Thread: "Rainy Days and Mondays" always get me down

"Rainy Days and Mondays" always get me down

That's an old song from The Carpenters (it's on You Tube).

I'm curious to see the responses to the following:
    You spent a lot of time planning your Disney World trip, (and a lot of money for your on site hotel room with your family of four) where you are planning to visit each park once per day, and then spend that fifth day relaxing at the pool and visiting Disney Springs, before heading over to MVMCP that evening.

The little black cloud that usually hovers over you has decided to follow you on your trip and surprise, the weather has changed so that there will be rain with thunder and lightening every day of your trip.
    While the kids can most certainly amuse themselves plugged into their phones re-watching season one of "Riverdale" on Netflix, and one of you can watch Stacy over and over again on the TV in your hotel room, those park and party tickets were expensive and you "need to suck it up" and put on that poncho.

What outside attractions or entertainment were you surprised to find to be operating during your days of inclement weather or what other things did you do to fill the gap for those attractions or entertainment that were "temporally closed" because of that inclement weather? How did crowd level affect your touring? How did the darn poncho affect your touring? What attraction did you enjoy multiple times?

I love it when it rains, the parks clear out. Everything runs unless there’s lightening in the area, but then only outdoor attractions. I think it would be very very odd for there to be thunderstorms all day every day during your trip.
    Brandi

Some parks are easier than others. EP attractions are almost all indoors (TT excepted) MK has tons to do in the rain
    HS will only impact shows like Indy & BatB. AK is the toughest in the rain possibly with KS, KRR and EE impacted.
    But, thunderstorms don't tend to last all day and do help to clear out the crowds so even though the ponchos might be a pain in the bottom, you can have lots of fun at WDW even in the rain.
    the kids were really excited to ride space 3 times in a row the day hurricane Matthew hit, and I was thrilled when we had a Pirates boat to ourselves at 3 in the afternoon. In fact that was one of our most fun (and memorable) days at WDW. Right up there with our first family visit.
    The one important thing to do is take shelter in an attraction not a restaurant or store during a downpour. They get insanely crowded and why waste your time in that atmosphere when you could be having fun.
    ~Stacey

Somewhere between Seattle Washington & the Canadian border
    Having been born in Seattle and lived in the Seattle are all my life I'm used to rain. So, if it actually does what I consider rain I just put up my hood and if it's bad enough put on a poncho and keep going. Although, I always find it entertaining how empty the parks get when it rains.

We've been to WDW quite a bit in the rain. We just make the best of it. We do a lot of shopping and "sight seeing". And of course, hit the attractions that are still open. A couple of years ago it started raining early evening and did not stop for hours. Very unusual, but my daughter, her friend and myself(my wife went back to the resort) just went and resort hopped. After the whole mono rail trip, we went to AOA. That night it was almost impossible to walk without stepping on snails. We had a blast. No ponchos or umbrellas. This was in August, so even in the rain it was quite warm.
    We also use rainy days to do things that we might not normally do. Like the Tiki House. Boring, but old Disney.
    The worst part was after getting off on RnR, there were so many people in the long "tunnel" going from the store to the outside, you could hardly get out.
    Living The Dream

I've not spent full days at the parks in the rain, but I would hope the parks would clear out and lines would be short.

I think someone on the boards has a signature about a rainy day at disney is better then being at work.
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

living life to its fullest 3Caballeros's Avatar
    It appears that you are asking about the MK in particular because of the Christmas party tickets. First of all, I rarely even look at the weather forecast more than the morning of because it can change on a dime. Secondly, yes, you did spend a boatload of money on those party tickets and nothing should stop you and the entire family from getting there with ponchos on (if it's raining or if you just like to wear ponchos) and enjoy every last second of your time in the MK :) As mentioned before, unless there is lightning in the area, it won't be a problem. Just embrace the rain and decide you will be wet for the evening as you're having a great time!

