Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Resort Parking Fees Coming? (rumor)

This topic tickled something in my brain, like we discussed it before. So I did a search and it actually worked and I found this thread:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...ntract+parking
    And that thread led to this article:
    http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...fee#discussion

First off, it is interesting that WDW ran a survey 2 years ago about potential resort fees to cover a whole host of items, not just parking fees. Next, it seems that if you read the DVC contract, the cost of DME, WiFI, Magic Bands, parking and security are included in DVC dues. DVC dues also pay for the maintenance and upkeep of the lots. So Disney's decision not to charge DVC members for parking was not a decision to grant a perk for certain classes of customers. They simply cannot double charge us as we are already paying for it per the contract terms.

Now in some sense, regular guests are also already paying for these items in inflated room rates. But since it is not spelled out in an existing contract (every new reservation can be subject to new terms) Disney can modify things more freely.

But I'm also now thinking that Disney might be obligated to use some portion of these parking fees to offset the cost of maintaining the lots that are currently being charged to DVC members. DVC members own at least some percentage of each lot. That's why we pay to maintain them. If those lots are generating income, some of that should be allocated to offset the costs incurred by DVC owners. I''m not expecting a windfall, or even a halt to dues increases. I probably won't even bother to inquire. I just found it interesting to consider that the dues increase for DVC members might be a couple of pennies lower next year than it would have been due to this new charge.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

The only places I've understood / thought parking fees at hotels were justified were parking garages in cities. Space is limited and rent for the garage is probably high.

I also think the way the fees are set up by type of resort is backwards. You can stay at Pop and have your car right outside your window. At some of the deluxe resorts, it could be a 5 minutes walk to your car from your room.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    At some of the deluxe resorts, it could be a 5 minutes walk to your car from your room.
    Or longer. BW is bad for this - we often ended up in the "back lot" across the road by Speedway (formerly Hess). Even at POFQ the parking situation can be pretty bad depending on what building you're in. This whole parking thing just p***es me off...
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    Or longer. BW is bad for this - we often ended up in the "back lot" across the road by Speedway (formerly Hess). Even at POFQ the parking situation can be pretty bad depending on what building you're in. This whole parking thing just p***es me off...
    Wow. I knew BW was bad but not that bad. We stayed there a couple of times -- both during Easter Week -- and the main lot was often just a few spots from being full, but we always found something. I'd be pretty unhappy about having to cross over to that auxiliary lot, and even now I can get a little snippy sometimes when people come here asking how they can finagle a way to park at BW and then use the International Gateway to Epcot.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by mgarbowski View Post
    Wow. I knew BW was bad but not that bad. We stayed there a couple of times -- both during Easter Week -- and the main lot was often just a few spots from being full, but we always found something. I'd be pretty unhappy about having to cross over to that auxiliary lot, and even now I can get a little snippy sometimes when people come here asking how they can finagle a way to park at BW and then use the International Gateway to Epcot.
    Maybe thats why they decided to charge? because lots are getting overcrowded? I don't know, it doesnt bother me. But then again 1. I live in california where you pay to park everywhere. 2. We dont normally have a car at WDW and 3. Were DVC so I already pay and dont use it anyway. It is what it is. It's not going to stop me from going. I am more offended by the substandard puck that quick service calls a hamburger. But I can see for some people how this is a bigger deal.

Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    Disney is skating a fine line here. There comes a certain point where people will just say it is not worth it anymore. But with attendance up and earnings up they are getting away with it for now. When they do tip the scale I think the fallout will be big.
    This. I think they are trying to see how far they can push it. Because they can. I'm wonder though if tipping the scale will come later rather than sooner because of the opening of Star Wars Land - more people are going to want to be there and be willing to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    I am more offended by the substandard puck that quick service calls a hamburger.
    I am also offended by this. The parking fee is just one more thing Disney is asking us to blindly accept.

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    Just for the heck of it, the day before this thread (and the somewhat related "angst" thread) were posted, I compiled a "WDW trip summary" for all of our trips. Since 2010 we've stayed on Disney property a total of 139 nights at various resorts within all three levels. If I apply the parking prices to those stays, I would have spent an additional $3,145 just for parking.
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) Disney Institute (Jun 97) CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) FW/VWL (Nov 10) Poly (Mar 11, May 11) BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) SSR (Oct 11) YC (Oct 12) Swan (Oct 13) WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) Pop (Oct 14) POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) CBR (Dec 15) ASMo (Dec 16)

Just for the heck of it, the day before this thread (and the somewhat related "angst" thread) were posted, I compiled a "WDW trip summary" for all of our trips. Since 2010 we've stayed on Disney property a total of 139 nights at various resorts within all three levels. If I apply the parking prices to those stays, I would have spent an additional $3,145 just for parking.
    dayum
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,

Quote Originally Posted by geek1997 View Post
    I am also offended by this. The parking fee is just one more thing Disney is asking us to blindly accept.
    I am sorry you are offended that I am more offended by the food than the parking. I can see why this is a big deal for some. My point was its probably not a big deal for everyone. Everyone has their sticking points. There are a lot of things at Disney that are potentially less than ideal for some people. It is totally up to you to decide to stay off site, or not go to Disney at all. We "vote" with our dollars. If parking fees, or declining food quality with increasing cost, or rising ticket costs or what have you keeps people from going Disney will make changes. But as long as people go and they are seeing steady or rising profit... They don't really have a reason to stop nickle and diming us.

