Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fall Free Dining???

Fall Free Dining???

Has there been any gossip about dates for the release of free dining for this fall?

Any day now hopefully

There was a rumor about a month ago was that fall free dining would be announced end of March. That, obviously, turned out to be wrong.

Hopefully any day now.

I think it usually starts on a Monday, but because this coming Monday is Easter Monday it may be the week after. Just a guess. I'm following the Dis thread (it's actually quite pleasant, surprisingly). A couple of people over there get inside info about the FD details a few days early every year. Hopefully they will share the info again this year.

If we are going on this historical data, we can expect it to be announced 4/24. However, the summer promos came out later this year than last, so it's really anybody's guess at this time.

Why does Disney keep it a secret, wouldn't they make more money by hyping it up before its release?

Judging be the summer and spring discounts, I wouldn't expect it to be a widely offered discount. I could barely book a full priced moderate room for end of May or June. Granted, I am booking for five, which is more limited, but I've never had trouble before.
    June 2011 Poly, May 2013 POR, June 2015 CBR, June 2017 POR, March 2018 CSR, June 2018 POR

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineOH View Post
    Judging be the summer and spring discounts, I wouldn't expect it to be a widely offered discount. I could barely book a full priced moderate room for end of May or June. Granted, I am booking for five, which is more limited, but I've never had trouble before.
    This is a good point. Especially because 2 of the 4 mods are completely under construction with a lot less availability! I would honestly not expect mods to be included in any promo.

In order to quality for free dining how many park tickets and hotel nights do you typically need?
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls
    Oct 2018 Disney Fantasy (HotHS) Coming soon: June 2020 IoA & USF/Disney Dream

Quote Originally Posted by All about me View Post
    In order to quality for free dining how many park tickets and hotel nights do you typically need?
    In the past it's been 3-nights, and at least a 2-day park hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    In the past it's been 3-nights, and at least a 2-day park hopper.
    Thank you!
    Dec 1981 Magic Kingdom/Off-site Dec 1998 Animal Kingdom, MK & Universal Studios Florida/Off-site
    Dec 2005 Disney Wonder & MK (MVMCP)/Port Orleans Riverside & Saratoga Springs Dec 2008 Disney Magic
    Nov 2011 Islands of Adventure & USF/Off-site/RC Liberty of the Seas Aug 2015 IoA & USF/Cabana Bay
    Nov 2016 Epcot, MK, HS & AK/All-Star Movies Oct 2017 AK, Ep & MK (MNSSHP)/ASMo/IoA & USF/Sapphire Falls

I have never attempted to book a promotional rate before. When the promotion does become available, what is the best way to get through---by phone or online?

What time do the phone lines open? What about the online reservation system?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Why does Disney keep it a secret, wouldn't they make more money by hyping it up before its release?
    This might answer your question (10th paragraph). It was certainly not a perspective I had thought of.

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/dis...-dining-dates/

Quote Originally Posted by ada View Post
    I have never attempted to book a promotional rate before. When the promotion does become available, what is the best way to get through---by phone or online?

What time do the phone lines open? What about the online reservation system?

Thanks!
    On the day the promo is released, if you can get it online, do that. The system will likely crash mid-morning. And the phone lines will have long hold times. As in 2-3 hour hold times. "Free Dining Day" is the craziest promo day of the year.
    Last year the promo was "dropped" online at about 5am. The phone lines will open at 7am.

Booking online now

If I book a room online now with the hope of changing the reservation to the free dining promotion later, will I need to choose park hopper tickets and dining plan now? Will I have to choose an "upgraded" room now or can I just go with standard (least expensive)?

You can book whatever you want now, but you should definitely book a package (not room only). If you go to update your booking to include the promo, what you have booked may not fall into the available options, and you'd have to choose a different room, or different resort. And then you'll be prompted to update your tickets to include whatever minimum the promo includes.

