Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "RD" at DHS?

Quote Originally Posted by Micah008 View Post
    Reporting live from the park... It opened at 8:30 today. We grabbed 9:15 FPs for TSMM and rode it TWO times by 8:56. Then got another FP right at 9:15 with an 11:30 return.

Great morning so far!

We were also there Jan 22nd. We grabbed a FP right away, rode TSM twice and rock N roller coaster twice before 10 a.m. So much that when we went to Star tours after the ride we thought we would need a barf bag. It was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. We went back on Thursday Jan 26th and it was more like 8:40 that they opened. It seemed that most of the other people that arrived early still had no idea of the soft opening.

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by blyday View Post
    Yep.....that about covers it. The no-rope drop thing actually allows for a more filtered number of people into the park so you don't get that massive stampede that formed with the RD.....so much better and safer.
    It was so much safer. We felt so much better about it. The turnstile really does slow people down but not only that it just makes it fair. The earlier you are there the earlier you get on the ride. when they stopped everybody on the rope it just created an unfair stampede. I wouldn't even have cared if they waited till 9 to open it as long as it is safe and controlled to walk to TSM.

Quote Originally Posted by TxTiggerFan View Post
    Yay! One of my husband's biggest complaints about rope drop (besides needing to get up early) is the stampede that happens. This will make next week SOO much easier to get him to the parks early.

What about AK? Are they doing something similar there as well?
    We were at AK on Saturday morning. They let people in the park at about 8:45 but they still held us at the rope till 9, which I thought was odd. The good news at least with AK is that people are split between safari and everest and not all stampeding to one slow loading ride.

i hope this holds up. I agree the OFFICIAL opening ceremony creates a dangerous situation.
    Brandi

We were at AK on the 28th, and they let us through the turnstyles at 8:45, but we still had a true rope drop right at 9:00 inside the park. This was the only actual rope drop of our entire week, so it surprised me a little.
    Sounds like we were on the same schedule, Micah. DHS on 22nd and AK on 28th. I guess we both follow Josh's advice.

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by 3goodkids View Post
    We were at HS yesterday (Jan 29) and still no rope drop. Park opened at 8:45. We arrived at 8:15 and were approximatley 5th in our line at the turnstile. I pulled TSM FP with return time of 9:40 and rode with DD5 while DW signed up other kids for JTA. I think we were done riding TSM shortly after 9:00? Pulled another set of TSM FP at 9:40 with return time of 2:45 and went about our day in a normal fashion.

Andy
    I was a little surprised when we were there Thursday. On Sunday we pulled a FP set and had a return time really early like 9:30 and we went on with our day and just rode once with FPs later because all FPs were gone by 11 a.m. On Thursday we went back and thought we would be smarter. We pulled FP, rode once with being 2nd in line, then rode again with about a 15 min wait as the crowd arrived. by the time we got off we had time to grab a quick drink and get another FP but the return time was around 12 something and it really screwed up the rest of our day as far as next fast pass availability. I guess Disney feels that if you get to ride TSM with two fast passes you shouldn't get anymore. Totally different at MK. The earlier we pulled the first one and stayed on top of it, we were pulling them all day at very close times.

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by 3goodkids View Post
    I think the tour groups at HS that day really impacted that. I couldn't believe how many tour groups there were. It wasnt that the park was crowded. They are just applying the same strategy that we all use. Even my small children are ready to turn and walk the other way when we see a tour group.
    I agree on the tour groups. There were multiple times when an entire tour group went into the FastPass line all at once. It really backed up the FastPass line, and basically made the Standby Line stop moving completely while the tried to get the FP line back to "normal". This happened on different rides at multiple parks. But it really didn't change our plans any, it was just something I hadn't seen before.
    Micah

MousePerks
    Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV; Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV (Report); Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR; Aug '20 AKV

We were at AK on the 28th, and they let us through the turnstyles at 8:45, but we still had a true rope drop right at 9:00 inside the park. This was the only actual rope drop of our entire week, so it surprised me a little.
    We were at AK yesterday and they opened the turnstiles at 845, but still had a rope drop (no show) in front of the bridge before discovery island and Asia holding everyone back until 900. I asked the CM at the gate how they've been opening the park and he said they usually will have the rope up so the workers can have time to "clear out in the back" of the park, but it depends on the day and they don't know till they get the word just before the park opens.

I really prefer the non rope drop opening, less mob effect and the turnstiles do a great job of filtering people in, but the crowds in front of the gates do get large and I guess this is their way of making more room for arriving guests.

I agree on the tour groups. There were multiple times when an entire tour group went into the FastPass line all at once. It really backed up the FastPass line, and basically made the Standby Line stop moving completely while the tried to get the FP line back to "normal". This happened on different rides at multiple parks. But it really didn't change our plans any, it was just something I hadn't seen before.
    Those tour groups seem to really love DHS also. We were there all week and saw very few at Epcot, AK or MK, but we went to DHS twice and it was overrun with tour groups. It seems like DHS is always super crowded no matter when we go.