Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Last Trip For a Few Years (no, really this time)

Our Last Trip For a Few Years (no, really this time)

Updating with our trip video: https://youtu.be/ASUPFMFHUgA

Only 3 more sleeps till we head to Disney!!!!

Does it annoy non-parents when parents count down days by how many “sleeps”? I feel like that would be annoying.

Cast is DH, DD (9) and myself. This will be our first time staying at Wilderness Lodge. Pretty excited about that.

Also plan to try some new-to-us restaurants this time - Skipper Canteen, Tusker House, the new canteen in Pandora that I can’t spell without looking it up (Satuli? There’s an apostrophe somewhere?), Biergarten, Geyser Point, BOG PPO breakfast. And some old favorites - ‘Ohana, Whispering Canyon, 1900 PF, Sci-Fi.

I’m looking forward to seeing Pandora and riding FOP. DH is just looking forward to being off work. And DDs one and only wish in life is meet Chewbacca. And also that talking Mickey will actually be talking. Guess that’s two wishes.

Every time we plan a trip we say “this is it for awhile”. But then we figure out a way to come up with the cash and we go again. Our last trip in October 2015 we said “for real” this is it for like five years. Then we decided we could swing a universal trip last January - it’s not Disney but still a big trip. And we said “ok, for real this time” this is it for awhile, we’re not going back to Orlando. Then in March we moved and sold our house for more of a profit that we were expecting. I was prepared to put every dime in savings I wasn’t even gonna mention the D word. Then one morning DH looks over at me and says “what do you think about using some of that money from the house to go to Disney?” Which basically meant the trip was a done deal. I told him I’m the weak one he has to be the strong one and if he’s mentioning a Disney trip he better be 100% prepared for me to book it immediately. And so here we are - headed back to Disney in 3 more sleeps.

And “really!!” this will be our last trip for a few years. At least that’s what we’re telling ourselves. ��
    Last edited by cdmurphy727; 02-04-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Very exciting!! We definitely want to stay at Wilderness Lodge in the future. Sounds like a fun trip planned. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back. Have a great trip!

Yay, Wilderness Lodge! I am envious. I hope you love it as much as we did. Can't wait to go back!

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
    Very exciting!! We definitely want to stay at Wilderness Lodge in the future. Sounds like a fun trip planned. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back. Have a great trip!
    Thanks so much! WL has been on my wishlist since our very first Disney trip. I’m excited to finally stay there!!

Quote Originally Posted by kfernandes View Post
    Yay, Wilderness Lodge! I am envious. I hope you love it as much as we did. Can't wait to go back!
    I hope my family loves it. They are both still a little bitter that we aren’t staying at AKL. Even though we’ve stayed there 3 times. They’re reluctant to try a new place. I’m excites about it though!!

We also loved Wilderness Lodge!! We did a split stay so we left our first resort and went to MK for the day. Then we tool the boat over to WL in the afternoon and I was literally in awe. That first glimpse was amazing! I think I embarrassed my family because I just kept saying "Wow! Look at that resort. This is beautiful! I can't believe we get to stay here. This is amazing!" It was lovely. I loved how deep the theming was and how I really felt like I was stepping far away from WDW and into the West. Other hotels are richly themed, but they often still feel like Florida/ part of WDW. This truly felt like a different world to me.
    Kate

We stayed at Old Key West last February (and last week!) and took the time to go to Wilderness Lodge to look around. We loved it so much that we bought DVC at Boulder Ridge this past Fall. We haven't stayed there yet but we will be there in April. Looking forward to reading about your experience there if you have time to report back.

We got to stay 2 nights at Copper Creek Villas our last trip. Although the room was nice, it was the lobby that "wow"ed me - so beautiful!

So exciting! My hubs and I said on our first trip to WDW together that we would go back when our kids were 7 and 4...that was four trips ago, and they are just now 5 and 2! Have a great trip!

Our trips overlap! I hope you all enjoy some of the new restaurants you're trying - Tusker House and Biergarten are a couple of my favorites! Hope you guys have a great trip!
    Walt Disney World Trips
    1997 1 day in MK only | 1999 Coronado Springs | 2003 Riverside | 2004 French Quarter | 2006 Riverside | 2007 offsite w/ HS band | 2009 Grand Floridian | 2010 offsite; Water Park only | 2011 Wilderness Lodge | 2013 Contemporary | 2015 Polynesian
    | 2018 French Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Carley View Post
    So exciting! My hubs and I said on our first trip to WDW together that we would go back when our kids were 7 and 4...that was four trips ago, and they are just now 5 and 2! Have a great trip!
    that seems to be the way it goes with us too.

Quote Originally Posted by katiew View Post
    Our trips overlap! I hope you all enjoy some of the new restaurants you're trying - Tusker House and Biergarten are a couple of my favorites! Hope you guys have a great trip!
    thank you! Hope you have a great trip as well!!

