Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Resort Parking Fees Coming? (rumor)

Quote Originally Posted by Alcachofa View Post
    This will also change the math for people who consider doing throwaway nights.
    I'm not sure how? If you do a throwaway, you don't actually park at the resort, just the parks. They scan your MB to confirm you are a resort guest, but unless they can also tell whether or not you've paid the parking fee, you should still be able to park for free, right?
    Nov 2019-W&D 10K (Pop); Aug 2019-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Feb 2019-Festival of the Arts (POFQ); Nov 2018-40th Birthday Trip (Pop); Aug 2018-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil), Nov 2017-Wine & Dine 5K (Pop), Aug 2017-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); May 2017-Tinkerbell 10K (Disneyland); Novr 2016-Wine & Dine 10K (POFQ); Aug 2016-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Nov 2015-1st Solo Trip (All-Star Movies); Aug 2015-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil); Aug 2014-"Family" Trip (Parc Soleil)

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lovett1979 View Post
    I'm not sure how? If you do a throwaway, you don't actually park at the resort, just the parks. They scan your MB to confirm you are a resort guest, but unless they can also tell whether or not you've paid the parking fee, you should still be able to park for free, right?
    If you have a car and are staying at a resort, you'd pay a parking fee, no? Resort stays are tied to MBs, so it's not to difficult for someone at a resort parking gate to flag a car on your reservation; theme park parking would be another "perk" of paying the resort parking fee.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Welp, if they are trying to thin the crowds, then it worked with me! After spending way too much money on Disney over the past however many years, I'm tapping out. Happy we got in so many trips, tired of being nickel and dimed. Someone can have my parking space... :-)
    Erin

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If you have a car and are staying at a resort, you'd pay a parking fee, no? Resort stays are tied to MBs, so it's not to difficult for someone at a resort parking gate to flag a car on your reservation; theme park parking would be another "perk" of paying the resort parking fee.
    But I thought the reason it was called a "throwaway night" is that you're NOT actually staying at the resort.
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Just LOLling at the idea that a striped piece of asphalt costs more depending on whether the resort rooms have microwaves, or the pools have big slides. I get the logic, but it still seems dumb when I think of it this way.

Selfishly glad about the DVC exemptions.

I figure they will enforce this by just adding it to the room charge by asking you if you plan to bring a car and park it when you check-in. And if upon arrival you present at the guard gate with a car (excluding taxis, Uber, etc) , the guard will check if your reservation lists a car. If it does not, the charge will be added then, unless you can plausibly explain why you are showing up in a car if you aren't going to park it. And if there is no car listed on the reservation your magic band will not open the automatic gate barrier even though you are staying there.
    Last edited by mgarbowski; 03-14-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    But I thought the reason it was called a "throwaway night" is that you're NOT actually staying at the resort.
    Hence the added cost of a throwaway night, no?
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

I don't understand why it costs more to park at deluxes than at values. Are they trying to stop people from parking for free at a resort and then using the bus/boat/monorail/walk to the parks (doubtful, since the charge is per night)? I do wonder how it will be charged and how they will know who has a car and who doesn't.

We always drive to WDW. This won't affect us because we are staying off-site in a condo this trip, but it wouldn't sit well if we were staying on-site. It seems as if the prices for the resorts keep going up and the benefits are decreasing.
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

Another incentive to stay offsite now - or rather less of a downside to staying offsite. It "now" costs the same to pay for parking at a park as anything higher than a value, right? WBC is starting to look more and more attractive for our possible "Year of Disney" in 2020 or later. The list I mentioned in bnoble's post about WDW Angst has just gotten longer.

Also, will be curious to see if the next phase of discounts is released on/around 3/21. Do you think that the fee will apply if you "adjust" your reservation to pick up new discounts after 3/21?

When we book a night at a chicago hotel, we don't have to pay for our vehicle to be parked until we drive up with our vehicle and put it in their lot on their property.
    If we are doing a throwaway night but never put our car in a resort parking lot over our 2 day stay....there is no way they can charge us for using the lot.