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by geek1997 View Post
    This. I think they are trying to see how far they can push it. Because they can.
    They are not extending 60-day FP+ to offsite resorts to be nice. They are doing it because when people call to book a package, the Resort is sold out. Disney knows what they are doing. They know how many people this will drive away, and they are comfortable with it.

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by pixarprincess View Post
    I am sorry you are offended that I am more offended by the food than the parking.
    I think geek1997 was agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    They are not extending 60-day FP+ to offsite resorts to be nice. They are doing it because when people call to book a package, the Resort is sold out. Disney knows what they are doing. They know how many people this will drive away, and they are comfortable with it.
    totally agree....

Whoa! That's a big number...

We stayed onsite in 2 rooms at CBR on our January trip. It was actually one of the most relaxing trips we have had in a while. Just as I start thinking staying onsite might be worth the extra cost (embracing the bubble) they do this with parking.

I agree that it is just insulting. I keep picturing all the parking at CBR. I would be happier if they still didn’t charge for guests and implemented a ticket/validation system for people parking at the MK/Epcot resorts for “dining and shopping.”
    Kim

At first I was kind of aggravated and indignant, but it's still cheaper for us to drive than fly. Couple that with the fact that the parking fee is cheaper than what it costs me to park at the Marriott on Canal here at home, and I let it go.

Other than the trip we just did (Campsites) and our very first trip 9 years ago(All Star), we've stayed on rented DVC points the past three times. So, we've gotten our share of free parking paid by someone else. I'll consider it a convenience fee.

Quote Originally Posted by kmc8826 View Post
    We stayed onsite in 2 rooms at CBR on our January trip. It was actually one of the most relaxing trips we have had in a while. Just as I start thinking staying onsite might be worth the extra cost (embracing the bubble) they do this with parking.

I agree that it is just insulting. I keep picturing all the parking at CBR. I would be happier if they still didn’t charge for guests and implemented a ticket/validation system for people parking at the MK/Epcot resorts for “dining and shopping.”
    What is so odd about it, is that they aren't charging people for daytime parking. So it does nothing to deter people from parking at resorts near the parks to avoid parking fees and walking or monorailing. It's aimed only at those who are parking overnight and seems a blatant money grab.

I agree, charge people NOT staying at the hotel first. And if Disney doesn't want to discourage dining and shopping do validation. But that would likely generate way less revenue than charging overnight guests.

Does Disney Springs have restrictions on overnight parking? Not that I would utilize it myself, but I can see people trying to avoid the resort parking fees as much as they try to avoid parking fees at the parks.

While I do think this sucks, I don’t think people will go too much out of their way to avoid it. I think people will decide if the overall cost is worth it when shopping for hotel rooms. A lot of off site hotels charge for parking or have resort fees. Universal charges for parking at their hotels (although less, and generally their hotels cost less). If someone wants to stay Onsite for whatever reason, the bubble, bus transportation, dining plan, EMH, FP+ window, etc., they’ll decide if the cost is worth it. I think the only way I’d stay onsite now would be if it was the ONLY way to get fastpasses. I would never pay to stay at a club level room and the per person per day upcharge for more fastpasses, but plenty of people do that.
    Brandi

Every time I see this thread on the "What's New" screen, I think about a comment made on another board that made me chuckle. A comment was made that Disney is going to send us annual bills for our memories - or something like that. It was so funny.

Actually, DD and I are thinking about a summer trip. I was almost going to try to talk her into staying at Pop. But she really didn't want to stay in a small hotel room - we are spoiled by all the space in a condo. Then this parking issue came up, so we will just stick with Bonnet Creek.

he's right
    I can barely stand anything smaller than a 1BR when it is just me...

I can barely stand anything smaller than a 1BR when it is just me...
    You're right! We would be miserable in a tiny room for a week. DD even vetoed WL. The kids are teenagers now. Even if we are just on the road and need an over night stay, we try to reserve Embassy Suites or Hyatt Place or something with more than just beds.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
    A comment was made that Disney is going to send us annual bills for our memories - or something like that. It was so funny.
    That is hilarious!!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

I think geek1997 was agreeing with you.
    Thanks. I was. 😬

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
    Every time I see this thread on the "What's New" screen, I think about a comment made on another board that made me chuckle. A comment was made that Disney is going to send us annual bills for our memories - or something like that. It was so funny.
    LOL!!! We laugh, but seriously, this isn't far off. If Disney could, they would. No doubt about it.
    Erin

I finally found the time to post on this topic: https://yourfirstvisit.net/2018/03/1...hotel-parking/
    Struggling author of yourfirstvisit.net and co-author of The easy Guide.