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    OP almost had my sympathy until he had to explain that the thread title comes from an old Carpenters song. I had that 45 when it came out. And please don’t tell me you have to Google “45.” I’m fragile.
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    OP almost had my sympathy until he had to explain that the thread title comes from an old Carpenters song. I had that 45 when it came out. And please don’t tell me you have to Google “45.” I’m fragile.
    Fragility comes in old age, no? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFoQxjgbrs
    Tricia
    www.dreambuilderstravel.com
    www.facebook.com/triciadreambuilderstravel

wishes he had a pink frolicing llama under his tagline George's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
    Fragility comes in old age, no? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjFoQxjgbrs
    http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2150/847827/22364569/379301318.jpg

Quiet, both of ya! You're gonna ruin Maw's birthday!

Stupid Judy.

But Sandy Plankton said...

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    OP almost had my sympathy until he had to explain that the thread title comes from an old Carpenters song. I had that 45 when it came out. And please donít tell me you have to Google ď45.Ē Iím fragile.
    Had stacks and stacks of 45s (secretly hoping in a box somewhere). My 17 year old wants me to pull out the turntable from the basement so she can play her Harry Styles record.

I remember when, years ago, there was some song about a woman wanting to "rock on" and it said she had "her 45 on." I felt so old when I realized that she had 45 SPF sunblock on rather than a record player.

Regarding rain, one thing I might want to do if there was going to be a lot of rain, day after day, is get good ponchos. That could be Disney ponchos, or it could be ones you buy at a different store if that's important to you or you'd rather have a rain coat. I ordered cheap disposable ponchos off Amazon for our last trip, and they were fine since we didn't need them often. They ripped easily and wouldn't have lasted a day if we'd needed them the whole day. My asthmatic kiddo earned himself an official Disney poncho when the cheap ones gave him an asthma attack. I really didn't mind the ponchos (other than the heat), but I think something that fit a little better would have been appreciated if worn longer. We had two half-days of rain out of 10 days in the parks.

How did you handle the feet are soaked issue? Grin and bear it or did you have a work around?

I grin and bear the wet feet. My daughter wore some fancy sandals she bought for $110 that she loves. Me, I'm not a sandal wearing person. I pack a few pare of shoes.
    Living The Dream

We wear sport sandals (mine are Teva) on days with high probability of wet feet (rain or water rides.)
    We'd rather get our feet soaked and dry out quickly than slosh around in running shoes all day.
    This is a great time of year to buy sport sandals online. Lots on sale
    ~Stacey

We just returned and had a pretty bad forecast before we arrived calling for rain and thunderstorms 3 out of 6 days. In reality it only rained one day late afternoon/evening and was cloudy 2 days. Due to the forecast I had actually packed raincoats with hoods for all of us along with a 2nd pair of shoes each of us could wear in the parks if needed.

The other thing I did was made 2 itineraries for our Epcot day due to the possibility of rain and its impact on test track. If it was open in the morning we would ride just in case it was raining later. It sprinkled in the morning which shut it down until about 10:30 but it re-opened and we were able to ride before lunch which turned out to be a good decision since it was pouring when we returned before dinner and the ride stayed closed for the night I think.

It started raining as we were getting ready to return to Epcot for the evening. It was raining pretty hard as we walked to Spaceship earth with many people walking out of the park. By the time we finished with SE it was only sprinkling. Rode MS, FEA and headed to a 7:00 reservation. During dinner it poured but was completely stopped by 8:45 when we finished and easily got a spot to watch illuminations on the bridge between France and England.

Quote Originally Posted by ajj221 View Post
    We just returned and had a pretty bad forecast before we arrived calling for rain and thunderstorms 3 out of 6 days. In reality it only rained one day late afternoon/evening and was cloudy 2 days. Due to the forecast I had actually packed raincoats with hoods for all of us along with a 2nd pair of shoes each of us could wear in the parks if needed.

The other thing I did was made 2 itineraries for our Epcot day due to the possibility of rain and its impact on test track. If it was open in the morning we would ride just in case it was raining later. It sprinkled in the morning which shut it down until about 10:30 but it re-opened and we were able to ride before lunch which turned out to be a good decision since it was pouring when we returned before dinner and the ride stayed closed for the night I think.

