Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ads

Kimbean

Ads

Not complaining, love the site and all the information.

I am now getting pop ads on bottom and covering the bottom of each picture. That's fine, Josh should make a buck. But now the page won't scroll. Loading isn't an issue because I have AT&T fiber gigabit speed. But I can't scroll anymore... I get half way through a blog post and it is just stuck.

Anyone else? Anything that I can do. And Josh have you ever contemplated charging for an ad free site? I would be in.

Kimbean
    Still have been trying to get through one post about Frontera Cocina. This is what it says at bottom...

waiting for pixel.....
    resolving host
    waiting for mediaplex
    waiting for vindicosuite
    waiting for adserver
    Establishing secure connection
    waiting for google
    waiting for moatads
    Just repeats stuff like this over and over and whether I use my mouse or my right bar, I get to see a couple of inches of new blog post every 5 minutes or so?? I have like 3 years to catch up on here. LOL!

he's right
    I was about to suggest you use a different browser, but then I realized I have a cross-site tracking blocker installed, and that filters out all of those pop-up ads. I verified this by whitelisting the site and re-loading a blog post.

I am now getting pop ads on bottom and covering the bottom of each picture. That's fine, Josh should make a buck.
    I'm cool with Josh making a buck, but those things are beyond the pale.

I use Disconnect; it happens to filter out those (but does not filter all ads):
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/t...ching-you.html

Kimbean
    Yeah, ads are fine if everything is still usable. I don't see anyone else complaining so maybe I'm just the only one not smart enough to just get an ad blocker.

Kimbean
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I was about to suggest you use a different browser, but then I realized I have a cross-site tracking blocker installed, and that filters out all of those pop-up ads. I verified this by whitelisting the site and re-loading a blog post.

I'm cool with Josh making a buck, but those things are beyond the pale.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/t...ching-you.html
    Thank you! I can now see the site again!

Julie G
    I am having the exact same issue. I had to stop trying to read the most recent post because of the ads on each picture. At last count, I had encountered 27 ads and had only made it about halfway through. It was impossible to read the post so I closed out of it. I had not encountered this before and felt that something may have changed in the ad settings. I am using Firefox on a desktop. Any assistance would be appreciated. I understand having the ads, but if it does not allow me to read the post that is a big problem.

I read on my iPad with Safari and I don't see any ads that interfere with reading the blog posts. Some show up on the right and the bottom, but nothing that interferes with reading the text or photos or scrolling down the page.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    It's an amusement park, for goodness sake, how much planning could you need?

Mine is fine as well - on both iPad/ chrome and Pc/chrome
    the ads show up but I can still scroll. I can close the ad too
    I think it's about time Josh got paid for the great info/ entertainment he provides here
    ~Stacey

he's right
    I read on my iPad with Safari and I don't see any ads that interfere with reading the blog posts.
    If you do have whatever combination of browser/OS generates the per-picture ads, it's horrible. Even if you can scroll past them and click them away, having an add pop up on each and every picture on those picture-heavy blog posts is bad.

I'm happy to donate to help out with costs, but I won't use the site without Disconnect or something similar, because the hyper-ad version is awful. If that's not cool w/Josh, he can let me know, and I'll stop using the site.

using firefox on a mac they just show up as a side bar and at the very bottom for me, so I pretty much dont notice them, they dont bother me at least.

he's right
    Every single photo in the full-ad version looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 9.32.06 PM.jpg

I suppose some folks might not mind. Personally, I can't stand it (which is why I use a cross-site blocker.)

BQuay
    The pop up ads were driving me nuts. I didn't have them on my lappy, but dropping it a number of times wasn't good So I've been using the wifey's and finally remembered to put the ad block plus extension on chrome- now I'm good to go
    Last edited by BQuay; 05-05-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Posted by Josh in the comments section of the Pandora post this afternoon

"I am trying a different ad network to see if I can improve revenue without being too obnoxious as far as ad size or frequency. It may be a little over the top at the moment, but Iíll eliminate the ads that either donít perform or are too obtrusive in a few days."

