Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Resort Parking Fees Coming? (rumor)

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
    Every time I see this thread on the "What's New" screen, I think about a comment made on another board that made me chuckle. A comment was made that Disney is going to send us annual bills for our memories - or something like that. It was so funny.
    Aren't they kind of doing that already, but at the end of and during each trip?
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Shute View Post
    I finally found the time to post on this topic: https://yourfirstvisit.net/2018/03/1...hotel-parking/
    Dave, an interesting read. However, I disagree with the conclusory paragraph:

... repeat visitors are very important to Disney World, and at some point, the loss in goodwill will start to hurt. This particular change, as noted, is too trivial to make a difference when viewed in isolation. But when put in context with other moves…well, at some point they all may start to add up. Part of the problem is that the current set of leaders will be gone by the time such a potential loss in goodwill starts to have consequences, so someone else will have to fix the consequences of their dipshit moves.
    Every time something goes up in price---tickets, soda, resorts, whatever---there is sturm und drang that 'someday they will go too far.' While it is true that the past does not necessarily predict the future, it's also true that not a single one of these changes has ever mattered to attendance, occupancy, etc. because the sharp pencil boys are careful to make sure that the changes they make won't cross whatever line consumers have at the moment.

Of course, attendance and occupancy do change, but those things seem to be driven much more by macroeconomic trends. Right now, things are booming, and people feel confident, so demand for discretionary travel is way up. This is exacerbated by the current trend to buying experiences and away from buying things. While these hold, expect more of the same, with Disney continuing to extract as much as they believe they can get away with.

However, economies are cyclical, even ours, and eventually it will retract. When it does, there will once again be great deals to be had. (Anyone else remember the buy-four-nights-get-seven post-9/11 promo?) When that happens, a good chunk of the former-frequent-visitor crowd will come storming back. "We haven't been in a while, we loved it, and wow these are some great deals!"

Barring such contraction between now and then, I would definitely expect sharp rate increases for the 2019 year, because Star Wars is likely to cast a shadow that even the Boy Who Lived can't match. The latter drove a huge increase in both Universal parks, in the face of significant ticket price increases.

Annoyingly rational as usual, Dave.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    Every time something goes up in price---tickets, soda, resorts, whatever---there is sturm und drang that 'someday they will go too far.' While it is true that the past does not necessarily predict the future, it's also true that not a single one of these changes has ever mattered to attendance, occupancy, etc. because the sharp pencil boys are careful to make sure that the changes they make won't cross whatever line consumers have at the moment.

Of course, attendance and occupancy do change, but those things seem to be driven much more by macroeconomic trends. Right now, things are booming, and people feel confident, so demand for discretionary travel is way up. This is exacerbated by the current trend to buying experiences and away from buying things. While these hold, expect more of the same, with Disney continuing to extract as much as they believe they can get away with.
    I agree with 90% of what you say. But the duration mismatch between changes in goodwill now and impact on future propensity to return troubles me as a strategist. When prices go up above inflation, I'd like to see benefits at least held constant, and view that as much the better long term strategy.

That said, between Star Wars next year and out into Tron, I completely agree that absent a recession the current approach will work for Disney just fine...
    Struggling author of yourfirstvisit.net and co-author of The easy Guide.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Maybe this is part of the reason... good God, $423M is a just ridiculous amount for any position...
    http://deadline.com/2018/03/disney-c...is-1202339376/
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) · Disney Institute (Jun 97) · CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) · BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) · FW/VWL (Nov 10) · Poly (Mar 11, May 11) · BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) · BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) · SSR (Oct 11) · YC (Oct 12) · Swan (Oct 13) · WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) · Pop (Oct 14) · POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) · CBR (Dec 15) · ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    Maybe this is part of the reason... good God, $423M is a just ridiculous amount for any position...
    yes yes it is... however, I'd still like to know where to send my application....

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    Iger & Company, like most of the Gentry in America, are completely out of touch with mainstream USA.
    And the reason they're so out of touch is their ridiculous income paid for by the very people, us, whom they are slapping in the face with these onerous parking fees.
    I would challenge him, or any of his top echelon people, to live on our income and then try to save enough money for a week stay at WDW.
    He'd be whining like a sick puppy the first month.
    However to keep his golden parachute inflated he and his minions will continue to strangle the cash cow, again us, until it stops breathing.
    By then he will have moved on from Disney and will live like a king for he rest of his life without so much as a "Thank you" to the millions of people who scrimped and saved to spend a week or so in his playground.
    It's OK to be Grumpy.
    Just not to the Grandkids.