Rumour has it (doing my best Adele impression):
    Looks like free dining could be dropping on April 24. Minimum of 4 nights, maximum of 14, with park hopper and park hopper plus add on. Check in dates: 8/13-9/30, 11/14-11/20, 11/25-11/27, 12/3-12/23. It also appears that values AND moderates may get quick service, with regular dining only for deluxe resorts
    Just a rumour

Thanks for the information, looks like an early morning for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    Rumour has it (doing my best Adele impression):
    Looks like free dining could be dropping on April 24. Minimum of 4 nights, maximum of 14, with park hopper and park hopper plus add on. Check in dates: 8/13-9/30, 11/14-11/20, 11/25-11/27, 12/3-12/23. It also appears that values AND moderates may get quick service, with regular dining only for deluxe resorts
    Just a rumour
    Any idea on excluded resorts? We are hoping for POR.

Someone posted the Fd offer for Brazil. I can't read Portuguese, but POR isn't listed as one of the excluded resorts. Hopefully the April 24 offer will include POR for you.
    Essa promoção não é válida para os hotéis All Star Movies, camping do Fort Wilderness, villas de 3 quartos, quarto da Pequena Sereia no Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Port Orleans French Quarter, Bay Lake Tower e Villas do Grand Floridian.

Anyone thinking that Caribbean beach may be excluded because of the $75 nightly gift card deal? It's not being offered anymore, from what I hear. We got in on it for 8/30-9/6.
    Do you think it will be one or the other?
    If that's the case, we may pass on CB. Especially if moderates will only get quick service. We may just go to Pop and save.
    Glad this thread was started. Thanks for all the great info! !

he's right
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgrip View Post
    Anyone thinking that Caribbean beach may be excluded because of the $75 nightly gift card deal? It's not being offered anymore, from what I hear. We got in on it for 8/30-9/6.
    Do you think it will be one or the other?
    If that's the case, we may pass on CB. Especially if moderates will only get quick service. We may just go to Pop and save.
    Glad this thread was started. Thanks for all the great info! !
    As far as I know, you can't just add free dining (or any promotion) onto an existing reservation; you have to rebook it. So, yes--one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by bnoble View Post
    As far as I know, you can't just add free dining (or any promotion) onto an existing reservation; you have to rebook it. So, yes--one or the other.
    Actually, you CAN update your original booking. In fact, there were plenty of folks who have the $75 gift card and were able to double-dip on the summer promos by modifying their reservation. However, the $75 gift cards are no longer available to NEW CBR bookings. They cut them off in March, and are now just offering rooms at a lower rate than the other mods.
    So as long as you don't cancel your CBR booking, and IF they don't exclude CBR, you may be able to modify your existing reservation and include any promo avail.
    The only reason you'd have to cancel for a package promo, is if you have a room-only reservation. Those cannot be made into a package. Those require cancel + re-booking.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    Actually, you CAN update your original booking..
    Not true for us last year. We had a package at POR before the free dining came out and we wanted to upgrade to it. We had to cancel our reservation and make a new one. Did it all over the phone. CM said we had to start from scratch with a new one. She said it makes things horrible as people keep their old reservation in place until the new one is created. That generates a lot of rooms being held on a reservation that is going to be cancelled, and in that interim it blocks someone from getting that room.
    A cold and rainy day at WDW is still better than a day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFredricksen View Post
    Not true for us last year. We had a package at POR before the free dining came out and we wanted to upgrade to it. We had to cancel our reservation and make a new one. Did it all over the phone. CM said we had to start from scratch with a new one. She said it makes things horrible as people keep their old reservation in place until the new one is created. That generates a lot of rooms being held on a reservation that is going to be cancelled, and in that interim it blocks someone from getting that room.
    The CM you were dealing with was unfortunately not correct. You do not have to start from scratch. There is a simple "modify" option that allows you to update your booking and see what's currently available via the promos. I have done it multiple times for multiple clients with no issues.
    It's more difficult if you are changing dates, however. But if everything is staying the same in regards to your dates, it's very simple.
    I will agree that there are plenty of folks who, instead of modifying their current reservation, will put a hold on more than one option (3-day holds do not require deposits) and that can certainly lead to availability being scooped up right away.

ETA: I have dealt with some of the worst CMs on "Free Dining Day" - I even had one flat out tell me she wished she could hang up the phone because she "didn't want to be doing this". So it definitely can be an interesting day when it comes to CMs and their helpfulness.