Have fun! We’ve started counting down too. We haven’t been in over a year, but we’ve been to Universal... we have Orlando issues...
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Have fun! We’ve started counting down too. We haven’t been in over a year, but we’ve been to Universal... we have Orlando issues...
    Same here! We are going to WDW in April and I said to my husband, how about we go back to Universal the beginning of November...

Quote Originally Posted by nolarookie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys View Post
    Same here! We are going to WDW in April and I said to my husband, how about we go back to Universal the beginning of November...
    Not to encourage the Orlando addiction but...the next thing on my “Orlando must do” list is Harry Potter world at Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by cdmurphy727 View Post
    Not to encourage the Orlando addiction but...the next thing on my “Orlando must do” list is Harry Potter world at Christmas.
    You're not alone! On my list, as well.

Well we have completed day 3 and we have had a lot of fun but there have also been a few hiccups not the least of which is foot pain.

We arrived on time and took ME to WL. Got to our room in Boulder Ridge, dropped our stuff and headed to MK. We’ve done Saturday night at MK before, we are aware it’s busy but I think after traveling all day my tolerance for people was at a low. It was not magical. Stopped first at guest relations to get the DAS for DD. Then headed over to meet Mickey. No amount of “it might not happen” would convince DD that Mickey might not be talking. Unfortunately he was not and it was tragic. So upon arrival we’ve got too many people, a line at guest relations and a non-talking Mickey. The start of our trip was unfortunate. We ate dinner at Columbia Harbour House and then used FP at Haunted Mansion. We’ve ridden HM many times but maybe the travel day had caught up to all of us and for the first time DD was terrified. So basically her whole day had been horrible thus far. At this point we decided to try once more for a talking Mickey and then call it a night. And HE WAS TALKING ALL IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD AGAIN THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!!!!

Headed back to WL for bed. I LOVE WL. I think it’s gorgeous. My husband thinks it’s just a big log cabin and while he may be technically right I think it’s lovely. Our room was great. The only negative is that the pull out couch bed is super uncomfortable. Even my 9 year old said it was too hard and she is pretty much oblivious to stuff like that. So we folded that back up and she slept on the Murphy bed under the tv. Thankfully it is much more comfortable and it’s nice to have the couch sitting area anyway. But for any family with more than 3 people it would be challenging to sleep everyone comfortably.

Day 2 we were up at the crack of dawn because VACAY!!! Headed to AK. We went to EE first and forced our crying child to ride it because we knew she would love it. All three of us rode once them DH rode two more times all before 9:30. DD didn’t love it at first but after she sat for a minute she realized it was great and begged to ride it again (which we did later). Headed over to Africa to do all the things there then ate lunch at Tusker House. That was new for us and we enjoyed it. Food was delicious. After lunch we used FP at EE (DD LOVED it...we knew she would, we are forgiven for forcing her to ride it earlier), in the rain-we got soaked. Then to dinoland. We rode Dinosaur. This was the first time I’d ridden it since our very first trip in 2010. It took about 8 seconds for me to realize “oh yeah that’s why I don’t ride this”. Then watched Nemo and headed to Pandora.

Pandora is lovely. FOP is amazing. Satuli was delicious. I agree with all the reviews that you’ve already seen that told you all those things. But even so, I do not understand how people stand in line for hours....just do not get it. We did thoroughly enjoy all the Pandora things. Then we headed back to EE to ride before getting a seat for ROL. At this point it started steadily raining. Ponchos weren’t helping. We sat though ROL just drenched. And then leaving the park after we got completely soaked. Thankfully it was warm and we really just tried to laugh and make the best of it. It’ll be a fun memory someday...hey remember that time mom made us sit through that show at AK and we all got pneumonia? Good times. Even with the rain we had a great day. We have a “flex day” planned for Wednesday but I made FP for AK just in case we all wanted to ride FOP again and I think that will be what we do.

I’ll post a few more thoughts after I get DD in bed.

Today was day 3 and we spent it at Epcot. First ride of the day was Soarin. I hadn’t seen it since the new video was rolled out. I had intentionally avoided watching the new video so that I’d be surprised. I did notice quite a bit of distortion but I knew that was going to be the case and had made my peace with it. What I really disliked was the jarring transitions between places. I guess the old film had those “comin at ya” moments but maybe there are more in this film or maybe I’m old now and can’t handle it. Either way - I did not enjoy it as much as I had the old film. Don’t let my negative Nancy opinion get you down if you haven’t seen it yet - I had high hopes and perhaps my expectations were impractical.

We did a few other things in future world including meeting Baymax and DDs first ride on test track. She has talked about riding it for a long time and then we get there and she gets scared so being the good parents that we are we forced her to ride it even through tears. Aaaaaannnnddddd... she loved it. Of course. Lunch at Biergarten was a first for us. Food was good (helps if you like sausage which is not my fav but I still enjoyed the food) and the show was fun. Probably not something our family would have to do again but we enjoyed doing it once.