I think when you check in, you will have to declare your car and get a valid window hanging or something to show you paid for your stay. It would be a mess to have people pre-pay or charged before stay. Plans change and I would hope with something like this, they would wait to charge you and your vehicle until your arrival day.
    and then, people without the window hanging overnight would be towed.

and btw, those prices are cheap. We have paid $60 to park our car overnight in Chicago.
    I agree it sucks to add it on to an already expensive trip but at least they left the fees very low, in comparison to what I have had to pay to park before.
    Cathy
    Trip Report #1 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...mber-2015-Trip
    Trip Report #2 http://www.easywdw.com/forums/showth...-Trip-Report-2
    Trip Report #3
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...I-got-this!!!!

WDW~ May 2009, July/August 2010, September 2013, December 2015, February 2017 & September 2018
    DL~ July/August 2016

Quote Originally Posted by geek1997 View Post
    Also, will be curious to see if the next phase of discounts is released on/around 3/21. Do you think that the fee will apply if you "adjust" your reservation to pick up new discounts after 3/21?
    Probably. Any time you change an already-booked package, it is subject to increased ticket pricing or whatever, this probably won't be any different.

2018 Windsor Palms

josh's date at akershus stevenmilz's Avatar
    I get free theme parking with my AP. Maybe I'll just park the van at Epcot and leave it for my entire stay. :-) Crazy that it's free for me as an AP holder to park at a theme park but not at a resort. It'll be interesting to see if businesses pop up close to WDW allowing you to park your car much cheaper and be shuttled to your resort. Many folks who drive vs fly don't move their vehicle the entire time they're staying (we used to be like this).
    Steve
    Offsite (Jul 87, Nov 09, Feb 13) ∑ Disney Institute (Jun 97) ∑ CR (Aug 81, Aug 83, Aug 86, May 10) ∑ BLT (Dec 10, Sep 11) ∑ FW/VWL (Nov 10) ∑ Poly (Mar 11, May 11) ∑ BC/BCV (Dec 11, Mar 12, Jan 13) ∑ BWI/BWV (May 12, Dec 12, May 13, Sep 13, Mar 14, Sep 14) ∑ SSR (Oct 11) ∑ YC (Oct 12) ∑ Swan (Oct 13) ∑ WBC (Dec 13, May 14, Dec 14) ∑ Pop (Oct 14) ∑ POFQ (Jan 15, Mar 15, Sep 15, Oct 15, Jan 16, Sep 16, Nov 16, Mar 17, May 17) ∑ CBR (Dec 15) ∑ ASMo (Dec 16)

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyRunr View Post
    Agreed.
    And Ft Wilderness is allowing 1 car for free per campsite, so the throw away night is a non-issue here I think?

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar
    ok... maybe this has already been asked and answered elsewhere ... is it still free to park at the parks if you are a resort guest ?

I am also surprised this hasn’t happened sooner. Yet another reason to stay offsite for me.
    Brandi

the jeweled acrobats only perform amazing stunts for him DopeyRunr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Caballeros View Post
    ok... maybe this has already been asked and answered elsewhere ... is it still free to park at the parks if you are a resort guest ?

Yes. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...parking-costs/
    Follow me on Twitter at: @DopeyRunr
    Blogging about running for fun at Disney and elsewhere with Team Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmilz View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if businesses pop up close to WDW allowing you to park your car much cheaper and be shuttled to your resort. Many folks who drive vs fly don't move their vehicle the entire time they're staying (we used to be like this).
    Wonder how long it will be before people park their cars at DS overnight and use the buses? (No, I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure some will).

2018 Windsor Palms

I'm waiting for local businesses to set up park and ride type situations that charge $7-10/nt for parking offsite. It seems like a logical response.

All I can say is I'm glad our May trip is already booked. We're probably looking at Bonnet Creek for future stays rather than the RCI exchanges into SSR that we've been doing the last few times.

