waited a couple minutes, but by the time we got upstairs, it was pouring rain outside. Guess who didn’t bother with rain gear today? All of us! DS15 and I did have our Keens on, and I think DH did too. DS17 didn’t, he was wearing socks and shoes. We took our time eating and sat there for a little while after we were finished until the rain slacked off. Yes, we were THOSE people, but there were several tables open as it was later than normal busy dinner time.

2018 Windsor Palms

Quote Originally Posted by geek1997 View Post
    Oh no! That can be the biggest drawback to all the planning. The frozen feeling you get when things aren’t going as planned. We almost went into a tailspin after a similar situation. Here’s hoping it got better!
    I know! Things did get better, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by my3rascals View Post
    I am so sorry to hear about your FIL, but glad that the condo owner was so understanding and let you reschedule. I've had days like your MK days too! Can't wait for the rest.
    Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineOH View Post
    We had a similar moment after arriving a little after RD on our first MK. It was late enough that I wasn't sure about doing Peter Pan first... but then what to do? We had a few minutes of indecision-- and who wants that at rope drop?! And then the morning we DID rope drop Peter Pan, only to head to BTMRR and THAT was down. Moving to Splash was an easy decision, but there wasn't a good way to work BTMRR back in. (Not that it mattered, because it was down until after we left the park.)

Glad you saved the coffee. At least most of it. I can just imagine the "nooooooooo!" moment as it's falling.

I hope the rest of the day was perfect!!!
    I hate the indecision! We rope dropped Winnie the Pooh. I still can't wrap my head around that!

2018 Windsor Palms

Too funny-- we ate at CHH that same day, just later than you all. They had the upstairs roped off by the time we ate, and actually one of the rooms too. I've never eaten upstairs there, and that's where I would have headed if I could have.

I so understand that middle of the afternoon, so hot you can't stand it, just ready-to-go thing. We spend some afternoon time in Epcot, and I just don't do too well with it. We've never driven to Magic Kingdom, but I can see how the whole tram/ferry/monorail thing would deter you from leaving.

It didn't deter us from leaving on our second MK day. We are wimps! Well, I am, and when Momma isn't happy.....

2018 Windsor Palms

June 10, MK
    Continued

We made our way over to Buzz Lightyear for our FP, and the line was really, really long. The FP line. It was extended out into a long queue near Monsters, Inc. We probably waited at least 10 minutes outside before we were able to tap in. After we saved the galaxy again from the evil Zurg, we took another ride on the People mover, then it was time to look for a spot to watch the fireworks. DH wanted to take the train, so we walked over to Fantasyland and took the train to Main Street. The train stopped as we got close to Main Street, and the CM kept telling us to stay seated and stay on the train. I don’t know if someone started to get off the train or if she was just thinking they would, but she kept saying it over the speaker and she was being really nasty about it, almost yelling. She finally said, “We have a situation, STAY ON THE TRAIN AND SIT DOWN!”. After a few minutes, we pulled into the station and were allowed to get off the train. I don’t know what the “situation” was, we didn’t see anything at all out of the ordinary. We didn’t know where to watch HEA from. It was obviously too late to get a really good spot, but we were okay with that. We wandered up Main Street and ended up with our toes up to the tape line again, this time at the walkway that was taped off between Casey’s and the Plaza. It was a decent spot; we couldn’t see all of the projections perfectly, but it was fine. We didn’t like it as well as Wishes; I just can’t watch the projections and fireworks at the same time, and the newer shows seem to be heavy on projections and light on fireworks. The song from Brother Bear gets me every time I hear it, though.

When the show ended, we grabbed a table across from the Plaza to wait for the crowd to clear. We could have gone to ride something instead of waiting, but it had been a really long day and we were beyond done. We made our way up a not-crowded Main Street but we found the crowds on the other side of the train station. We obviously hadn’t waited long enough, but we had already exited the park, so what do you do? Join the mass of humanity that is going to the ferryboat. Not much else to do at that point. We were doing fine, moving some, until we got just outside of the covered area at the dock. I felt something hit my neck. Surely that wasn’t……oh yes, it was. Rain. The skies opened up and it started to POUR. Craptacular. We had nothing with us. I don’t mind getting wet, but the rain on my glasses makes it hard to see, and it was pouring down my face into my eyes, and I really couldn’t see. I started laughing. What else can you do? At least it wasn't cold. There was a really, really annoying woman near us who kept saying things like, “they shouldn’t be allowed to make us stand here in the rain, I’m going to call Guest Services, somebody should be fired”….really? What do you want “them” to do? It is rain. Yes, it it raining hard enough that you couldn't see much in front of you, and it was miserable, but what exactly do you think can be done about it? People were crammed into the area that was covered, which was the queue to load the next boat. She had an umbrella, and she just about hit DS17 in the face several times. I was proud of him, he didn’t say anything. At least not to her. He had plenty to say later on. We made it on to a boat about 15 minutes after it started raining, and we made sure that we were not near her on the boat. When we got off the boat, it had pretty much stopped raining. We walked back to the van and then went back to the condo. I was glad to be dry!
    Last edited by Momofpirates; 06-23-2018 at 09:50 AM.

2018 Windsor Palms

I'm sorry you got poured on and at the end of the night, too! I don't ever mind the rain as much during the day while we're riding and doing things, but when you're just waiting to go home it's no fun at all.
    Jen

Oh man, sorry to hear your MK day wasn't great. I think we've all had days like that where there's just one thing after another that doesn't go quite right. Hope the rest of the trip was better!

Thank you all for reading along! The cord for my laptop finally bit the dust yesterday, so I am posting from my ipad until the new one comes in.

If I can get it to work, here are a few pics from our first couple of days:
    Stormtroopers at HS

IMG_0465.jpg

Castle
    IMG_0461.JPG

Concrete "art" in Tomorrowland
    IMG_0464.jpg