Thread: Help with getting groceries while at WBC

Help with getting groceries while at WBC

For our upcoming trip, we will be staying for a week at WBC. This will be our first time staying at WBC and I'm very excited about it. I am now trying to figure out how to get groceries for the week.

1. I've looked into Garden Grocer and Instacart, but I'm not sure exactly where they deliver the groceries at WBC. Do they leave them at the front desk? Will the front desk keep the perishables cold? Since I've never been to WBC, I don't know the set-up of the check-in area.

2. We will have a car, so we can do our own shopping, though I would like to save the time and hassle and have someone else shop for me if I can. If we end up doing our own shopping, I've found a Publix in the Regency shopping center (8145 vineland) and a SuperWalmart at 3250 Vineland. They get good reviews online. Does anyone have experience with these stores? Are they nice for shopping? Any other suggestions for nice grocery stores near WBC?

3. I would love to find a grocery store that shops for you, but then you pick up the groceries rather than have them deliver. That would solve both of my problems. From what I can tell, the two stores I found (above) don't offer this service. Any local know of a good grocery store that does grocery pick-up and is reasonably close to WBC?

Thanks for any help that you can provide! Ada

It looks like there is a Walmart with grocery pickup off 192 in Kissimmee. I think this location is fairly recent, as weve used Walmart grocery pickup on our way into town but the closest stores were 20-25 miles out (but on our way, as we drive to WDW). We love this option and have done it twice at Disney, and once when we stayed in Myrtle Beach for Christmas.

ETA: Im glad this prompted me to find that newly offered location. Our arrival plans are a little different than usual for our next trip, and I was afraid Id have to do real shopping, but Im totally going to do pickup at this Walmart in May.

Thanks! I just checked looked into this. It looks like there are 2 Walmarts that offer pickup, one on Vine St. and one on Old Lake Wilson Rd. The one on Lake Wilson Road looks brand new, so that may be the one you are referring to. It is super close to Windor Hills, so that would be great for anyone staying there. I think we'll go with pick-up at Walmart, we can also order non-grocery-walmart-type-items that you always need but don't realize you do...

Yes, the one on Old Lake Wilson Road. I didn't even register the one on Vine Street, because when searching by distance one of the other locations I'd used in the past (near the intersection of 27 and 192) was still closer (and probably more convenient) than the Vine Street location. But the new one on Old Lake Wilson road looks close to the Sherberth entrance/shortcut, too, which makes it extra appealing to completely avoid 192 except to cross it.

Should you decide to change your mind and use Garden Grocer (or whatever service), they do deliver to WBC and they will keep your perishables cold/frozen. While I haven't used this service since 2012, you may want to call and double check, but it certainly worked for us. After we checked in and hauled luggage to the room, I called down to bell services (or whatever it's called) and they brought up the food asap.

FYI, checking in there can sometimes be a pain. I've stayed there 4 times now and only once was there not a line at check in. They will tell you to go to a second desk to acquire your parking pass. This is where they do the sales pitch for timeshares. You do not need a parking pass, and you do not need to get one. I only listened to it the first time because I didn't know. (and shut them up quickly when I said my husband had just lost his job - true story) You will see when you pull into the drive, the security booth is much like those at the WDW resorts. Two lines, the one on the left is manned and you speak with the security guard. The one on the right has the gate that is lifted up when you enter your room key - hence why you don't need the parking pass. :)

It's a lovely resort, my first choice for any trip to Disney! Enjoy it!
    Tanya

Medals received : 08 WDW Half ~ 10 Princess Half + 10 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 11 WDW Full ~ 11 Wine & Dine Half ~ 12 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 12 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 13 Half + Full = GOOFY ~ 13 Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare + C2C ~ 14 January Marathon Volunteer ~ 14 ToT 10 miler ~ 15 DOPEY Challenge ~ 15 Avengers ~ 17 cxld Half ~ 2017 DLParis

Medals pending : 2021 Star Wars, 2023 Glass Slipper + Tink

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will call WBC and ask them about Garden Grocer. I'd much rather hot the pool after check-in than go to the grocery store!

Do you have amazon? Have you considered trying amazon now? I'm trying it now for our trip this week!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

We do have Amazon prime and I read about Amazon Now, but I haven't looked into it yet. Do they have dairy/frozen/refrigerated items?