For what it’s worth I’d like to add my two cents in here. In the interest of full disclosure, I was fortunate enough to visit WDW twice in 2017. Both times I flew and stayed onsite using MDE and Disney transportation. Now even though I’m a relatively short nine hour drive away, thanks to an abundance of airline miles I will continue to fly so the parking fees don’t impact me as of now. I will say if I was to drive or rent a car id be moved to stay off site after this change. This latest move aggravates me.

Over the past few weeks I have been caught between my heart telling me to go back to WDW and my brain telling me to use my 2018 vacation dollars someplace else. To me a trip to WDW is an escape from the real world, and up till recently I felt like Disney understood that and was even a partner in this mindset. Disney was always there to say “hey we know you need a break, and we are here for you and we will do everything we can for you”. Now I fully understand in the back of my mind that Disney has always done what they can to save and make a buck but it just feels like recently things have gone a bit too far at the expense of customer experience.

I took my last trip in September of 17, and before that was January of 17, and I could tell a difference in September. While it didn’t seem like the park was any more crowded the lines seemed much longer. I’m well aware of the reduced capacity that Josh has been talking about for a while (even if others are just now catching on). Reduced operating hours, increased number of upcharge events, and things like that are one thing but when I keep seeing more downtime on rides, and reports of dirty parks coupled with moves like resort parking fees, well it just feels like Disney giving me the finger and saying don’t come back we don’t care somebody will pay it and put up with our crap. I’m a laid back guy and I can put up with a lot, annual price increases don’t both me, tiered pricing on hotels and tickets don’t bother me. But I guess I’m at the point where I just don’t feel like I’m getting enough back for what I put in given the perceived attitude of Disney operations.
    I’m still debating if I should book a trip for early 2019, I really want to, but there’s a lot of this world I haven’t seen.

In short, Disney I don’t want to stop visiting. I want to come spend my vacation time and money on you, please just give me a reason to visit, please make me feel appreciated. If not maybe it is time to visit Italy, or Norway or Germany instead of their pavilions in EPCOT.

I apologize for the long and whiny post, it’s just some thoughts that have been on my mind and I finally had to put it out there.

For what itís worth Iíd like to add my two cents in here. In the interest of full disclosure, I was fortunate enough to visit WDW twice in 2017. Both times I flew and stayed onsite using MDE and Disney transportation. Now even though Iím a relatively short nine hour drive away, thanks to an abundance of airline miles I will continue to fly so the parking fees donít impact me as of now. I will say if I was to drive or rent a car id be moved to stay off site after this change. This latest move aggravates me.

Over the past few weeks I have been caught between my heart telling me to go back to WDW and my brain telling me to use my 2018 vacation dollars someplace else. To me a trip to WDW is an escape from the real world, and up till recently I felt like Disney understood that and was even a partner in this mindset. Disney was always there to say ďhey we know you need a break, and we are here for you and we will do everything we can for youĒ. Now I fully understand in the back of my mind that Disney has always done what they can to save and make a buck but it just feels like recently things have gone a bit too far at the expense of customer experience.

I took my last trip in September of 17, and before that was January of 17, and I could tell a difference in September. While it didnít seem like the park was any more crowded the lines seemed much longer. Iím well aware of the reduced capacity that Josh has been talking about for a while (even if others are just now catching on). Reduced operating hours, increased number of upcharge events, and things like that are one thing but when I keep seeing more downtime on rides, and reports of dirty parks coupled with moves like resort parking fees, well it just feels like Disney giving me the finger and saying donít come back we donít care somebody will pay it and put up with our crap. Iím a laid back guy and I can put up with a lot, annual price increases donít both me, tiered pricing on hotels and tickets donít bother me. But I guess Iím at the point where I just donít feel like Iím getting enough back for what I put in given the perceived attitude of Disney operations.
    Iím still debating if I should book a trip for early 2019, I really want to, but thereís a lot of this world I havenít seen.

In short, Disney I donít want to stop visiting. I want to come spend my vacation time and money on you, please just give me a reason to visit, please make me feel appreciated. If not maybe it is time to visit Italy, or Norway or Germany instead of their pavilions in EPCOT.