Linkura
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Posted by Josh in the comments section of the Pandora post this afternoon

"I am trying a different ad network to see if I can improve revenue without being too obnoxious as far as ad size or frequency. It may be a little over the top at the moment, but I’ll eliminate the ads that either don’t perform or are too obtrusive in a few days."
    Glad he least addressed it. But as is, all of the changes are far too intrusive. The Pandora review is the first I've read with it (as he hadn't posted a new post in about 10 days). He needs to fix it or I'm going to ad-block or just avoid the main site (which I REALLY don't want to do as I LOVE his posts AND would like to give him ad views without blocking them). I'm also afraid that if it's not fixed soon, that other people, particularly newbies, will be put off to the site entirely. I don't want to that to happen as Josh deserves all the clicks and views he can get. But the ads right now are THAT bad.

Linkura
    I was thinking.. there's no ads on the forums currently. Maybe josh could add a banner or two? That wouldn't be intrusive at all and would allow him to get some extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkura View Post
    I was thinking.. there's no ads on the forums currently. Maybe josh could add a banner or two? That wouldn't be intrusive at all and would allow him to get some extra money.
    I don't know anything about the economics of blogging and ads etc but my guess is the forums don't have enough page views to be very profitable. There are thousands of members on the forum, but only 800 or so "active" members. The blog probably gets more traffic?
    Last edited by Anne; 05-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkura View Post
    I typically access the board thru the Tapatalk app which places a few ads that aren't bothersome. Idk who gets that revenue though.

I am active on some other music forums and those have ads on regular pages. They also offer the ability to be a "supporting member" for a small amount. This helps cover the maintenance cost for the board and typically gives a perk of allowing the member to post items for sale in a marketplace section.

Having followed a variety of Disney bloggers on twitter. I have to say Josh is by far the best not just with content but also with not being annoying with the business side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    August 2008 - Carribbean Beach
    August 2010 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
    September 2012 - Pop Century
    September 2014 - Boardwalk - 1st Food & Wine!
    June 2015 - Disney Dream - Family Honeymoon Cruise!
    December 2015 - Pop Century - 1st WDW Christmas!
    October 2016 - Disneyland
    June 2017 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    August 2018 - Port Orleans - Riverside

Concert Junkie when not at Disney

he's right
    I am active on some other music forums and those have ads on regular pages. They also offer the ability to be a "supporting member" for a small amount.
    This is how CoasterBuzz works. You can be a member (for about ~$25/year) and you get a site served with no ads, or you can get an ad-supported version. Being a CB Member also makes you eligible for some amusement park enthusiast events---typically ERT (think EMH but with just a few rides and maybe 100 people total), behind the scenes/pre-opening/post-closing walk backs, etc.

https://coasterbuzz.com/Content/Club

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    I use Disconnect too. I'm not sure if it's just me, but sometimes there is a slight delay opening a site or page. I assume it's Disconnect checking. It used to annoy me, but it's not too bad.

I use AdBlock, and this site reminded me I should put this site on the whitelist because yes, Josh deserves some revenue. But I did look at that page with AdBlock turned off and it froze up my browser, so I'll have to wait until he clears that up.
    Mark
    2004 May Offsite,
    2008 Easter SSR, 2011 February SSR, 2012 February Jambo House/BLT, 2013 Easter BLT, 2014 Easter BWV, 2014 Christmas week CBR, 2015 Easter BWV, 2016 Feb Universal Portofino, 2017 February Poly, 2017 July OKW solo, 2017 Christmas week POFQ, 2018 P-week Wilderness Lodge

Linkura
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I don't know anything about the economics of blogging and ads etc but my guess is the forums don't have enough page views to be very profitable. There are thousands of members on the forum, but only 800 or so "active" members. The blog probably gets more traffic?
    I'm sure the blog gets more traffic, but at least it'd be a little something extra. This is the only forum I go to that DOESN'T have ads.

I'd also be interested in giving to a Patreon or membership or something for this site. I wouldn't for most sites but this one really deserves it.

I agree and would be happy to pay for a membership to this amazing site.

Josh - your efforts and advice are really appreciated by many! Thank you for what you do!!!

As it says at the top of each post and in the comments of the first post with the new ads, I'm trying a new ad service. Basically, I'm seeing what works and will scale back what doesn't or is too obtrusive.

There are two options:

1. easywdw.com exists with ads.
    2. easywdw.com doesn't exist.

I do appreciate everyone with the self control to not tweet me or otherwise bug me about the transition. Those that did will either find themselves a member of the elite IP deny manager list or with a short break from the forum.

he's right
    Can I put in another plug for a (voluntary) membership model? I suspect many of us would pony up. You could even run pledge drives! (Okay, not that last part.)

And have people complain even more about a "lack of content" even though I've been putting in 50 hours a week behind the scenes? I don't think so.