(Anyone else remember the buy-four-nights-get-seven post-9/11 promo?)
    Yes! We used this promo for our honeymoon in 2009. Plus we got a $200 giftcard. (And the regular dining plan was only $32 per person per day).

Now here I am 9 years later ready to book a 10 year anniversary trip a year in advance just so I can avoid being nickel and dimed out of a parking fee.

Oh how the times have changed.
    Last edited by aobrien; 03-19-2018 at 11:21 PM.

I remember getting "free" dining at POFQ in 2007 that was app, entrée, dessert AND tip! Sigh.

I updated https://yourfirstvisit.net/2018/03/1...hotel-parking/ to put the Cabins back in to the "charged for" class--I had mistakenly excluded them.

At the Fort, Disney's official page https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en...vices/parking/ says this: "Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle." I interpret this as meaning that if you have more than one motorized vehicle per campsite, your evil excess will be charged for, but we'll see...
    Struggling author of yourfirstvisit.net and co-author of The easy Guide.

Since I will never have a car at Disney World, I have no dog in this race but thought I would put my two cents in anyways.

While I think the parking fees are a shameless money grab and another example of the cold corporate machine peaking out from behind the carefully-crafted congenial Disney mask, the reality is people have proven they are willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for the Disney experience over and over and over again and, when the Disney experience fails to be enough or just plain fails, they are willing to shell out even more money for added experiences like park hopping, character meals (ie Cinderella's Royal Table), tours (ie Caring for Giants), desert parties (ie Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party) and extra hours in Magic Kingdom (ie Disney After Hours), several of which take time out of the person's day and therefore lower the value of their original tickets. If I were a business owner and discovered people were willing, heck, eager, to throw more money at me for my product, I would say my product's 'fair value' has gone up and start raising prices and/or adding fees in line with that too.

Personally, I would like to do two more trips to Disney: one an adult combo Universal/Disney with my best friend to fully experience the World Showcase including Drinking around the World without a child to tend to and an either Disney or Universal/Disney combo grandmother/grandchild trip with my presently one year old grandson when he turns seven. However, if the prices keep going up so wildly and fees that specifically impact my vacation budget start being added (ie charge for Magical Express), I will be content to make different destination choices like returning to New Orleans with best friend and taking my grandchild to Myrtle Beach. This happened ten years ago with Vegas. A bunch of us had been going to there every year, sometimes twice a year, for ten years. During the final two years the prices of everything jumped up, chain stores edged out their more unique stores and their service went way down so we switched to doing four to five day jaunts to places like New Orleans, Chicago, San Fransisco, Toronto, ect each year instead.

Note: I have done both hoppers and character meals so I am certainly not judging others for their choice to do upcharge events.
    Last edited by All about me; 04-10-2018 at 01:09 PM.
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls
    Oct 2018 Disney Fantasy (HotHS) Coming soon: June 2020 IoA & USF/Disney Dream

Quote Originally Posted by aobrien View Post
    Yes! We used this promo for our honeymoon in 2009. Plus we got a $200 giftcard. (And the regular dining plan was only $32 per person per day).

Now here I am 9 years later ready to book a 10 year anniversary trip a year in advance just so I can avoid being nickel and dimed out of a parking fee.

Oh how the times have changed.
    We used this promo in 2009 also (stay 4 nights, get 3 free) for an adults only trip. In 2011, my younger two kids were free with a "Kids Stay and Play Free" promo. This October I will pay almost exactly twice as much for two of us for 5 nights as I did for two of us for 7 nights in 2009 and slightly more than I paid for the 5 of us for that trip in 2011. I no longer have prices from our earlier trips. Even in 2016, I got four of us for 4 nights with free QS Dining for just over what I am now getting for two of us for 5 nights.

Last October was our first trip without a car. If Disney didn't already charge obscene hotel rates for what is offered and $15 for a fast food sandwich, then the parking fees wouldn't seem so bad, but it was one of the small perks for paying those hotel rates. Ultimately, it is my happy place and my oldest son's favorite place in the world and I'm not ready to give it up just yet, but I long for the days before FP+ when I didn't have to plan my parks months in advance and the rate at which prices and fees are increasing will definitely make me start to consider longer breaks between trips. We take other vacations every year and those are already our top priority. Disney is an "if it works out" and I can tell you that with what it is costing these days I think that "if" is growing larger all the time.
    Jen

Out of curiosity I looked at our packages since 2014. Same accommodation same duration same dinning plan - it's up 67% since 2014. Currency accounts for 12% of that, 13.75% is WDW price increase per year if you remove the currency change or 55% for the 4 years.