It started raining as we were getting ready to return to Epcot for the evening. It was raining pretty hard as we walked to Spaceship earth with many people walking out of the park. By the time we finished with SE it was only sprinkling. Rode MS, FEA and headed to a 7:00 reservation. During dinner it poured but was completely stopped by 8:45 when we finished and easily got a spot to watch illuminations on the bridge between France and England.
    Did the rain disperse the crowds enough so that the wait times for the attractions you covered were lessened? Regarding your second set of itineraries, how did your FP+ choices impact it?

I do think the rain reduced crowds. We had a FP for SE that I had moved from late morning and then did MS standby with a 15 minute wait or less. I think Soarin was down to 30 minutes during the rain as well. The bummer was Test track not running.

I had had booked SEVERAL as a late morning FP and FEA for evening before dinner. I was able to move SE to the time slot before FEA when we decided to go to test track about 11am. I am fortunate to get an extra FP for it as a GM employee but if single rider will work for you I would say the time for single rider is comparable to having a FP.

The parks can be great during rain. During a tropical storm, we had AK to ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDad4 View Post
    How did you handle the feet are soaked issue? Grin and bear it or did you have a work around?
    Alert: poor grammar ahead! Learned the hard way from Dumbo before he was moved. First day of the trip in MK. "Dumbo or die" I said. Waited forever in line. Just as I sat down in my elephant, downpour! Dumbo never flew. Water collected at my feet as I waited for the rain to stop and my ride to start. The ride never happened-they made us get off. Feet were soaked. All day. Took 2 days for my shoes to dry.

Lesson learned: I bring water shoes and Crocs (I am OK with the goober look if needed). I have even stuck a pair of cheapo flip flops in my backpack if passing storms are predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDad4 View Post
    Had stacks and stacks of 45s (secretly hoping in a box somewhere). My 17 year old wants me to pull out the turntable from the basement so she can play her Harry Styles record.
    LOL I can relate! My 19 year old ordered a new needle for our old turntable to try to fix it. He actually found one on Amazon.

It rained late afternoon Monday while we were at Epcot and the purchase of a Little Mermaid light-up musical bubble wand kept the fun going. My granddaughter had a ball dancing around in the rain with it and making bubble designs on our rain ponchos that were then conveniently washed off by the rain.
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls
    Oct 2018 Disney Fantasy (HotHS) Coming soon: June 2020 IoA & USF/Disney Dream

We've been at WDW for a hurricane (Jeanne in 2004), arrived the day Katrina blew by (just a lot of rain and some wind) in 2005, had a TS come through on the day we were leaving one year, and been there twice when a tropical storm came through on my son's birthday and rained at least part of the next day (same kid), plus the typical rainy afternoons. It is almost a running joke with us now, there will be some sort of rain on our trip, but what can you do? You can't stop it, it does no good to sit around and whine about it, just go with it. We dumped the ponchos a few trips ago, and we all bring Columbia rain jackets now. We like them much better. I keep a ziploc bag in the pocket of my jacket to keep my phone dry. I wear a ball cap to keep the rain off my glasses. We wear Keen sandals because there is nothing worse that wet socks and sneakers. DS likes to spend his bday at Studios, and we have had to change plans because of Indiana Jones being down, the stunt show (before it closed), and I think that is about all that has affected us. A lot of people do leave the park or stay in (in case of the TS coming through). I think AK is the only park we left because of heavy rain, and that was late in the afternoon when we were almost done anyway.
    Link to June 2018 Trip Report:
    https://www.easywdw.com/forums/showt...d=1#post419048

1997 CBR, 2004 ASMo, 2005 CBR
    2007 Pop x 2, 2008 ASMu, 2009 Pop
    2010 ASMu, 2013 CBR, 2016 CSR
    2018 Windsor Palms

Thank you everyone for responding.