Thanks so much for the location of Walmart pickup that is close to Windsor Hills! Definitely will do this when we are there in November. I use it here regularly and love it.
    2014--Sept. 19-27 (POFQ w/ daughter)

Quote Originally Posted by ada View Post
    We do have Amazon prime and I read about Amazon Now, but I haven't looked into it yet. Do they have dairy/frozen/refrigerated items?
    They do. Where we live they will bring you stuff from amazon (there are cold items) or from Sprouts grocery if you choose. We use it at home a lot. I would totally use it for a small order at Disney. Tricia, post back about how delivery goes. That would be the one thing I would be semi unsure of.

I love Instacart. I use it at home, at WDW, on other vacations, and anywhere I can. I've only had groceries delivered to rental houses, but I'm guessing they'd deliver to your door. It's fine because you can usually get groceries delivered within a 2-3 hour window (depending on how many other people have ordered groceries before you), so it's not too difficult to arrange to be there when they get there. That and Amazon should be the cheapest ways to get delivery. Obviously, Walmart is cheapest if you want to pick your groceries up yourself, but I looked into it shortly before our last trip and they were booked out for over a week. I wasn't ready to finalize things that early.

We normally use instacart or Garden Grocer as well. Its convenient and they have everything we need. Im sure it is not the absolute cheapest, but the convenience makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
    I love Instacart. I use it at home, at WDW, on other vacations, and anywhere I can. I've only had groceries delivered to rental houses, but I'm guessing they'd deliver to your door. It's fine because you can usually get groceries delivered within a 2-3 hour window (depending on how many other people have ordered groceries before you), so it's not too difficult to arrange to be there when they get there. That and Amazon should be the cheapest ways to get delivery. Obviously, Walmart is cheapest if you want to pick your groceries up yourself, but I looked into it shortly before our last trip and they were booked out for over a week. I wasn't ready to finalize things that early.
    Can I pick your brain about this?

I'm leaning towards instacart this Sat for our arrival in Orlando (we are staying off site at Grand Villas). We've got a pretty tight arrival day schedule and I've never used any grocery delivery service at all so I have no experience.

How accurate is the arrival window typically? How far in advance should you place the order to make sure it gets to you at a certain time?

We can't check in to our condo until 4pm and need to leave for a dinner reservation no later than 530pm, so I am desperately trying to make sure groceries are delivered somewhere within that window.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It has been a couple years, but I have been to the Walmart on Vineland and Osceola. It may not have been the best grocery store in the world, but it seemed fine. Maybe because it was different, but it seemed bigger than my hometown store. Although, I really don't shop at Wally World any more. We are staying at Bonnet Creek in a couple weeks. If I don't try the new one that was mentioned on Old Lake Wilson, I will go back to this one. I will take a side trip down the little nearby street, Polynesian Isle, and head toward 192. It runs right into Krispy Kreme donuts at 192.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_G View Post
    Can I pick your brain about this?

I'm leaning towards instacart this Sat for our arrival in Orlando (we are staying off site at Grand Villas). We've got a pretty tight arrival day schedule and I've never used any grocery delivery service at all so I have no experience.

How accurate is the arrival window typically? How far in advance should you place the order to make sure it gets to you at a certain time?

We can't check in to our condo until 4pm and need to leave for a dinner reservation no later than 530pm, so I am desperately trying to make sure groceries are delivered somewhere within that window.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    My Instacart experience has typically been that the delivery window is an hour. You get to select the window of your choice when you order. You will also get a better idea through notifications once they are on their way.
    So far my order has always been on time.

I may fill up my cart at both Amazon Now and Walmart a couple of weeks before my trip, look at the totals, and pit my frugal side vs. my lazy side. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by paxsarah View Post
    I may fill up my cart at both Amazon Now and Walmart a couple of weeks before my trip, look at the totals, and pit my frugal side vs. my lazy side. ;)
    I do this sometimes at home lol!

Instacart has one hour delivery windows that are on the hour (like 3 to 4 and 4 to 5). If you want a specific one hour window, you should probably place your order and pick your window that morning. You would *probably* be able to pick the 4:00 to 5:00 window at around 1:00 or 2:00 that afternoon, but if a lot of people have placed orders, the delivery times will be backed out. Until someone picks up your order and starts shopping it, you can even modify your order and even modify your delivery window.