It won't stop me going back I have to say. We never had bad experience, we always leave WDW feeling sad after having great vacations. I don't like having to pay more, however for now our vacations meet the expectations and we still get consistently great time. I never felt while there that anyone is pushing up sale packages or merchandise (unlike seaworld) I never felt money pinching. I never felt bored at WDW - as I do on day 3 at Universal. Universal boredom hits me after day 1 if we have park hoppers!

If booking again we may consider having a car for part of the vacation only and POFQ could be higher on our wish list. I am not ready to give it up yet. My vacations have been getting better - I am looking forward to Avatarland, Toy Story Land and the new water ride at TL. The new fireworks at MK. Rivers of Light! So many new things since we were there October 2016.

If I don't want to increase the cost we could buy less of a dinning package, stay at moderate vs SSR, forget about car or cut days but I love WDW and the parking cost alone won't change that.
    Last edited by Nia; 03-21-2018 at 08:46 AM.

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nia View Post
    Currency accounts for 12% of that, 13.75% is WDW price increase if you remove the currency change.
    What accounts for the rest of the price increase?
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Sorry - my error! I meant per year 13.75% annual increase. 12% currency value change is for the 4 years total, 13.75 % is Disney cost increase per year. I also got my years wrong, we were first at SSR 2014 and going again 2018

Quote Originally Posted by All about me View Post
    While I think the parking fees are a shameless money grab and another example of the cold corporate machine peaking out from behind the carefully-crafted congenial Disney mask, the reality is people have proven they are willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for the Disney experience over and over and over again and, when the Disney experience fails to be enough or just plain fails, they are willing to shell out even more money for added experiences like park hopping, character meals (ie Cinderella's Royal Table), tours (ie Caring for Giants), desert parties (ie Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party at Disney's Hollywood Studios) and extra hours in Magic Kingdom (ie Disney After Hours), several of which take time out of the person's day and therefore lower the value of their original tickets. If I were a business owner and discovered people were willing, heck, eager, to throw more money at me for my product, I would say my product's 'fair value' has gone up and start raising prices and/or adding fees in line with that too.
    If management were smart, they'd station a character in the resort lobbies to collect the parking fee and issue a colorful parking pass. Most would gladly reach into their pockets for the experience, and never bat an eye.

Stupid Judy.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If management were smart, they'd station a character in the resort lobbies to collect the parking fee and issue a colorful parking pass. Most would gladly reach into their pockets for the experience, and never bat an eye.
    Similarly, they could start charging for stickers...

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Similarly, they could start charging for stickers...
    They'd make a FORTUNE on those!

Stupid Judy.

They'd make a FORTUNE on those!
    We were making it rain in January!

27332672_10155746151534342_1889776778499178106_n.jpg

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar
    (Anyone else remember the buy-four-nights-get-seven post-9/11 promo?)
    Oh, those were the days......... we were able to stay at the Boardwalk concierge for the first (and last) time and it holds some sweet memories!

(Anyone else remember the buy-four-nights-get-seven post-9/11 promo?) .
    Ooh yeah, the first time we took our kids--they were 3 and 1, so one was free. We got 7 nights at ASMo, added a night at the beginning because of Hurricane Jeanne (we had to arrive before she did), and another night at the end so we could hit the first MNSSHP, and I think we paid around $1200 including Ultimate Park Hopper tix.
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

To meet some characters like Jack Skellington and Sally, some would be willing to pay for the parking pass even without a car!
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls
    Oct 2018 Disney Fantasy (HotHS) Coming soon: June 2020 IoA & USF/Disney Dream

Not a smart idea from my perspective. They need to realize that all of these 'fees' and other add-on costs are going to seriously affect the guest experience. Having to budget for parking fees, in my opinion, will take away from memories that can be created elsewhere. My wife and I had this discussion the other night.

People aren't going to say, "Hey, remember that parking lot where we left our car for the week? Boy, let's do that again!" People need meaningful memories/experiences to even entertain the thought of returning at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by All about me View Post
    To meet some characters like Jack Skellington and Sally, some would be willing to pay for the parking pass even without a car!
    They’d scheme about how to get a throwaway parking pass!

Stupid Judy.

They’d scheme about how to get a throwaway parking pass!
    haha yes! "We're all jamming into our friend's car - he's a member staying on DVC points! There are 17 of us."