By this point in the day my feet were killing me. One doesn’t go from walking 0 miles a day to 8 miles a day without some foot pain. But it is worse this trip than it’s ever been. I have been miserable all day.

We rode the frozen ride. It is cute. I thought it was well done. Then on to meet Anna/Elsa. Standing in that line almost killed me but then DD got some special attention from Anna and Elsa. After everyone else had cleared the room Anna came over and joined in the Elsa meet. So DD got to interact with both of them for probably 4/5 minutes and took quite a few pictures with them together. It was great and made the foot agony worth it.

07E9BBB2-9D7A-4034-8DDC-3142F599F116.jpg

After that we rode Spaceship Earth and headed back to the room for an early night. Ate dinner tonight from Geyser Point. It was delicious! Thanks to Josh for his review which is what made me want to try it. The menu is a bit limited but the food is a much higher quality than the standard resort QS we have experienced. Would recommend.

Tomorrow is back to MK. Hopefully my feet feel better than they did today.

Day 4 at MK was a blast. Mine train and BTMRR are two of DDs favorites so it was a good day as far as rides go. No tears thank goodness. And met a few characters too. It was actually chilly which made for very pleasant park touring. We had dinner at 1900 Park Fare and the character interactions were great. I think that’s probably my favorite of the character meals. DD negotiated a contract with Lady Tremaine to be her new maid, scolded Anastasia for tearing Cinderella’s dress in the movie and impressed Drisella by telling her she was going to steal Prince Charming from Cindy.
    22B00F91-FD63-4A4C-964B-F300DD2CE2D8.jpg
    After dinner we rode the boat back to WL during the fireworks. Which was a lovely way to end the night.

Today is our “sleep in” day so naturally DD was up at 7:15. We’re headed to Disney Springs for a bit of shopping and lunch then to AK to use FP and meet Mickey/Minnie. DD wants to ride PW for the first time so prayers for my safety are appreciated.

I keep saying the same thing to my DH...but I really want to see Disney at Christmas. The kids are only this age once! Now I'm planning our next trip this December renting a dvc at beach club. It's almost two years since our last trip was Feb2017. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge for our first time and just LOVED it! Such a beautiful and interesting resort. Have fun!!

2011 offsite, 2013 AKL Kidani, 2014 Boardwalk Inn, 2015 Mom/Daughter POP, 2016 offsite, 2017 Wilderness Lodge, 2018 Beach Club, 2019 TBA Mom/Son

Sending well wishes for PW... Its a one and done for me!!
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/dreambuildertricia

Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    Sending well wishes for PW... Its a one and done for me!!
    I got out of it! Woohoo! DH took DD while I stood in line for Pluto. Not sad about missing the ride.

Shopping slash AK Day was a success. I avoided the ride on PW and we enjoyed another ride on FOP and several on EE. DD has gotten over her fear of the fast rides. She even said tonight that we don’t have to ride PP at MK tomorrow because “it’s not fast enough”. Part of me loves that she’s growing up and enjoying the bigger rides. Part of me wants her to stay little and just ride PP forever. At least she still loves the characters.
    691E4693-E8BF-4B16-8D4C-C7085575DCCD.jpg
    Another full day at MK tomorrow. PPO breakfast at BOG, lunch at Skipper Canteen and dinner at Whispering Canyon. So we should all be properly stuffed by the end of the day.

I hear you. My kids LOVED Peter Pan so i now love it. Now the kids are over it, but I’m soooo not
    Brandi

Today we learned that PPO breakfast is not for us. We are cranky people in the morning. Especially on day 6 at Disney when no one wants to get up in time. We did manage to scarf down our food and make it to the mine train line before the hordes from the front. And by lunch time or so we all started speaking to each other again. LOL The extra ride on 7DMT is not worth it for us. Not an experience I would be willing to repeat. But for those that don’t hate each other before 8 am it’s a good opportunity to ride 7DMT with no wait. We were off the ride and on with our day by 9:12.
    E333E6CE-1F3D-407C-B5EE-1235415D90E0.jpg
    The rest of the day went well. Got to meet Gaston which is always a hoot. Lunch at Skipper Canteen was good. It’s not my fav but it was good. My meal was spicy. She warned me it would be “a little” spicy but I am such a pansy when it comes to spicy food. DD thoroughly enjoyed her meal however so anywhere that she eats without fuss is a win for me. Rode BTMRR a couple more times. Elbowed people out of the way to catch the parade. And met Mickey on the way out. And HE WAS TALKING THIS IS THE BEST VACAY EVER!!!

Nice relaxing boat ride over to WL for Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe. The atmosphere isn’t for everyone but we had fun. Tomorrow is HS. DD has been waiting practically her whole life to meet Chewbacca so we’re looking forward to a fun day.

I loved meeting Chewbacca for the first time. It was by far my favorite meet and greet ever. Since I’m an adult, I know your daughter will love it!
    Brandi