Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ads

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    And have people complain even more about a "lack of content" even though I've been putting in 50 hours a week behind the scenes? I don't think so.
    Keep doing what you are doing. The site is awesome. And seriously the most helpful planning info available. The fact that you care that the ads are currently too much and are looking for a happy medium shows that you are trying to make it work for you and be awesome for your readers.

Have any other suggestions of ways we can help support you and this site that are not 1. ads and their clickage and 2. purchasing the book?

Linkura
    I appreciate that you're transparent and candid about this. Another reason I love this site.

About the ads, I'm learning to live with them other than the fact that the pages take much, much slower to load and sometimes the tab just crashes completely. I'd be fine with just having to x out the ads on the pictures, but the much slower performance of the website is the real killer.

Actually, the hosting company has been having major problems the last three days, which is an unfortunate coincidence considering it's one of only a handful of problems I've had with them over the last couple of years. That's why the website has been having connection issues. But who cares right?

That sucks about the hosting being spotty lately. I feel your pain. Weve had some issues with our website as well. Ive been happier since we switched to squarespace for the hosting. I will admit it was a bit of a pain to get everything appropriately swapped over thought. But that might have more to do that I am no expert in the matter and it took trial and error more than anything else.

Clearly changes have been made by the ad company at Josh's direction, and (IMO) things are perfectly fine now. I just read the Highway in the Sky article and had a banner ad pop up along the bottom when I opened the page, and an ad pop up on the first picture. Then one more ad on a picture about halfway through, and that was it. To me, that's entirely reasonable, and I hope it works for the website's needs, too. Thanks for being responsive to your readers, Josh (on this, and many other things).

Yeah I think so. I have a new company that's in charge of optimizing the ads and they ask you a few questions about what you want them to do. I had said I wanted to go easy on the in-image ads and this is what they sent me:

Obviously that isn't what happened as there was an in-image ad overlay on every single picture. And because it was the weekend, there wasn't a whole lot I could do since it wasn't exactly an emergency and I don't have any real control over their ad code. So it would have probably messed things up pretty royally if I had gone in and tried to do it myself. But more ad revenue just means more content so if I have more money to do things I can review stuff like the parties, food/wine, pricey events, etc. Without that money it's back to Cosmic Ray's for a hamburger again. But I would keep in mind that you clicking "x" three times on a post is what keeps sites like these alive.

If it keeps the site going, I'd gladly click "x" SIX times in a post. Well, assuming it's a long post. But hey, what easywdw post isn't?

I'll see what I can do.

zzoinks
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I do appreciate everyone with the self control to not tweet me or otherwise bug me about the transition. Those that did will either find themselves a member of the elite IP deny manager list or with a short break from the forum.
    So... If I was one of the dolts that got IP banned, is there any way to get off the list? I honestly didn't know I was being a pest, I posted a comment on the blog adding a "me too" to the voices saying we'd support a paid version.

After getting IP banned, I had the extra dumb thought to ask about it on twitter. Which got me blocked on there. Then I saw this post and felt extra stupid.

Is there any chance of getting reinstated?

Thanks,
    -Brett.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

No, there is no mercy.

Does it help more if i click the "x" to close the ad, or do nothing? Or click through the ad? I just want to help.

Okay good news. Amnesty International called and negotiated all of the IP addresses removed from the Deny Manager. Now you won't have to switch the WiFi off on your phone to access the website's precious information.