I apologize for the long and whiny post, itís just some thoughts that have been on my mind and I finally had to put it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pres.Merkin View Post
    For what it’s worth I’d like to add my two cents in here. In the interest of full disclosure, I was fortunate enough to visit WDW twice in 2017. Both times I flew and stayed onsite using MDE and Disney transportation. Now even though I’m a relatively short nine hour drive away, thanks to an abundance of airline miles I will continue to fly so the parking fees don’t impact me as of now. I will say if I was to drive or rent a car id be moved to stay off site after this change. This latest move aggravates me.

Over the past few weeks I have been caught between my heart telling me to go back to WDW and my brain telling me to use my 2018 vacation dollars someplace else. To me a trip to WDW is an escape from the real world, and up till recently I felt like Disney understood that and was even a partner in this mindset. Disney was always there to say “hey we know you need a break, and we are here for you and we will do everything we can for you”. Now I fully understand in the back of my mind that Disney has always done what they can to save and make a buck but it just feels like recently things have gone a bit too far at the expense of customer experience.

I took my last trip in September of 17, and before that was January of 17, and I could tell a difference in September. While it didn’t seem like the park was any more crowded the lines seemed much longer. I’m well aware of the reduced capacity that Josh has been talking about for a while (even if others are just now catching on). Reduced operating hours, increased number of upcharge events, and things like that are one thing but when I keep seeing more downtime on rides, and reports of dirty parks coupled with moves like resort parking fees, well it just feels like Disney giving me the finger and saying don’t come back we don’t care somebody will pay it and put up with our crap. I’m a laid back guy and I can put up with a lot, annual price increases don’t both me, tiered pricing on hotels and tickets don’t bother me. But I guess I’m at the point where I just don’t feel like I’m getting enough back for what I put in given the perceived attitude of Disney operations.
    I’m still debating if I should book a trip for early 2019, I really want to, but there’s a lot of this world I haven’t seen.

In short, Disney I don’t want to stop visiting. I want to come spend my vacation time and money on you, please just give me a reason to visit, please make me feel appreciated. If not maybe it is time to visit Italy, or Norway or Germany instead of their pavilions in EPCOT.

I apologize for the long and whiny post, it’s just some thoughts that have been on my mind and I finally had to put it out there.
    Have you seen this thread? Come join the party.
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...t-as-a-WDW-fan
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Anyone think the "nickel and dime-ing" is in preparation for Star Wars opening up? To me it makes sense that Disney is slowly adding in some extra costs because even if people get mad about it now, come 2019 when the Millennium Falcon is open the crowds are gonna flock the World and pay whatever the heck Disney wants no questions asked. Of course, Disney is going to try to capitalize on the increased crowds there for Star Wars in any way they can.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmurphy727 View Post
    Anyone think the "nickel and dime-ing" is in preparation for Star Wars opening up?
    My guess is that it is Chapek looking for another way to boost quarterly earnings growth comparisons in the CEO race https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-for-new-jobs
    Struggling author of yourfirstvisit.net and co-author of The easy Guide.

The parking fees don't effect me personally, as we typically don't rent a car in Disney. But it is another item in a long line of how Disney is getting more expensive. Not only are the pricing of everything going up, but the valve of it all is going down. We all have plenty of examples of that over the years.

Disney is skating a fine line here. There comes a certain point where people will just say it is not worth it anymore. But with attendance up and earnings up they are getting away with it for now. When they do tip the scale I think the fallout will be big.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cboyer View Post
    But it is another item in a long line of how Disney is getting more expensive. Not only are the pricing of everything going up, but the valve of it all is going down.

Totally agree.
    Erin

They seem to leave the UK & Ireland market out of this fee for now.

"Official news from Disney UK is that for any booking made before 31/12/2019 parking will be free. Bookings made on or after 31/12/2019 will be charged as per the prices stated.

This applied to all UK and Ireland bookings from not only Disney UK but from other UK travel agents too."